Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Analyze a zone...

• 281 posts
    November 6, 2017 2:58 PM PST

There are so many zones that I loved from EQ1 that it would not be possible to list them all.  From the early game, Guk and Sol A,B are very memorable as well as Unrest.

• 184 posts
    November 6, 2017 4:03 PM PST

So many good zones I don't want to pick just one and do the others injustice. Was a lot of fun reading back over all of these zones and people's respective memories, which prompted me to remember a few of my own. Oasis was such a good zone...Always looking over to the island with the spectres until finally one day being able to kill them (I think some of the first giants were in oasis, too, or perhaps it was on that one mountain zone everyone used to farm gold on). 

I feel like they went in the wrong direction with certain things in PoP, but if I had to choose just one zone, plane of water was just so cool to me. All of the raid required to bring their gnomish shrinking devices and navigate through the underwater maze of tunnels. The strange mobs and raid mob summon all of the waters inhabitants...Just felt so avante guard from the rest of the zones (similar to plane of torment).

Can you imagine with today's graphics, how awesome a dark, maze-like underwater zone near dark myr would be? Ughhh there's so much they could do with that. Can't wait to see what this awesome team comes up with : )

• 1281 posts
    November 6, 2017 4:09 PM PST

What would be cool is a City of Mist like zone that actually contained mist in the city.....

• 1281 posts
    November 6, 2017 4:17 PM PST

What do you think?  Should we start a thread and discuss how we would like to see some of our favorite zones "re-imagined" for Pantheon??  Not the same exact zone with upgraded graphics.  A wholly new zone but something that gives us the nostalgia for a specific zone that maay be similar in some way?  Start off by saying the zone you'd like to see re-imagined and how you would like to see it.

What do you think?

• 2419 posts
    November 6, 2017 8:28 PM PST

Angrykiz said:

Was there a zone that really stands out in your mind as iconic and what made this area really stick with you for all these years ? I know I'd like to read these kind of stories.

Thanks in advance,

Kiz~

For me, that zone was the original RunnyEye.  It was there that I found my love of dungeons. That was the first place in all of EQ1 where I first felt scared.  No other dungeon before or after that gave me that twinge of fear like RunnyEye.  It really was a very dangerous place because goblins love to run and it was a very tight dungeon.  Its design was much more verticle than horizontal, I think having 4 levels if memory serves.  With no long passages but lots of rooms and doors, it was easy to get turned around and one false move would cause you to aggro other goblins around corners.  Running to the zoneline was rarely an option because it was just too far away and with so many doors you were constantly forced to stop.  It taught me to be a really good player. I learned the importance of positioning, of pet control, of crowd control, of timing respawns, of pull sequences, of buff timers, etc. 

• 7 posts
    November 6, 2017 9:18 PM PST

For me, it has to be Howling Stones in EQ.  If memory serves me, it was a high level dungeon off of OT in Kunark.  What really stands out to me was that it was very dangerous, even with a solid group.  The zone in point wasn't even safe like it was in most zones.  There was a great mix of both regular and undead mobs.  You had to go from wing to wing colecting keys to open the next wing.  Very few people ever went there, so you could always crawl it when you wanted.  There was a lot of traps and hidden trap doors that sent you to a deeper level, seperating you from your group.  You could always work to your favorite wing and set up an exp camp, but you could also work on getting the "skeleton key" that would allow you to get into any wing at any time.  My view may be colored by the people I went there with, but I think that may be true for all of us.  All in all, a very well made, difficuly dungeon!

Uvaas Sa'Avu

This post was edited by UvaasSaAvu at November 6, 2017 9:18 PM PST
    • 793 posts
    November 7, 2017 6:55 AM PST

So many great zones.

Early in my characters life, I really loved Befallen. It wasn't a large dungeon, but at low levels it added that bit of danger from the confined spaces, traps, and inconsistant mob agro.

Oasis was also alot of fune, lots of people of a large level range around, sand giants to watch out for, Lockjaw, and Spectre trains.

Unrest and Castle Mistmoore were favorite in my teens and 20's, and later. Always people there, always easy to join a group.

I also really enjoyed the Aviak Village in South Karana. It was a relatively easy place to pull and fight with little interference, so it made for a relaxing evening of xp gain on a lazy day.

Lake of Ill Omen, I found myself going here all the time, especially with my alts. The xp was great, lots of space and again, lots of people.

I also spent alot of time in the Great Divide, Velkators after Velious came out.

I think I spent the better part of my late 30's through late 40's in Dreadlands and Karnors.