Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

An idea I got during the Art/Tech stream with Cohhcarnage 29/9

• 3 posts
    September 29, 2017 2:38 PM PDT

This could very well be in the completly wrong subforum, but I couldn't really find anything more fitting...

So as the title says, I had an idea during the tech stream.

Cohh noticed that he could target a npc from very far away, and doing so you could see its name and healthbar etc.

My idea was, that maybe you should be able to target something from that distance, but have the information be replaced with "???", unless you perhaps pass something like a perception check. So in essence unless you have "eagle eyes" you can see someones there, but you can't really tell who or what they are.

Anyway that was just something that struck me while watching.

Best regards

Z.H.

• 483 posts
    September 29, 2017 2:42 PM PDT

+1 really like the idea, rangers and some of the more sharp eyed races could have a bonus to this perception check

This post was edited by jpedrote at September 29, 2017 2:43 PM PDT
    • 3 posts
    September 29, 2017 2:45 PM PDT

@jpedrote

Yes! That would be pretty cool!

• 12 posts
    September 29, 2017 3:16 PM PDT

Seems like yet another great way to make a class stand out from the rest.  @jpedrote is right about rangers or races.

• 133 posts
    September 29, 2017 4:38 PM PDT
    Great suggestion. I'm sure Kilsin will glance in this thread.
    • 1434 posts
    September 29, 2017 4:44 PM PDT

Good idea. Range attached to perception.

• 9115 posts
    September 29, 2017 4:47 PM PDT

Hunk said: Great suggestion. I'm sure Kilsin will glance in this thread.

Already glanced, noted and passed on :)

This, like many things, is a work in progress and things like this will be something we will ask for feedback on during testing but it is a good suggestion, Zanganhun, thanks :)

• 3 posts
    September 29, 2017 4:52 PM PDT

That is very cool to hear Kilsin!

Thank you to everyone else aswell for commenting!

Best Regards

Z.H.

• 399 posts
    September 29, 2017 5:21 PM PDT

And this is what pre-alpha and perhaps even alpha are ideally suited for.  Not just bug reporting but the feedback.  Just as you saw COHH play around and look at stuff, so will PA's do things and hopefully give feedback like: "I was doing this and that happened.  Wouldn't it be cool if, when doing this and that, such and such thing could be triggered that would affect so and so?  From having read the 1000's of posts, there are many many people here with brilliantly creative minds that would totally respond to being inside the system..   can't wait.

• 3237 posts
    September 29, 2017 6:42 PM PDT

Wonderful thread, and great ideas!  I love how the world is really starting to come together.  It was nice seeing them run around in non-aggro mode as it allowed us to better appreciate the "life" of the world.  The ambience effects (visual/audio) blended together really well, and the "gloom atmosphere" was on point.  You could see the ruined skeletons in what felt like a natural habitat for them ... I can imagine the crows from above potentially being aggro and having some "eagle eyes" of their own!  With the added atmospheric effect, I can see how that area could shape into the kind of challenging "PVE"that we have been looking for.  The team really pulled together on this ... the quality/graphic upgrades, the mob placement/pathing, the way Ben & Ben & Ben told their story at 32:09 - 32:26  --  it was epic.  Really cool spot for a gloom-charged "something nasty" to spawn.  Coming soon ... to a theatre near you.

Here is a link to the video if anybody hasn't seen it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3mr5_SDgsk

This post was edited by oneADseven at September 29, 2017 6:53 PM PDT
    • 133 posts
    September 29, 2017 6:42 PM PDT
    I really like your ideas here.

How about having an end-game craftable or lootable, ultra rare telescope thingy, which could also provide some or all of the same info, usable by other classes?
    • 37 posts
    September 30, 2017 2:41 AM PDT

Great idea! Very creative! Hope something like it gets implemented. Makes perfect sense if you think about it. And certain classes having an edge over others makes perfect sense in this situation! Doesn't make the game unfair at all and makes things more interesting.

• 1281 posts
    September 30, 2017 7:16 PM PDT

This idea would be great for enhancing the /con system. When you first target a NPC you have never seen before you may have to /con or find some other type of information about it before being able to quickly recognize it in the future.

• 20 posts
    October 1, 2017 7:43 AM PDT

Love this idea. I wish the forums had a like function (new forums when? :P )

• 123 posts
    October 1, 2017 1:22 PM PDT

Editing and moving a comment from another thread, sorry for that :)

As Cohh I was amazed by the clipping and how far mobs can be targetted. I'm wondering if it could be an option to get some kind of scrutation skill that would allow to get a zoom to help scouting around, based on the same type of gameplay than sniper view in lots of games. That could be influenced by racial specifics (I have in mind Legolas that was able to detect the crebains in the long distance), or tools like lenses. Coupled to the climbing skill that could make a very good alternative to the old fashion tracking skill that required no real intelligence/skill from the player.

I imagine the difference :

A - Zoning in, clicking on track, selecting the mob in the list and following the track

B - Zoning in, wandering to find a good point of view, climbing, using scrutation skill to search for the mob, marking it when found, and following the track

I prefer B, so much more immersive ! I always thought it was too easy to put a ranger at the zone in to know which mobs where up.

