Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Penalties

• 753 posts
    October 29, 2017 5:58 PM PDT

hackerssuck said:

oneADseven said:

Pretty sure deleveling is on the table Neph.  If it wasn't, wouldn't the death penalty at max level be decreased?  There was a conversation that came up awhile back about this:  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5753/spiritual-conversion

I think it's very important that max level players continue to respect their environment.  If XP loss is going to be a major component of death, it should continue to apply at max level.  If it doesen't, then it should be replaced with something else.  Death should never become trivial and that's exactly what has happened in many games that remove the ability to delevel.  I like the idea of max level players needing a "buffer" before they set out on a dangerous journey.  I would almost look at it like a "daily quest" but not your traditional kind.  You would have to continue adventuring/farming responsibly before taking any major risks.

Put a debuff on a max character that actually hurts and cannot be removed.  It would need to sting quite a bit.  It shouldn't last for hours, but maybe 15 minutes.  Just an idea.  Deleveling DOES suck.

I'm not a fan of debuffs as punishment.  Losing EXP and even levels doesn't stop you from strapping your boots on and getting back out into the game world, debuffs do.  Even if you hated corpse runs for example, you were at least doing the corpse run.  Debuffs say "stop playing and go do somethig else until it wears off."

This post was edited by Wandidar at October 29, 2017 5:58 PM PDT
    • 32 posts
    November 1, 2017 7:35 PM PDT

Nephretiti said:

I seem to recall an early Dungeons & Dragons ruleset that included some mobs that could lvl drain you.  Or am I mis-remembering?

Pools of Raidance. Vahlhingen Graveyard, the Specters would level drain, not just mild exp drain. The memory kind of made me shiver!

• 234 posts
    November 3, 2017 9:01 PM PDT

As far as dispell goes, ya its annoying but if I can do it, then so should the mobs be able to do it. 

As for plane of fear, those mobs were pretty easy if you just snare/fear them.  Feared mobs dont cast. 

Problem solved. 

That said, I'm not sure what we have in store for us here in Pantheon but I certainly hope we have debuffs and yes even dispells to deal with, though it would be nice if we could maybe resist a dispell. 

Perhaps colored mana shield that must be dispelled through before it can affect a buff?

Maybe make it more like poison/disease with counters, where a more powerful dispell removes more counters of your buff?

IE: Instead of just erasing a buff, if said buff lasts 30min and a tier 1 dispell hits you, then maybe that buff only has 20min left.  so it would take 3 casts of dispell to take your buff or cast a tier 3 dispell and take it in one cast. 

This post was edited by azaya at November 3, 2017 9:04 PM PDT
    • 2130 posts
    November 3, 2017 9:11 PM PDT

I want mechanics that are designed to waste time replaced with mechanics that actually hurt you.

Debuffs accomplish the same thing that dispells do, except you don't have to sit around for several minutes to rebuff and meditate.

• 107 posts
    November 5, 2017 11:57 PM PST

Hello everyone. I take it the topic is penalties experience. Death penalties is all we need for this game. The game is geared for group/community...grouping. It will be challenging and hard as is with group to take down elite mobs/npc. Everyone in your group who are level 20s after fighting the wraith or some undead or mob that drains exp, most likely your tank will be level 19 when battle is over and everyone else will be level 20...if its tpw (total party wipe) everyone lost some exp if not a level. Death penalties and corpse run is bad enough let along trying to find your corpse. This is the game with no maps right? Was it east? Where did my character die at again? think east....maybe north east. Did i take screenshot to see where my character died? Sigh.../group hey folks do i go east?

• 513 posts
    November 6, 2017 8:04 AM PST

No, this topic was more desinged to ask the question "Other than damage to target, what other types of penalties" would we like to see?  Examples would be Blinding, poison, dispelling, slowing, damage to armor, loss of low amounts of Xp on a succesful hit, etc.  All kinds of things.  This was all outside the death penalties.

Persoanly, I think everything is fine for the game - so long as not everything is doing all of them all the time.  I think there will be a time and place for blind.  A time and place for dispells, and even a time and place for Xp drains.