Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How many tie-ins?

• 1019 posts
    November 9, 2017 1:09 PM PST

VR team, or maybe even anyone in the community.

How many throw backs, tie-ins, easter eggs, nostalgia triggers is Protf going to have to EQ1.  One of my favorite things in EQ2 is stumbling upon a trigger of something I experienced in EQ.

I know Protf isn't the realm of Norrath, but we all know, ya know...so just wondering, maybe even hoping for a little nostalgia to toss in there.

• 3237 posts
    November 9, 2017 1:15 PM PST

Kicking snakes have been confirmed!

• 753 posts
    November 9, 2017 1:55 PM PST

Nostalgia = good :)

I would LOVE to be in some area or other in the game and suddenly see something little that I would immediately recognize.  For example, in Thurgadin there are two bankers named Mort ang Gage  (Mortgage).  If I were in a snow covered region off the game, went to a bank, and saw Mort and Gage... I would immediately catch the EQ reference.

• 234 posts
    November 9, 2017 2:01 PM PST

The ding sound seems to be in. 

And apparantly the later buff sounds, though I kinda prefered the early ones and the blue sparklies for heals shooting out of your hands.  

• 769 posts
    November 9, 2017 2:04 PM PST

oneADseven said:

Wait. Is this true? Are you serious? Because if so, my day has been made. 

• 753 posts
    November 9, 2017 2:04 PM PST

azaya said:

The ding sound seems to be in. 

And apparantly the later buff sounds, though I kinda prefered the early ones and the blue sparklies for heals shooting out of your hands.  

I would LOVE it if they made the DING the loudest thing in the game.  I think all the old EQ players probably have at least one memorable moment where we were so vested in playing the game that we forgot about leveling, and were nearly scared out of our chair when the DING! sounded.

• 363 posts
    November 9, 2017 2:11 PM PST

Aren't NPC names and areas and such all copyrighted material owned by Daybreak Games now? I'd love to see some notalgic content, as well; however, not wanting PROTF to get sued or anything. Just curious.

• 644 posts
    November 9, 2017 2:14 PM PST

I'd do an epic-level quest to hear that original 1999 opening theme music (I have it on wave file but I want it in game).

I want the old straight line firebolt spells.

I'd love to stumble upon an old moss-covered crossing gate in the middle of a wide open field.

• 2752 posts
    November 9, 2017 2:21 PM PST

I'd love to see a fat ogre tucked away in Thronefast called "Boomba the Biggest" selling pickles. 

• 513 posts
    November 9, 2017 2:24 PM PST

Wouldn't it be awesome to find an old crumbling statue of Feriona Vie somewhere?  Or a special even where there is a giant flash of light and a loud boom - resulting in EQ-style gnome appearing at the gates and saying "I KNEW I shouldn't have let Najeena cast that on me...."

• 1019 posts
    November 9, 2017 2:28 PM PST

Wandidar said:

I would LOVE it if they made the DING the loudest thing in the game.  I think all the old EQ players probably have at least one memorable moment where we were so vested in playing the game that we forgot about leveling, and were nearly scared out of our chair when the DING! sounded.

Too true...I loved when this would happen.

This post was edited by Kittik at November 9, 2017 2:28 PM PST
    • 98 posts
    November 9, 2017 2:29 PM PST

oneADseven said:

^^ This.

My first memory fighting outside Freeport and wondering how the hell was the snake kicking me!

• 1714 posts

I remember being pentitioned for training in EQ and I got GM summoned to a cat room. If you've seen it, you'll know what I'm talking about. 

(I was found innocent, btw)

• 1714 posts

Kittik said:

Wandidar said:

I was literally addicted to that sound. It caused a huge dopamine rush. 

• 1019 posts
    November 9, 2017 2:30 PM PST

fazool said:

I'd do an epic-level quest to hear that original 1999 opening theme music (I have it on wave file but I want it in game).

I want the old straight line firebolt spells.

I'd love to stumble upon an old moss-covered crossing gate in the middle of a wide open field.

This is something EQ2 did as a vet reward.  It was awesome.  I clicked 'play' on that box soo many times.

