Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

pre-alpha mentioned in the stream

• 319 posts
    September 30, 2017 12:11 PM PDT

I heard mention of pre-alpha one in yesterdays twitch. Is there going to be more than one pre-alpha??

• 166 posts
    September 30, 2017 12:46 PM PDT
    No they said that this are only intern steps, but it will only be one pre alpha, alpha or beta. But of course during the pre alpha they will fix several problems and add some stuff to the game, so internally they will split it in various versions.
    • 9115 posts
    September 30, 2017 6:31 PM PDT

PA1 is internal speak for Pre-alpha, there will only be one Pre-alpha but we will use PA1, PA2 etc. to describe phases of development so I wouldn't worry too much about the terminology we use, just know that there will be Pre-alpha to help us set up for Alpha which will, in turn, help us set up for Beta.

Alpha and Beta will be rather long to help us do what we need to do to bring the game in line with release expectations.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at September 30, 2017 6:31 PM PDT
    • 82 posts
    September 30, 2017 7:33 PM PDT

I really hope prealpha will be this year, *fingers crossed*

• 133 posts
    September 30, 2017 9:44 PM PDT
    Based on Cohh's smile when that subject came up on stream, I would honestly be shocked if it wasn't just around the corner.
    • 470 posts
    September 30, 2017 9:51 PM PDT

Hunk said: Based on Cohh's smile when that subject came up on stream, I would honestly be shocked if it wasn't just around the corner.

I got that impression from the language. But time will tell. Game development is sneaky like that.

• 9115 posts
    October 1, 2017 1:56 AM PDT

Hunk said: Based on Cohh's smile when that subject came up on stream, I would honestly be shocked if it wasn't just around the corner.

Cohh doesn't know anything more than you guys, he just smiles like that because he is genuinely excited about the game and our progress and like you folks, he can't wait for the game to release :)

• 133 posts
    October 1, 2017 7:41 AM PDT
    Fair enough ^^
    • 103 posts
    October 1, 2017 8:22 AM PDT

Ultra said:

I really hope prealpha will be this year, *fingers crossed*

Well "very soon" wouldn't be soon (in my opinion) if it weren't this year. Not to mention that in the Q&A, they say that pre-alpha is 2017.

• 323 posts
    October 1, 2017 9:21 AM PDT

Jacasta said:

Well "very soon" wouldn't be soon (in my opinion) if it weren't this year. Not to mention that in the Q&A, they say that pre-alpha is 2017.

The Q&A is always subject to change, though.  I think we should manage our expectations about pre-alpha, notwithstanding the obvious progress VR has made.  Maybe it will start this year, but if it doesn't, I for one would like to see folks just take that in stride. The streams this year should inspire confidence that our patience will be rewarded. 

• 470 posts
    October 1, 2017 10:07 AM PDT

Gnog said:

Jacasta said:

The Q&A is always subject to change, though.  I think we should manage our expectations about pre-alpha, notwithstanding the obvious progress VR has made.  Maybe it will start this year, but if it doesn't, I for one would like to see folks just take that in stride. The streams this year should inspire confidence that our patience will be rewarded. 

It's for this reason any time that we hear words like "soon", "soon TM", or "very soon" that we pull out our handy dandy guide to "A Brief History of Time According to Sapience". This one written by one of the guys on the LOTRO team a while back and I absolutely love this thing.

https://www.lotro.com/en/content/brief-history-time-according-sapience

• 287 posts
    October 1, 2017 11:14 AM PDT
    The game looks amazing, exceeded my expectations by a lot. Look forward to getting in there and testing.
    • 399 posts
    October 1, 2017 8:38 PM PDT

Would Kilsin even tell us if it wasn't this year?

• 9115 posts
    October 1, 2017 11:08 PM PDT

Durp said:

Would Kilsin even tell us if it wasn't this year?

