Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

In-game Webcam

• 1095 posts
    December 12, 2017 10:12 AM PST

I'm not sure if this is possible in a live type webcam like you can find online for like beach areas or those Owl cams people have.

I was sitting here thinking how VR could make a 3D video like you can for Youtube but its in game of a certain area with the weather effects going etc and you could move the camera around in 3d.

That idea lead me to one where VR could put a in game "webcam" that people could watch, it could just be a stationary character that is streaming the footage perhaps watching over Thronefast or even during testing an area people are testing etc.

Could be an idea for a future stream or something, just thought I'd throw this out there maybe it will spark a further flushed out idea in someone.

• 644 posts
    December 12, 2017 10:29 AM PST

I love this idea!  It would be so cool to go to a streaming website and peek in on a certain area.  Maybe see some players running around etc.

• 1095 posts
    December 12, 2017 10:36 AM PST

fazool said:

I love this idea!  It would be so cool to go to a streaming website and peek in on a certain area.  Maybe see some players running around etc.

Yeap, thats what I was thinking also. :)

Thanks

This post was edited by Aich at December 12, 2017 10:38 AM PST
    • 98 posts
    December 12, 2017 2:51 PM PST

I'd want little event cams for when there's an event going on in a small area, so you can stick creepy magic eyeballs in a couple places and have a little crystal ball displaying what they see in your UI. Would be good for streaming.

Otherwise I see no use for them, unless it's showing animal life. (Puffin Cam!!)

• 1404 posts
    December 12, 2017 2:56 PM PST

So like Web Cam's on Mount Rainier, yes cool idea. Would be a nice "bait" to keep a griefier busy and out of trouble... they can get their kicks standing in front of a Web cam lol

https://www.nps.gov/mora/learn/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

• 1095 posts
    December 12, 2017 3:40 PM PST

sorn said:

I'd want little event cams for when there's an event going on in a small area, so you can stick creepy magic eyeballs in a couple places and have a little crystal ball displaying what they see in your UI. Would be good for streaming.

Otherwise I see no use for them, unless it's showing animal life. (Puffin Cam!!)

This would be for viewing while logged out but perhaps there could be a use for some in-game type of thing but that wasnt my initial thought.

I like the idea tho please keep them coming.

• 2752 posts
    December 12, 2017 4:05 PM PST

Would be pretty damn interesting if they incorporated something along those lines as a fun gameplay thing. For example they could have a webcam/stream for a specific mischevious mob that would be spawned in very random and obscure places in the world and it would be up to the players to try and figure out its location based on what they could see in the stream. He could drop something special or rare or random or maybe you don't kill it and it offers a double edged "deal with the devil" or twisted genie wish, it would sort of be a server wide "Where's Waldo" hunt. Once killed (or talked to) it would respawn at a new random location. 

• 2138 posts
    December 12, 2017 4:40 PM PST

If there was anything remotely associated with a smart phone app and this game? I would think this would be it.

However I can see it also being used as additional intel for hard-core player types. Having a camera always on in a certain area would mean all would know where the camera is and avoid going there in a PvP dual scenario for instance.

ooh! what would be cool as a teaser for expansions is maybe a - first person view of a monster, but you would not know it was a monster you would just know it roaming around in its random way- agonizingly unable to have it turn and look again at that thing it just passed or fascinated s it walks to the water to drink and you can see what is under the water.

• 66 posts
    December 14, 2017 4:10 AM PST

FFXI has soemthing similar to this idea. in fact, i just checked and found it on youtube...still LIVE for i dont know how long lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MWXndI77og

Is this kind of what you had in mind?

• 1095 posts
    December 14, 2017 10:11 AM PST

Furty said:

FFXI has soemthing similar to this idea. in fact, i just checked and found it on youtube...still LIVE for i dont know how long lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MWXndI77og

Is this kind of what you had in mind?

Yeah lol, but not in an archway, Id want it 3d perhaps and outdoors or looking over a larger area.

• 17 posts
    December 15, 2017 2:52 AM PST

If there was archiving, or if it was live streaming, It would potentially deter griefers and purposeful trains possibly aswell. 

• 105 posts
    December 18, 2017 12:32 PM PST

Zeem said:

I'm not sure if this is possible in a live type webcam like you can find online for like beach areas or those Owl cams people have.

I was sitting here thinking how VR could make a 3D video like you can for Youtube but its in game of a certain area with the weather effects going etc and you could move the camera around in 3d.

That idea lead me to one where VR could put a in game "webcam" that people could watch, it could just be a stationary character that is streaming the footage perhaps watching over Thronefast or even during testing an area people are testing etc.

Could be an idea for a future stream or something, just thought I'd throw this out there maybe it will spark a further flushed out idea in someone.

That's a pretty cool idea, Zeem. Why stop at just a stationary cam though? Let's a slap a "kill cam" on a griffon, dragon, or a certain deranged woodsman :D

Unfortunately something like that might take away precious resources from development time right now, but might be something worth considering as the team grows. Thanks for the suggestion! 

• 363 posts
    December 18, 2017 2:09 PM PST

Zeem said:

Very cool idea, Zeem! 

• 1095 posts
    December 20, 2017 8:26 AM PST

Ceythos said:

Zeem said:

That's a pretty cool idea, Zeem. Why stop at just a stationary cam though? Let's a slap a "kill cam" on a griffon, dragon, or a certain deranged woodsman :D

Unfortunately something like that might take away precious resources from development time right now, but might be something worth considering as the team grows. Thanks for the suggestion! 

Thanks.

• 947 posts
    December 20, 2017 8:42 AM PST

Very cool idea!  If this could be implimented in the future it could be included in the gameplay story as being unlocked by some quest(s) to reach some mystic on the top of a mountain or other hard to reach place with the power of a crystal ball allowing access to scry on the "crystal ball" once it is developed.  That would allow those of us that can't be online to get our fix :)

• 98 posts
    December 20, 2017 10:36 PM PST

I like the kill cam idea, actually. A friend of mine once used bind sight on Wuoshi at an open Wuoshi raid. It was magnificent. The NPC with the highest kill count of the day should get a kill cam automatically!

• 63 posts
    December 21, 2017 3:36 AM PST

This is a neat idea that for certain has given people in real life opportunities to view environments that they would not otherwise have access to.

I am however strongly against this idea as it pertains to Pantheon. Players should discover and experience the environment for themselves. This even includes re-experiencing a familiar environment, because even in familiar environments, there is still a possibility of anything happening.

I also see an opportunity for abuse here. I don't want people using cameras in order to stalk PvP players, or to time and view mob spawns. Players should have to be present in the environment in order to do that. It is also more realistic that way.

• 67 posts
    December 21, 2017 4:07 AM PST

In general i like the idea. As long as that feature cannot be used to observe spawn points from outside the game. For example: 

Mob X has been killed, you put your crystal ball on the spawn point and can watch if the mob has spawned again.

• 168 posts
    December 23, 2017 9:48 AM PST

I think kill cams on rare event mobs that are rampaging through an area once they have kill X number of players would be a terrific idea! How the kill cam is accessed is up for question though, in-game? phone app? web app? hmm maybe a tiny video box you can close out in the game's UI.

• 1095 posts
    December 25, 2017 7:51 PM PST

Kargen said:

I think kill cams on rare event mobs that are rampaging through an area once they have kill X number of players would be a terrific idea! How the kill cam is accessed is up for question though, in-game? phone app? web app? hmm maybe a tiny video box you can close out in the game's UI.

I'd like to see this be something from outside that game. Something to view while at work or on the road etc. Just something to view the world while you can't play. This could be expanded on in so many ways tho.