Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Pantheon Mysteries

• 1468 posts
    October 1, 2017 5:01 AM PDT

I've been talking to a couple of people about this for the last few days and I think we agree that the one things we would all love to see is myteries! Quests that take ages to figure out. Lore that you need to explore the whole world to understand. Ultra rare NPCs that are only rumoured to exist. Things like that.

It would be a great community building exercise trying to get people together to figure out all of the unexplained stuff in the game. If the developers could add a large amount of content to the game that was very difficult to figure out along with what I believe are called "easter eggs" by some people that make people stop and think that would be awesome. Also epic quests that take months if not years to figure out in full.

What do you think about this? Would you like Pantheon to contain a lot of mysteries in the game that need to be worked out by a group of people? Would you like to see things that are only rumoured to be true and you to go out into the world to prove / disprove them?

Personally I'm all for adding as much unknown content as possible because it makes the game so much more interesting.

Edit: I couldn't find anything else on this topic using the search feature but I might have missed something.

This post was edited by Cromulent at October 1, 2017 5:02 AM PDT
    • 763 posts
    October 1, 2017 5:11 AM PDT

While not directly on this subject, there are 2 (related) threads worth reading.
    They overlap this question to a certain extent, but neither is detailed or particularly long running.

about (longer) quests in general ...

1. https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5796/quest-talk

and Lore related ones...

2. https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3414/quest-for-lore

I am very much in favour of longer 'hard to solve' quests. There were a few like that in 'The Secret World', though not many that were truly difficult!

Evoras, enjoys solving puzzles...

• 633 posts
    October 1, 2017 5:21 AM PDT

I do like the ultra-rare "rumored to exist" spawns.  Those were great in Everquest, like Terrorantula and lesser nightmare.

• 1468 posts
    October 1, 2017 5:28 AM PDT

Evoras said:

While not directly on this subject, there are 2 (related) threads worth reading.
    They overlap this question to a certain extent, but neither is detailed or particularly long running.

and Lore related ones...

I am very much in favour of longer 'hard to solve' quests. There were a few like that in 'The Secret World', though not many that were truly difficult!

Awesome. Thanks for the links. I'll give them a read.

• 2886 posts
    October 1, 2017 11:16 AM PDT

Evoras said:

and Lore related ones...

I'll add these threads about mystery:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6172/true-mystery-true-danger

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4792/fun-and-mystery-in-eq

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2848/a-funny-example-of-the-effect-of-mystery

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2125/question-for-the-devs-keeping-the-mystery-in-pantheon

As you can see, it seems like a lot of people are already in favor of mystery in Pantheon... including the devs :) It's kind of fundamental to the game actually. We love that sort of thing!

This post was edited by Bazgrim at October 1, 2017 11:17 AM PDT
    • 133 posts
    October 1, 2017 1:14 PM PDT
    I could write a novel on how important this subject is to the game. Unexplained mysterious locations/items/lore add so much. The mere rumor that something very dangerous lurks in far off lands adds excitement and peril among adventurers.

I personally hope the level of thought that went into EQ's mysteries is put into Pantheon.
    It goes without saying, not all mysteries need an answer.
    • 1785 posts
    October 1, 2017 3:47 PM PDT

Same here.  I think we all (perhaps violently, at times) agree that there should be mystery and rarity for quests/items/encounters.  Not everything should be easily known, found, or figured out :)

• 4 posts
    October 1, 2017 5:37 PM PDT

I think one of my favorite things from EverQuest was the epic weapon quests. For instance, Druids and Rangers having to forage items from lands far and wide. The hints were unbelievably obscure at times, too!

This post was edited by Voranir at October 1, 2017 5:38 PM PDT
    • 249 posts
    October 1, 2017 9:46 PM PDT
    You weren't perhaps influenced from the YouTube "EverQuest mysteries" videos were you? Hehe. I really hope pantheon is deep enough to have us still trying to figure things out ten or twenty years down the road!
    • 133 posts
    October 1, 2017 10:24 PM PDT
    I absolutely love his videos. Watched them all a few times each. I had to pass the word to Michael about this game. He's definitely gonna check it out.
    • 769 posts
    October 2, 2017 10:29 AM PDT

I recall (someone, please confirm) an article or two concerning fabled mobs in EQ. A serpent in Lake Rathe comes to mind.

That would be swell, to once again play a game that spawned this type of theorycrafting.

• 133 posts
    • 556 posts
    October 2, 2017 11:23 AM PDT

Don't disagree with this thought at all. But just to point out, easter eggs are references in game to something in the past. If Pantheon had some hidden reference to Fippy Darkpaw, that would be an easter egg. 

An Easter egg is an intentional inside joke, a hidden message, or a secret feature of an interactive work (often, a computer programvideo game or DVD menu screen). The name is used to evoke the idea of a traditional Easter egg hunt.[2] The term was coined to describe a hidden message in the Atari video game Adventure that led Atari to encourage further hidden messages in later games, treating them as Easter eggs for players to find.

Like when WoW put the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42 on a rock in game. For those that don't have any clue what this is about ... it's the numbers from the show Lost. 

• 1468 posts
    October 2, 2017 11:26 AM PDT

Enitzu said:

Don't disagree with this thought at all. But just to point out, easter eggs are references in game to something in the past. If Pantheon had some hidden reference to Fippy Darkpaw, that would be an easter egg. 

An Easter egg is an intentional inside joke, a hidden message, or a secret feature of an interactive work (often, a computer programvideo game or DVD menu screen). The name is used to evoke the idea of a traditional Easter egg hunt.[2] The term was coined to describe a hidden message in the Atari video game Adventure that led Atari to encourage further hidden messages in later games, treating them as Easter eggs for players to find.

