Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

To Guild Or Not To Guild?

• 542 posts
    August 28, 2017 2:20 PM PDT

ZennExile said:

What if your guild leader, was an NPC, and your company (friends) join that guild and can achieve ranks in that guild?  What if everyone could just have a slice, and play with their friends?  And maybe even organically make new friends.

Been wondering myself if it wouldn't be better if players would have the option to unite under a famous NPC .Guilds would grow organically,always opportunity to meet new people

Gone would be the private guilds that require all your attention so there is no left for new players on the way

Gone would be the need for constant recruiting,but how would bad behavior affect reputation in such a company? Maybe players would give more weight to bad behavior in their company?

• 208 posts
    August 28, 2017 2:22 PM PDT

I will be creating a 2nd generation guild in Pantheon opon release.  If I get into Alpha/beta I do not really see a point in joining a guild unless it is for laod/testing purposes because I suspect the servers and guild info stuff will be wiped before the actual release date.  To join you must be invited and sponsoroed by a guild member in good standing.  The leadership is aware that our play style is not for everyone but we truly beleive that a guild is just extended family.  To me a guild is helpful but not restrictive if that makes sense but most of all it should be fun to the person and not every person is right for every guild and vice versa. 

• 6 posts
    August 28, 2017 2:46 PM PDT

I will definitely go searching for a guild to play with once Pantheon goes live.

That being said, I do not wish to make the same mistake I made in EQ1, where I got into a raiding guild in which I didn't fit in. In addition, my life is radically different from when I played EQ1, so I will need to find a guild that values its members, and abides by the rule: RL > Game, ALWAYS.

Too many gaming communities make the game they play life itself, and, while that may be okay for those who have that kind of time on their hands or lack of commitments, I am not in that category. To me, a game should be just that, A GAME, not a full-time job complete with antisocial people yelling at you because you didn't master a brand new mechanic in some raid before ever experiencing it.

• 50 posts
    August 28, 2017 3:00 PM PDT

Will start looking for a guild when I'm in the game world. People can be like minded and awesome outside of the game but then you get into game and your schedules just don't sync up. I'll be in the Founders Guild though :).

This post was edited by Zazzaro at August 28, 2017 3:01 PM PDT
    • 13 posts
    August 28, 2017 3:05 PM PDT

Got some old school few together for beta. Personally I perfer forming guilds in betas and like others have stated....actually playing rather than recruiting random people. That being said, hope to see you all in game for some promising runs :)

• 454 posts
    August 28, 2017 4:05 PM PDT

I will look for a guild during late testing, early live.  I'm looking for a friendly guild that's into fun times, mostly grouping, and telling tall tales while grouping, some raiding, non-hard core. I don't want somebody telling me I can't go somewhere if I don't have a certain chestplate!  A place where there's adventure and crafting, give and take.  That's a lot harder to find than one would think.  I have hope though!

• 2138 posts
    August 28, 2017 4:23 PM PDT

Probably, eventually.

At first, I would like to find others that are on at the same time and group a few times to see how things go. Maybe spend a copuple of levels learning the class. Ideally I would like to get 4 others so as a tight group of 5, we can add one guest and get to know them. That way if one person cant make it or whatever we can rotate in and out. If they also have the same set up, we can get to know all their friends and if it gets big enough, a guild may happen organically. If there is already an existing guild and I have a regular group, I would prefer to join the guild as a whole group. 

• 34 posts
    August 28, 2017 4:43 PM PDT

I would like to find a Guild but I would like to find new frends especially I can group regularly with.

• 267 posts
    August 28, 2017 6:24 PM PDT

Guilded is the only way to go. It has to be the right fit and the right atmosphere but if you get it right you simply can't go back to not being guilded. Thankfully I have it alittle easier than a few others as I have a core group of friends I roll with that I know and trust to fit into the grand guild design if you will which allows us the freedom to jump straight into a guilded setting by creating it and administering it ourselves. Then its just a matter of picking up another 10-20 people that match our goals, playstyle and general vibe of our guild which ranges from serious getting stuff done to super silly "hold my beer and watch this" moves out of no where. 

Its a difficult balance to find the right people to fit in, but I guess thats part of the benefit of already having an established crew for a base to your guild that you can build around. We have all the time in the world to find others who fit in and there is no reason to rush that. 