• 1714 posts
    November 9, 2017 2:36 PM PST

Anistosoles said:

Aren't NPC names and areas and such all copyrighted material owned by Daybreak Games now? I'd love to see some notalgic content, as well; however, not wanting PROTF to get sued or anything. Just curious.

can't copyright "an orc warrior" just like Pantheon already has many classes of the exact same name. 

• 1019 posts
    November 9, 2017 2:55 PM PST

Nephretiti said:

Wouldn't it be awesome to find an old crumbling statue of Feriona Vie somewhere?  Or a special even where there is a giant flash of light and a loud boom - resulting in EQ-style gnome appearing at the gates and saying "I KNEW I shouldn't have let Najeena cast that on me...."

Yes, something like this.  Something like the statue, you obviously can't infring on (c) rights but for those of us who know whouldn't need telling.

• 2886 posts
    November 9, 2017 8:31 PM PST

Krixus said:

Kittik said:

Wandidar said:

I was literally addicted to that sound. It caused a huge dopamine rush. 

Yes, we heard it at this in the stream last April: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138465335?t=01h21m59s

As well as some buff sounds that are also identical to that in EQ: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138465335?t=01h20m53s

From Kilsin:

"Nothing is final, including sounds, so we will have to wait and see but it will remain as our level up "ding" sound for now :)" (Source: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5974/buff-sounds/view/post_id/109347 )

Additionally, a lot of the funny messages at the bottom of loading screens are taken straight from EQ.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at November 9, 2017 8:43 PM PST
    • 80 posts
    November 9, 2017 9:12 PM PST

Personally I want to make new memories of Terminus. I don't need the nostalgia; just need some good friends and good times for some dragon slaying.

• 1778 posts
    November 9, 2017 9:18 PM PST

I hope Im not ruining the thread with this suggestion but I wouldnt want it to only be EQ easter eggs. For instance I wouldnt mind a lit bonfire with a sword sticking out of it in an isolated corner of a dungeon or some ruins.

• 470 posts
    November 9, 2017 10:43 PM PST

Amsai said:

I hope Im not ruining the thread with this suggestion but I wouldnt want it to only be EQ easter eggs. For instance I wouldnt mind a lit bonfire with a sword sticking out of it in an isolated corner of a dungeon or some ruins.

I'm sure there will be tons of easter eggs, many that will relate to Pantheon directly. Just look at how many little mysteries there were in EQ. Good stuff. :)

• 319 posts
    November 10, 2017 6:12 AM PST

Aside from copyright infringments the more Nostalgia in game the better. Imagine medding in the second tier zone and seeing Dorn coming at you.  Oh the memories. I still play p1999 occasionaly and when possible on my way to freepoer I always go past Dornn's  camp and slap him on te head a little.

• 753 posts
    November 10, 2017 6:21 AM PST

Isaya said:

Aside from copyright infringments the more Nostalgia in game the better. Imagine medding in the second tier zone and seeing Dorn coming at you.  Oh the memories. I still play p1999 occasionaly and when possible on my way to freepoer I always go past Dornn's  camp and slap him on te head a little.

I'm no expert, but name changes seem to be a common way to avoid copyright infringement.  I think it really only applies when something can be distinctly defined as unique.  For example, I don't think anyone could lay claim to "An Orc Warrior."  But games change up names all the time.  For example, in Stormwind (WoW) you can find an NPC bound to a chair named "Jack Bauden" who is an SI:7 Agent.  it's an absolutely CLEAR reference to Jack Bauer in 24.

In your example, I would bet they could do something as simple as naming such an NPC Binn B'Dorn.  Everyone who was terrorized by Dorn B'Dinn would get it, and it's not Dorn B'Dinn.

This post was edited by Wandidar at November 10, 2017 6:22 AM PST
    • 98 posts
    November 11, 2017 7:06 PM PST

Would rather have fully original everything. I've already played EQ, show me something new!

• 1315 posts
    November 14, 2017 10:59 AM PST

sorn said:

Would rather have fully original everything. I've already played EQ, show me something new!

I am mostly in the same boat.  Part of me wishes that none of the classes were even named the same as Everquest classes as people carry so much baggage about what a class should or shouldn't be able to do.

I.e. Fighter, Burgler, Healer, Sworn Knight, Spiritualist, Naturalist, Scout, Magi, Conjurer, Blood Knight, Minstral, Illusionist and Monk . . . yah no baggage there.