• 454 posts
    October 1, 2017 3:51 PM PDT

A very cool idea.  Love it!  I may need to make a ranger, just for that idea.  I'm torn between wishing I could /agro and just investigate Terminus, during the PA1.  So cool.

• 2138 posts
    October 1, 2017 4:14 PM PDT

Or rangers could cast a spell called hawk-eye that would have to be trained through marksmanship or sharpshooting, and once proficient enough they could do a cool hawk/bird related quest for the spell, and whenever they cast it, a hawk  cry wouold sound and it would look like they summoned a hawk that flew up from their arm into the sky. and the hawk would screech again once it was done.

Like a flying eye of Zomm with that sharpe-eye ability.

• 1281 posts
    October 2, 2017 6:11 PM PDT

I'm going to put in a vote for this as well....hehehe

• 2756 posts
    October 3, 2017 9:12 AM PDT

I had a similar feeling.  Telescopes, 'far sight' spells, just plain better eye sight, yeah, all that would be so cool.

• 2752 posts
    October 3, 2017 9:35 AM PDT

If ranger has a pet, perhaps it is the pet that does the tracking. The ranger picks something off his tracking list and gives the scent to his beast companion who then goes chasing toward where the mob is with ranger right behind. Or maybe it is a bird the ranger sends out and he finds it circling in the air above his tracked target. 

• 1404 posts
    October 3, 2017 10:08 AM PDT

Manouk said:

Or rangers could cast a spell called hawk-eye that would have to be trained through marksmanship or sharpshooting, and once proficient enough they could do a cool hawk/bird related quest for the spell, and whenever they cast it, a hawk  cry wouold sound and it would look like they summoned a hawk that flew up from their arm into the sky. and the hawk would screech again once it was done.

Like a flying eye of Zomm with that sharpe-eye ability.

Game of Thrones some of the Characters could do this. Bran Stark (the three eyed crow) they called it warging. They could see as well as control whatever they "warged" into.

• 2886 posts
    October 3, 2017 11:00 AM PDT

I really like the idea as long as it doesn't lead to a situation where one does not need to have a top notch computer capable of handling max clip distance to take full advantage of it.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at October 3, 2017 11:01 AM PDT
    • 399 posts
    October 3, 2017 1:10 PM PDT

Iksar said:

If ranger has a pet, perhaps it is the pet that does the tracking. The ranger picks something off his tracking list and gives the scent to his beast companion who then goes chasing toward where the mob is with ranger right behind. Or maybe it is a bird the ranger sends out and he finds it circling in the air above his tracked target. 

Oooh I like this thought.... building on this .....

How about instead of the ranger "picking something of his/her tracking list", perhaps his/her "pet" picks up the scent and notifies the ranger (through the use of his/her highly honed perception skill) what scents it has picked up and the ranger then "tells" the "pet" to track the monster....

If the ranger's perception skill is not honed (or low), it only picks up lower level monsters like bats.

Also the pet can notify the ranger it's picked up a scent but if the ranger's perception skill is too low, s/he would only know his/her pet picked up a scent but not what it was. So the ranger could not tell the pet to track it as one can't track what one doesn't know.

Ohhh the possibilities of this perception system are endless......

• 470 posts
    October 3, 2017 1:50 PM PDT

Durp said:

Iksar said:

Oooh I like this thought.... building on this .....

How about instead of the ranger "picking something of his/her tracking list", perhaps his/her "pet" picks up the scent and notifies the ranger (through the use of his/her highly honed perception skill) what scents it has picked up and the ranger then "tells" the "pet" to track the monster....

If the ranger's perception skill is not honed (or low), it only picks up lower level monsters like bats.

Also the pet can notify the ranger it's picked up a scent but if the ranger's perception skill is too low, s/he would only know his/her pet picked up a scent but not what it was. So the ranger could not tell the pet to track it as one can't track what one doesn't know.

Ohhh the possibilities of this perception system are endless......

That it is. I've been mulling over all the things it could be used for: divining lore from creatures and dungeons, noticing traps and hidden passages others can't see, possibly picking up on rare crafting nodes not visible to others, perceiving hidden threats, and maybe even tying it into combat and crafting. Maybe succeeding in a random perception check during combat notice a weakness that debuffs the target or reveals something they're weak to (blunt weapons, fire, ice, ect.). There are a lot of potential uses if the devs go and get creative.

This post was edited by Kratuk at October 3, 2017 1:51 PM PDT
    • 34 posts
    October 3, 2017 3:57 PM PDT

Lots of considerations to be made around this sort of mechanic, I think, though. It could be really interesting, but how will it play out across the board? If you know it's a bridge guard, for example (maybe you've just come from there and saw them up close)? Should you be able to target something at all if you can't see it (and how does that impact people with old PCs and low draw distance)? If it is race/class based, does this lead to a disadvantage for those who pick a race for role-playing purposes (and if so, is it enough of a disadvantage to negatively imapct gameplay)?