Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Using slides for character Creation

• 103 posts
    September 29, 2017 8:36 PM PDT

I know, long name (best I could do to give an idea what this is about), but this is a major part of creating an MMO, the initial character creation is what really draws you closer to your character. In my opinion, most games that I myself have played have failed at this, because they limit your character's face to precreated ones. However, if you think about it, that only led to more time spent on creating it than necessary, doing nothing to actually help the character  creation but instead harm and limit it. 

This wasn't an initial thought I had, in fact it took me several hours to think of it, but earlier in the stream all of their graphics were not predecided ones where you had a very low, low, standard, high, etc. option,  but could instead use a slide to best suit your preference and/or computer's compatibility. If they were able to implement something like this into the graphics, then I have no doubt that they can implement something similar into character creation. I know that this isn't something new, that many games have accomplished this, but I'm just pointing out that they've already implemented sliders, so why not add t hem into character creation? 

Now I could be wrong as I've never been one to develop a game nor create any form of art on a computer, but I would think that by creating a preset face you'd merely be creating more work for yourself (though I'm sure that the devs/the peeps who are creating the system already know this). By using sliders, they'd merely have to set in the middle ground, and how it would progress as the slider went down/up. Simple as that. 

I'd also personally be interested in seeing this type of system be implemented for your body's hight, weight, muscle mass, the location of tatoos/scars and how large they can be, etc. Course this would probably adding more work for them (but in the end, it's their job to work...right?). 

So what're your thought on this? And how much do you wanna bet that I'm gonna have that one guy who post a list of other forums that have touched base on this. And finally, can we get any word on the plans for characters creation, or what's already been set in place. We haven't had much word nor visuals of creating characters, and it'd be nice to get a better idea as to what we can expect.

• 511 posts
    September 29, 2017 9:16 PM PDT

VG had a pretty robust charactor creation system, I would think this game wouldn't be much different.

• 103 posts
    September 29, 2017 9:19 PM PDT

Dreconic said:

VG had a pretty robust charactor creation system, I would think this game wouldn't be much different.

I hope so, though I've never played VG. Suppose I'll visit a video showing off their character creation

• 103 posts
    September 29, 2017 9:24 PM PDT

Update: I've looked at it and I liked what I was seeing. Though the graphics were bothersome, but thats 2007 for ya. Hopefully we'll get something much like that

• 511 posts
    September 29, 2017 9:32 PM PDT

Jacasta said:

Update: I've looked at it and I liked what I was seeing. Though the graphics were bothersome, but thats 2007 for ya. Hopefully we'll get something much like that

Yeah I really enjoyed spending hours makign charactors. I use to have a thread on VG where I posted look alikes and people would post pictures and I would try to copy them. I had a really good Goerge W Bush Senior and one of Dog the Bounty Hunter :D

• 103 posts
    September 29, 2017 9:50 PM PDT

Dreconic said:

Jacasta said:

Yeah I really enjoyed spending hours makign charactors. I use to have a thread on VG where I posted look alikes and people would post pictures and I would try to copy them. I had a really good Goerge W Bush Senior and one of Dog the Bounty Hunter :D

lmao That sounds great

• 511 posts
    September 29, 2017 9:53 PM PDT

sadly I lost my images as that harddrive was corrupted and back then I did not raid or backup  :(

• 220 posts
    September 29, 2017 11:27 PM PDT

I love robust character creators, but am always victimized by performance requirements limiting my options.  If 100 people with different facial and body settings are standing within 5 meters of you, is the game stable enough?  I remain hopeful that the nicheness of the game may allow us a more rich character creator. Not to mention what Bruno is doing may make these concerns a thing of the past.

• 103 posts
    September 30, 2017 12:04 AM PDT

Larr said:

I love robust character creators, but am always victimized by performance requirements limiting my options.  If 100 people with different facial and body settings are standing within 5 meters of you, is the game stable enough?  I remain hopeful that the nicheness of the game may allow us a more rich character creator. Not to mention what Bruno is doing may make these concerns a thing of the past.

Only time can tell, though I have faith in VR and it's hard working peeps that they'll do whats best and make it work ^_^

• 422 posts
    September 30, 2017 12:26 AM PDT

I want to see lots of options. Sliders like we see in modern games like Blade and Soul, BDO, and such. I want to be able to tweak almost every body part, every hair, etc.

• 133 posts
    September 30, 2017 9:15 AM PDT
    I've paid close attention to the wording used when character creation topics have come up. To my *understanding* they've taken the stance of roughly it'll be sufficient but by no means as lavish as say Black Desert Online's character creation.
    Don't ask for the source I don't keep track of them for games. I'm sure you can summon Kilsin for a more insightful response. If the character creation is as good as Vanguard's then bonus! Just don't set the expectations too high for this one *just* yet.
    • 1921 posts
    September 30, 2017 9:59 AM PDT

Jacasta said: ... So what're your thought on this?  ...

Personally, in most MMO's, what I look like or what others look like, at a micro level? I don't particularly care.  As long as I can discern race, I don't even care what their gear looks like.  If you want to wear cloth apperance gear and you're a warrior who, under the appearance, is wearing plate?  All good in my opinion.  Doesn't bother me in the slightest, and PvP arguments to the contrary are trivially solved by PvP specific rules.