Like when WoW put the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42 on a rock in game. For those that don't have any clue what this is about ... it's the numbers from the show Lost. 

Ah, thank you for the correction.

Damn. Now I want to watch Lost again :D.

• 316 posts
    October 2, 2017 11:26 AM PDT

For anyone who hasn't seen the Everquest Mysteries video collection, here's the most recent one, just released a week ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPfy_3Hh_m4

His other videos are truly awesome, too!

This post was edited by Alexander at October 2, 2017 11:48 AM PDT
    • 556 posts
    October 2, 2017 11:46 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

Enitzu said:

Ah, thank you for the correction.

Damn. Now I want to watch Lost again :D.

Lol I been bored lately so started rewatching it last week. That's why it was fresh in my head :D

• 221 posts
    October 5, 2017 4:51 AM PDT
    Thread is well heard all. This has been on our minds for a few years now and it’s an interesting part of development because some of the best mysteries are thought up more naturally when you’re planning out an area.
    • 626 posts
    October 5, 2017 7:02 AM PDT

Convo said: Thread is well heard all. This has been on our minds for a few years now and it’s an interesting part of development because some of the best mysteries are thought up more naturally when you’re planning out an area.

Hide them goodies Convo! - Very excited to hear this :)

• 23 posts
    October 5, 2017 7:09 AM PDT

Alexander said:

For anyone who hasn't seen the Everquest Mysteries video collection, here's the most recent one, just released a week ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPfy_3Hh_m4

His other videos are truly awesome, too!

This, so much this. 

I sincerely hope Pantheon espouses mysteries of this caliber. Such an enriching and mind-stimulating facet of gameplay. 

• 2752 posts
    October 5, 2017 10:49 AM PDT

I remember a rumor back in the EverQuest days that people were saying some zones from release hadn't even been found yet (after a year). Of course it was nonsense but it got me thinking how cool it would be if there were a couple amazingly well hidden zones, places that maybe you could only zone into via some small hatch inside a false wall or in a large bush somewhere nondescript. 

Or maybe a zone that you can only see under a specific effect/buff/debuff. Even if not as hidden, something like having to jump into the town square fountain while your character is drunk. 

This post was edited by Iksar at October 5, 2017 11:25 AM PDT
    • 470 posts
    October 5, 2017 11:01 AM PDT

Convo said: Thread is well heard all. This has been on our minds for a few years now and it’s an interesting part of development because some of the best mysteries are thought up more naturally when you’re planning out an area.

I can tell some of the guys have fun with these too. One that gave me a good chuckle back in Vanguard was the entrance to Riftseeker's Torrent I think it was. You find this NPC headed for a cave. If you shadow him when he arrives he struggles with a password and finally spits out the phrase "Utaalk Ataraav Utkin". I bout fell out of my seat laughing when I finally put together that it was just Klaatu Vaarata Niktu backwards. I just saw Ash from Army of Darkness there struggling to remember the password before dooming us all after that. 

That was one of my favorite happy little accidental discoveries. Oh, and you had to utter that phrase to get in as well.

Oh, and you know that just as a rule when me and the group I was with got there I stepped up to the gate and said, "Klaatu Vaarata....nihumhercoughuhher"...

Army of Darkness clip for those lost. And if you're lost, go watch the Evil Dead trilogy you uncultured heathens. :p Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and Army of Darkness. Also a new show based on it called Ash vs Evil Dead. Enjoy.

This post was edited by Kratuk at October 5, 2017 11:08 AM PDT
    • 151 posts
    October 5, 2017 2:33 PM PDT

Kratuk said:

I can tell some of the guys have fun with these too. One that gave me a good chuckle back in Vanguard was the entrance to Riftseeker's Torrent I think it was. You find this NPC headed for a cave. If you shadow him when he arrives he struggles with a password and finally spits out the phrase "Utaalk Ataraav Utkin". I bout fell out of my seat laughing when I finally put together that it was just Klaatu Vaarata Niktu backwards. I just saw Ash from Army of Darkness there struggling to remember the password before dooming us all after that. 

That was one of my favorite happy little accidental discoveries. Oh, and you had to utter that phrase to get in as well.

Oh, and you know that just as a rule when me and the group I was with got there I stepped up to the gate and said, "Klaatu Vaarata....nihumhercoughuhher"...

Army of Darkness clip for those lost. And if you're lost, go watch the Evil Dead trilogy you uncultured heathens. :p Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and Army of Darkness. Also a new show based on it called Ash vs Evil Dead. Enjoy.

The really funny part is that it was a spoof in Evil Dead. It actually originated in an old film "The Day the Earth Stood Still" there was a remake not that long ago. It was a pass phrase to shut down the world killing robot.

• 470 posts
    October 5, 2017 2:36 PM PDT

Maximis said:

Kratuk said:

The really funny part is that it was a spoof in Evil Dead. It actually originated in an old film "The Day the Earth Stood Still" there was a remake not that long ago. It was a pass phrase to shut down the world killing robot.

Yeah, I remember seeing it in the older film (haven't seen the Keanu Reeves version yet). Just the Evil Dead saga I think is where they drew the inspiration for that little scenario. It was quite funny to come across and have that slow burn realization of what it was you just saw happen. lol

• 316 posts
    October 5, 2017 3:40 PM PDT

Awesome, thanks!

• 72 posts
    October 6, 2017 11:41 AM PDT
    Would this be something along the lines of "hail" guard. And "what monster" like in EQ?