Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

A different "immersion" topic

• 399 posts
    November 3, 2017 6:41 PM PDT

Taliche said:

If food/drink is a requirement or adds benefits, you don't need to stop there. Make food have a 0.001% chance of poisoning you causing death if you don't get cured by a healer within 60 minutes. Players who craft food could also be given the option to poison their own goods and only others with an equally high cooking skill could identify which food has been poisoned. Chance of poisoning can be substantially higher for food purchased from street vendors or back alley dwellers. Food from reputable sources should be super expensive so that low levels are forced to buy it on the street. If you die from food poisoning below level 10 your character is also killed permanently because growing up is tough. And lastly, if you haven't figured it out already I am totally joking...

Not at all bad ideas!!  I am all for crafters having an equally important role in the game as adventurers. well maybe not so much regarding the perma kill though :)

• 668 posts
    November 3, 2017 6:41 PM PDT

I find that I have complained about some stuff that later I mentioned as a part of the "difference" from any other game out there now.  I want those little, managable things back in my game.  Even if I complain at the moment, I will surely appreciate it later in the journey.

This post was edited by Pyye at November 3, 2017 6:43 PM PDT
    • 454 posts
    November 3, 2017 7:24 PM PDT

somebody help me here.  I seem to remember EQ had a plague that spread for a while out of ? West Karan?  Wasn’t that a thing before an expansion?  It’s been so long but I kinda think plagues spreading through some zones could be an interesting game mechanic, and would fit in the game lore.

• 70 posts
    November 3, 2017 10:03 PM PDT

Can we also have a distinct /afk emote, like laying on your back with your head propped against a bedroll and your knees bent, hands clasped over your belly?

Just make some unique animation that represents the /afk state.

Bonus if you support multiple /afk states, like bathroom, food, door, etc.

• 399 posts
    November 4, 2017 9:48 AM PDT

redgiant said:

Can we also have a distinct /afk emote, like laying on your back with your head propped against a bedroll and your knees bent, hands clasped over your belly?

Extra programming but imo probably worth the effort (perhaps after launch?) 

• 1120 posts
    November 4, 2017 9:56 AM PDT

Questaar said:

somebody help me here.  I seem to remember EQ had a plague that spread for a while out of ? West Karan?  Wasn’t that a thing before an expansion?  It’s been so long but I kinda think plagues spreading through some zones could be an interesting game mechanic, and would fit in the game lore.

There was a "commonlands" plague that was really just an annoyance for lowbies.   This might be what youre referring to.  

• 753 posts
    November 5, 2017 5:38 AM PST

Another point on mechanics that are intended to add "realism" to the game.  In their absence, games now do things like dailies, etc... to cause people to slow down their advancement / extend the life of the game.  The reality of MMO life is that there do need to be / are always components to them that amount to just that... ways to slow you down. 

As a player base, I think we should consider this when we say we don't want this mechanic or don't want that mechanic.  For me, added realism to the game is much  more palatble than "do this same activity every day until doing it kills all the joy you feel when you log in to play."

This post was edited by Wandidar at November 5, 2017 5:40 AM PST
    • 2130 posts
    November 5, 2017 6:12 AM PST

I see absolutely zero connection between realism and daily quests.

Daily quests exist because they're a cheap way to limit progression. You usually grind faction, tokens, or something else, and it is artificially gated by time. This has nothing to do with realism, it's just shallow content.

• 3237 posts
    November 5, 2017 6:25 AM PST

Daily quests are a lazy substitute for quality content that use loss aversion as the driving factor for people to participate.  They belong in phone games, not MMO's.  If you gate a reward behind X amount of faction, or tokens, and then limit the amount you can earn per day, that really really sucks.  People don't want to "lose" the opportunity to earn the reputation, and realize that if they fail to log in on any given day, it's impossible to recoup that loss.  Garbage.

This post was edited by oneADseven at November 5, 2017 6:29 AM PST
    • 384 posts
    November 5, 2017 6:53 AM PST

oneADseven said:

Daily quests are a lazy substitute for quality content that use loss aversion as the driving factor for people to participate.  They belong in phone games, not MMO's.  If you gate a reward behind X amount of faction, or tokens, and then limit the amount you can earn per day, that really really sucks.  People don't want to "lose" the opportunity to earn the reputation, and realize that if they fail to log in on any given day, it's impossible to recoup that loss.  Garbage.

100% agree! Daily quests are awful! They feel forced and fake but in many instances you you have have to do them to progress efficiently. Good to see someone else feels as strongly about them. =)

This post was edited by Malsirian at November 5, 2017 7:43 AM PST
    • 753 posts
    November 5, 2017 7:12 AM PST

Liav said:

I see absolutely zero connection between realism and daily quests.

Daily quests exist because they're a cheap way to limit progression. You usually grind faction, tokens, or something else, and it is artificially gated by time. This has nothing to do with realism, it's just shallow content.

The relationship is that they often both consume your REAL time.  I'm certain that everything you do which may add time to your gameplay is factored into development.  The more time you fill with other things (I need to run back to town to deal with coin weight), the less reason there would ever be for things like daily content.

This post was edited by Wandidar at November 5, 2017 7:13 AM PST
    • 98 posts
    November 5, 2017 10:03 AM PST

redgiant said:

I like this idea. Can the /afk bathroom pose be the thinker pose? :D

Also related to the collision with players topic, with an auto-afk feature that has a specific emote, you could have someone afk automatically sit down or lie down and automatically unblock anything they might be blocking!

• 334 posts
    November 5, 2017 10:09 AM PST

note: someone once needed to have a bathroom afk, but made a hilarious mixing up 'c' and 'x' typo: "brb, afk for sex"

• 399 posts
    November 5, 2017 10:18 AM PST

sorn said:

redgiant said:

I like this idea. Can the /afk bathroom pose be the thinker pose? :D

Also related to the collision with players topic, with an auto-afk feature that has a specific emote, you could have someone afk automatically sit down or lie down and automatically unblock anything they might be blocking!

lol i read that as the "tinker pose" :)

I like players have the ability to block at least npc's if not pc's.  The problem is indeed griefing forever.  So perhaps this could be solved by having a player automatically "unblock" if there was no activity (movement, chat,etc) for x time?

• 281 posts
    November 5, 2017 9:23 PM PST

Durp said:

sorn said:

I like players have the ability to block at least npc's if not pc's.  The problem is indeed griefing forever.  So perhaps this could be solved by having a player automatically "unblock" if there was no activity (movement, chat,etc) for x time?

It could just be done with something like in Witcher 3.  You collide but you also push at the same time and if that doesn't get you pass, collision with that PC turns off for the second or third effort.  So, you feel like they are there, but they aren't a real barrier to things like getting through doors, etc.

This post was edited by DragonFist at November 5, 2017 9:25 PM PST