Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

"Iron Man" Characters

• 115 posts
    November 7, 2017 7:27 PM PST

I have not seen this discussed yet.

Is there any talk about adding an "Iron Man" or "Hardcore" option to character creaton?

Just Curious....

See: Runescape Example of what I am talking about.

• 281 posts
    November 7, 2017 7:31 PM PST

There's a blog from Brad where he mentions the possibility of a server ruleset to accomadate this if the numbers warrent it.  It wasn't anything set in stone, or clay for that matter.

This post was edited by DragonFist at November 7, 2017 7:32 PM PST
    • 74 posts
    November 8, 2017 4:56 AM PST

We actually talk about this in the thread "Server rulesets you'd like to see."

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/7153/what-server-rulesets-would-you-like-to-see

Come join us in that thread and give some details on how you'd like to see a hardcore/ironman ruleset implemented.

This post was edited by Dulu at November 8, 2017 5:16 AM PST
    • 1281 posts
    November 8, 2017 6:52 AM PST

Permadeath server might be kinda fun for some people. Would be cool if you could scavage corpses for loot. You might need like a 500% XP boost on it though.

• 3852 posts
    November 8, 2017 6:57 AM PST

Just in case the powers that be (sometimes nicknamed Threadbane) decide to leave this thread open I will add that a Hardcore option has major disadvantages. These disadvantages are even more pronounced in a new game. 

Speaking as someone that often plays hardcore and has deleted many characters after their first deaths - even at level cap - I would never agree to character deletion upon death. Not unless there was an option to override this result, in which case why have it in the first place?

Playing hardcore voluntarily is one thing - but why risk losing a character that one has put a lot of time and effort into because (1) The game crashes and when you can log back on the character has died; (2) there is a long lag spike and by the time you can control the character you have died; (3) The fire alarm goes off, someone that you cannot really ignore comes to the door, a kid starts screaming in panic or the like and you *cannot* take the time to get to a safe area to log off. Most hardcore players if not all will treat some or all of these causes of death as legitimate things to override and keep the character going.

This is why when Wizardry 8 had ahardcore option at character creation it was not widely used (although as s single player game the dangers were a lot less than in a MMO).

This post was edited by dorotea at November 8, 2017 6:59 AM PST
    • 2138 posts
    November 8, 2017 8:16 AM PST

I remember they did somehting like this in EQ. it was a special PvP server created for a limited time. I think the rule set was you could not be killed untill you reached level 7, but after that it was free for all and perma death and I think you could go up to level 20.  if I am not mistaken, last person standing "won" and you could not go /anon. Everyone started as a new character. When the server closed the "winner" got a special name or something for their real character on their server when the event ended. It as fun- not so fun if you joined late- lol.

• 513 posts
    November 9, 2017 2:48 PM PST

Manouk said:

I remember they did somehting like this in EQ. it was a special PvP server created for a limited time. I think the rule set was you could not be killed untill you reached level 7, but after that it was free for all and perma death and I think you could go up to level 20.  if I am not mistaken, last person standing "won" and you could not go /anon. Everyone started as a new character. When the server closed the "winner" got a special name or something for their real character on their server when the event ended. It as fun- not so fun if you joined late- lol.

i played it.  It was a short little contest with a small duration by design.  I seem to recall three months only.  I don't think there was a hard cap on it, but the population made it so that it got harder and harder to level up.  There was some groupoing, but it had to be folks you knew and trusted.  The real hampering thing about it though was the tool for /who all 20 50.  It Showed you who was alive between those levels.  Then you did a /who Nephretiti and it told you what zone I was hiding in.  And then a lvl 34 Druid showed up and murdelized me.  Those tools gave folks with tracking a REAL unfair advantage.  But I would say it was incredible fun - and I hate PvP.