I would definitely tell you guys if it was delayed again for a reasonable amount of time but at this stage, everything is on track :)

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at October 1, 2017 11:08 PM PDT
    • 103 posts
    October 1, 2017 11:18 PM PDT

Kratuk said:

Gnog said:

Jacasta said:

It's for this reason any time that we hear words like "soon", "soon TM", or "very soon" that we pull out our handy dandy guide to "A Brief History of Time According to Sapience". This one written by one of the guys on the LOTRO team a while back and I absolutely love this thing.

lmao xD That's great

• 724 posts
    October 1, 2017 11:51 PM PDT

Lol that guide is hilarious, but also sooo true :)

• 17 posts
    October 2, 2017 4:17 AM PDT

Also see Valve Time © :)

Anyway, I just hope there is still some time left so I can upgrade my pledge to alpha at least...

• 556 posts
    October 2, 2017 11:31 AM PDT

Kilsin said:Alpha and Beta will be rather long to help us do what we need to do to bring the game in line with release expectations.

Does this mean that you're previous estimation of pre alpha only lasting a "couple months" still stands? With longer alpha/beta phases to really find/fix/complete the game?

• 9115 posts
    October 2, 2017 6:58 PM PDT

Enitzu said:

Kilsin said:Alpha and Beta will be rather long to help us do what we need to do to bring the game in line with release expectations.

Does this mean that you're previous estimation of pre alpha only lasting a "couple months" still stands? With longer alpha/beta phases to really find/fix/complete the game?

We don;t have a timeframe for PA1 or Alpha/Beta, but PA1 is to help us set the game and servers up for large amounts of people and to help crush and game-breaking bugs that would affect large amounts of people, so however long it takes to get a stable build running minus game breaking bugs is how long Pre-Alpha will last, it may be only a month it may be longer but we won't know until we get in and test.

What we do know is we want a long Alpha/Beta period to make sure we comprehensively test the game so we can push out a relatively bug-free and smooth experience for the games' official launch.

• 133 posts
    October 2, 2017 7:06 PM PDT
    Hearing this statement is music to the ears. In an age where games are rushed out the door buggy and broken, this is really nice change.
    • 47 posts
    October 2, 2017 9:57 PM PDT

Kratuk said:

Gnog said:

Jacasta said:

Sapience was awesome :D

• 2756 posts
    October 3, 2017 8:53 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Cohh doesn't know anything more than you guys, he just smiles like that because he is genuinely excited about the game and our progress and like you folks, he can't wait for the game to release :)

I love how Cohh gets geniunely excited in your streams. I know I do too seeing them! I'm gonna be streaming and making vids as soon as we are allowed, but I sha'n't be showing my ugly mug ;)

• 9 posts
    October 22, 2017 11:51 AM PDT

FYI, Pre-Alpha is this year (2017).  Just announced on Twitch 11-ish hours ago.  
    I don't know how long "long phases" are, but I would anticipate 6 months to 12 months per phase.  So Launch should be between Mid 2019 and late 2020.  

• 3852 posts
    October 22, 2017 12:22 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Alpha and Beta will be rather long to help us do what we need to do to bring the game in line with release expectations.

Not to be a forum lawyer, but this clearly implies that pre-alpha is expected to be less than "rather long". If the earlier hope of testing taking a year proves to be on the mark, release in 2018 is quite consistant with the above quote.

This post was edited by dorotea at October 22, 2017 12:23 PM PDT
    • 1120 posts
    October 22, 2017 12:30 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Enitzu said:

We don;t have a timeframe for PA1 or Alpha/Beta, but PA1 is to help us set the game and servers up for large amounts of people and to help crush and game-breaking bugs that would affect large amounts of people, so however long it takes to get a stable build running minus game breaking bugs is how long Pre-Alpha will last, it may be only a month it may be longer but we won't know until we get in and test.

What we do know is we want a long Alpha/Beta period to make sure we comprehensively test the game so we can push out a relatively bug-free and smooth experience for the games' official launch.

This is information that i knew, but still enjoy re-reading.  Hopefully we see alpha around february!