Originally, in Vanguard Beta, you could make fat and skinny goblins.  Then, post launch, you couldn't.  The slider had maybe three positions of body type, all of which you couldn't really tell close up or at a glance.  To me, that change was really unfortunate.  If I want to make a fat halfling, let me.  If I want to make a skinny ogre, let me.  Even NWN1 lets you make fat or skinny of any race.

Hair styles, hair colors, skin colors, all that?  As much latitude as the lore permits.  Tattoos, scars, aging, piercings and so on?  Great, but, if they're always covered by armor, then I see less of a reason to have them.  However, if appearance gear lets you show them off?  Great, throw in 10 of each or more if time permits.

One thing though, that I DO want, is numeric indicators for the slider positions so I can replicate, exactly, the appearance of a character again, if desired.  Or some way to save those numbers locally in a profile so I can just click that again and have that character appearance again.  What I HATE is having to try and guess or find one pixel out of 200 on a slider to get that exact hair color, nose size, or cheekbone angle.  Just let me save it and we're good.

• 844 posts
    September 30, 2017 12:22 PM PDT

Dreconic said:

It was not as robust as some other MMOs of the time and will certainly not be enough for modern MMO players.

I fully expect it to be sufficient, but nowhere near what we see from many modern korean MMO's.

But as long as gameplay is masterful, deficiencies in character creation can be overlooked and tweaked later on. If gameplay is bad, it matters not how good character creation is. :(

• 1281 posts
    September 30, 2017 7:07 PM PDT

VG used Unreal engine which is pretty robust. I think character creation in Pantheon will be limited somewhat by Unity. I suspect you will be able to use predrawn faces, hair, etc. I've done some research and character morphing seems pretty limited at this point.

Does anyone know of a Unity game that allows character morphing and other types of advanced creation?

This post was edited by bigdogchris at September 30, 2017 7:08 PM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    October 3, 2017 9:17 AM PDT

I always take an age in character creation - yes it's an important part for many.

I like to have presets (the professional art guys know what they are doing) but then be allowed to adjust them.

Black Desert, for example, went totally over-the-top.  I hated their system as I felt I needed training in graphic design, scuplting, fashion and several other related areas to get anything looking half decent.

There's a definite sweetspot between too little and too much 'choice' in character creation.

• 133 posts
    October 3, 2017 10:05 AM PDT
    Disp I can completely understand that view point but having a greater range also allows for some very creative designs to come out as well. Some of the characters people have made on there are brilliantly done.

We already know that Pantheon will not have a character creation as far reached as Black Desert unless that's changed which I'm fairly certain it hasn't. I'm usually of the opinion having more options than not enough is better than having too few options. All we can hope for is the next series of Funding is reached and we get the best product VR wants and can deliver.
    • 1281 posts
    October 3, 2017 4:50 PM PDT

What would be nice is an "offline" character creating app so that you could create differeent characters, then apply the one(s) that you want to the game.

• 2419 posts
    October 3, 2017 5:09 PM PDT

I want sliders that have effects as broad as what you see in ARK.  You can get some truly outrageous bodies in that game.

• 16 posts
    October 4, 2017 3:40 PM PDT

If VR get it close to CoH I would be happy .

• 454 posts
    October 4, 2017 7:39 PM PDT

I look at the art/graphics VR is putting in the game for clouds, trees, water, and I see greatness.  VR will certainly put in good graphics for characters, but I must say that with armor covering my body character graphics tattoos etc. aren't high on my list.  If you can have invisible helmets than my face matters.  And not to start another point, but I want capes.

• 1281 posts
    October 4, 2017 7:44 PM PDT

Questaar said:

I look at the art/graphics VR is putting in the game for clouds, trees, water, and I see greatness.  VR will certainly put in good graphics for characters, but I must say that with armor covering my body character graphics tattoos etc. aren't high on my list.  If you can have invisible helmets than my face matters.  And not to start another point, but I want capes.

Edna says "No capes!"  hehehehehe

Mod Edit: Removed image as per guidelines, please keep memes and images to their specific threads :)

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at October 4, 2017 9:02 PM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    October 21, 2017 6:38 PM PDT

As an update:

twitchtv broadcast 20171021 @3:01:38 , Character Creation UI

Stats: Strength, Stamina, Agility, Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom, Intelligence, Charisma (all at 8, by default)
    Visual body sliders: Height, Nose Size, Nose tilt, Ear Size, Cheek Size, Lip Size, Eye Size, Brow height, Skin Color, Eye Color, Hair Style

z

• 1120 posts
    October 21, 2017 6:41 PM PDT

i just wanna be able to change my character after creation... i wanna spend an hour customizing myself, but i also wanna play the game immediately!

• 2752 posts
    October 21, 2017 8:31 PM PDT

vjek said:

As an update:

Stats: Strength, Stamina, Agility, Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom, Intelligence, Charisma (all at 8, by default)
    Visual body sliders: Height, Nose Size, Nose tilt, Ear Size, Cheek Size, Lip Size, Eye Size, Brow height, Skin Color, Eye Color, Hair Style

z

Hopefully at least one more option is added: facial scaring. 

• 1281 posts
    October 21, 2017 8:34 PM PDT

Iksar said:

vjek said:

As an update:

z

Hopefully at least one more option is added: facial scaring. 

Let's not forget facial tattoos/woad, which could be added to the scarring slider.