Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Ideas For Features In The Client Downloader

• 66 posts
    October 10, 2017 12:17 PM PDT

Hey everyone

I was just wondering what features people would like to see in the final client downloader, I have put my list below, what ideas do you guys have?

1) Files are packaged in such a way that key files are downloaded first so people can log in whilst the remaining files are downloaded in the backgroud.

2) Flexibility of download options:

a) The application that performs the download can be scheduled to start at a certain time and date so your system will download the patch whilst you are at work / asleep

b) The application that performs the download can be told to power off the machine once the download has completed

c) The application that performs the download can run and download an update whilst the game is running

d) Ability to apply an upgrade from a descrete file

e) The download rate can be controlled

3) Possible to minimise the client to the system tray

a) When minimise to the system tray and you mouse over the icon it shows the download %.

b) The minimised icon changes colour based on the % downloaded.

4) Support for token authentication

a) Traditional H/W and S/W fobs to secure an account

b) Scanning of QR codes (or similar) from authentication devices

c) Provide a soft keypad option for the client

d) Provide a randomised soft keyboard for the authentication code entry

5) Keep the client interface design as simple and responsive as possible

6) Allow local backup of configuration files and in game screen shots

I did a search for a similar topic but didnt find one, hopefully I didnt miss it.

• 1618 posts
    October 10, 2017 12:28 PM PDT

Portable UI settings is an important feature to me. I tend to move to different computers a lot.

• 2130 posts
    October 10, 2017 12:46 PM PDT

Cool, a technical question.

I like all of these suggestions. The ability to download files for patches while playing is, in my opinion, a very low bar for a modern MMO. The patching process should be very seamless.

I would implore the devs to look at the Blizzard Launcher (RIP Battle.net) and copy practically all of the features it has verbatim. The interface is clean, responsive, and very feature heavy. While I understand that this is to be expected of Blizzard and the insanely high level of quality/polish they put into everything, I think their software quality in general should be what all companies aspire to create.

This post was edited by Liav at October 10, 2017 12:48 PM PDT
    • 724 posts
    October 10, 2017 1:10 PM PDT

The most important thing for me is that it must be possible to stop/interrupt/resume a download. Nothing worse than loading x GB of data, encountering a download (or other) error and having to start all over!

• 294 posts
    October 10, 2017 1:28 PM PDT

Other than the basic functions, I enjoy a chat function while servers are down. Sometimes the chat is full of a bunch of hooyey, but once in a while a bit of useful information pops across the box.

• 633 posts
    October 10, 2017 1:54 PM PDT

2.b would be really cool, especially if it could wake a computer up that's asleep to do it.

• 151 posts
    October 10, 2017 2:26 PM PDT
    Import a photo/pic app that would convert to slider values to use in character creation for a facial likeness, and... character customization offline for when servers are down.
    • 1281 posts
    October 10, 2017 2:27 PM PDT

Having a way to back up the update files so that you can re-apply them if you have to reload the system without having to completely re-download them again.

If I had a dollar for every time I had to wait hours to update EQ, EQ2, and Vanguard after reloading my system....

• 1921 posts
    October 10, 2017 2:47 PM PDT

Regarding: 5) Keep the client interface design as simple and responsive as possible

To me, that means no advertising of any kind in the patcher, ever.  I've already bought the product, I don't need to see advertising.  Just no.

• 188 posts
    October 10, 2017 3:26 PM PDT

I would legit settle for a "Launch" button.

• 2752 posts
    October 10, 2017 3:47 PM PDT

Liav said:

I would implore the devs to look at the Blizzard Launcher (RIP Battle.net) and copy practically all of the features it has verbatim. The interface is clean, responsive, and very feature heavy. While I understand that this is to be expected of Blizzard and the insanely high level of quality/polish they put into everything, I think their software quality in general should be what all companies aspire to create.

Battle.net lives, they decided to reverse their decision to rebrand. They only changed it to include Blizzard in the logo and to refer to as "Blizzard Battle.net" in print references. 

But I agree, they do a good job with their launcher interface and options. 

• 563 posts
    October 10, 2017 4:02 PM PDT

I've got to agree on all points brought up by DuxDux, and I also like the way the Battle.net client works, allows for simple advertising and viewing of game news and upcoming features/events while you are updating.

One thing I might add is to enable a peer to peer function for any patch/client download, to assist in the speeds at which users may download said data. This can be throttled or disabled/enabled per user for those that have bandwidth caps and such. Also add the ability to have it only active while you are still downloading, for a set time, or have it active permanently for any late comers.

It would also be nice to have chat option in the launcher, chat for people in the launcher as well as options to connect to a characters friends or guild. This could tie into a possible mobile app that might have chat functionality to stay in touch with friends/guildies as has been contemplated in previous threads as a possibility.

This post was edited by Rachael at October 10, 2017 4:05 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    October 10, 2017 4:58 PM PDT

I would like to see more effort being put into being able to clear old files. When files may no longer be needed, please allow the patching system to delete them or at least remove them from the content delivery system so they are not downloaded next time you clean install.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at October 10, 2017 4:59 PM PDT
    • 2130 posts
    October 10, 2017 5:58 PM PDT

Iksar said:

Battle.net lives, they decided to reverse their decision to rebrand. They only changed it to include Blizzard in the logo and to refer to as "Blizzard Battle.net" in print references. 

But I agree, they do a good job with their launcher interface and options. 

Wasn't aware they reversed their decision. That's pretty cool.

• 77 posts
    October 11, 2017 11:58 AM PDT

Just add it to steam, without having to have another ui to login to a launcher that has some graphics. ALTHOUGH I do like the Cashshopsssssssss... just let me login from steam.