• 36 posts
    August 29, 2017 1:08 PM PDT

Eventually yes, but I'm not a big fan of joining a guild pre-release.  At some point in the mid level range after seeing my fair share of grouping expierence, I will just make note of the players that I respected while grouping with, and keep their guilds in mind.I know what I'm looking for in a guild, and I don't like to treat it like an interview/huge life choice process. I'm more of a give it a shot and see how it goes type of player.

• 801 posts
    August 30, 2017 1:56 AM PDT

Kilsin, many factors.

but the older we get, the less time we have.

So i am unsure where i stand anymore, i am not in my 20's where we played EQ for 24 hrs straight. Brad and I are the same age group, and because this is his job, we both like free time out.

So a guild?? maybe hardcore raiding and maybe not at the start.

Remember EQ was a new game genre game back then, some looked to progress others did not. Some or i should say many progressed for greed. What i mean is we tend to go raid after raid watching the same people gear out, leaving everyone last. You put as much if not more effort into things, and watched them turn out gear after gear or flags to get ahead. When questioned they would boot you out.

So yes many of us that have played under those Beta. Alpha guilds have had this happen, or seen it first hand. We havent mentioned the ones that stolen the guild banks and ran.

• 108 posts
    August 30, 2017 3:55 PM PDT

Currently in a guild since beta of daoc back in 2001.

• 34 posts
    August 30, 2017 4:01 PM PDT

Being part of a Guild is important especially in a game like this to me, I prefer to group within one, I am not saying I won't outside one, because it's not always possible to get one. Sometimes I am a lone wolf but most of the time I prefer the banter and being to talk to people while battling.

Cleric will probably be my class and are best within one.

I did play DAOC for awhile but I have never been much of a fan of PVP, with arthritis in my fingers and hands it does make a touch slower.

Lol why do I still play computer games with the pain and discomfort maybe I am just a gluten for punishment but painkillers help.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at August 30, 2017 5:32 PM PDT
    • 129 posts
    August 30, 2017 9:32 PM PDT

Been playing with the same guild for 5 years in P99 and Agnarr. If this holds up, we will be here too. End game is always guild v. guild. Anyone not in that mindset just gets left behind the raid scene.

• 1860 posts
    August 30, 2017 9:38 PM PDT

I think most people with gaming experience know not to choose a guild prior to the game being released.  There are to many variables that could make another guild a better fit.

I'm assuming...maybe I shouldn't, you know what they say...guilds will be a requirment in order to experience a majority of the content in a timely fashion.  I'm hoping the gameplay is challenging enough at later levels that players will only group either in guild, or with the few other capable guilds on the server.  That was standard in EQ.

Of course we will guild.  That is a lot of what this game has been advertised around from the beginning.   It seems like a silly question...are we really digging that deep to try to pass the time?

• 239 posts
    August 31, 2017 12:46 AM PDT

I will probably be running solo for the first few weeks. Do not like someone to rush me through stuff just to get geared and leveled up. But after that I like the family guilds that have fun with the game, and not to compete with other guilds to be the first.

That reminds me. Paladin looking for a guild.  No, wiat, Shaman looking for a guild.  Err wait, Ranger here looking for a guild! Or maybe Direlord looking to guild up.  Hmm this is going to be tough.

• 178 posts
    August 31, 2017 6:07 AM PDT

Not going to guild at the start. I want to meet the players who have a playstyle compatible with mine on a timeframe similar to mine. Guilding too early, I feel, hinders the social aspect and grouping for adventure and excitement and to enjoy a relaxed, casual, and engrossing evening or couple hours of gameplay. It's really what I miss the most about EQ. So, I'd like to give Pantheon a chance in that regard. Maybe that style of gameplay can be recaptured. Maybe it can't. But I'd like to see what the Pantheon playerbase can be and will be before I decide to guild and with whom I will guild.

• 110 posts
    August 31, 2017 3:09 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Are you already part of a guild, if not will you look for one when you play Pantheon or do you just run with a small group of friends or family? #PRF

From an RP standpoint I think I am going to choose to run solo, but group with others.  I am running as a healer when the game launches so would like to make a name for myself as a healer for higher (w/o the money of course)  If I ever do decide to guild its as others have said.  I'd want a chance to meet people and get to know them before I just say yes I'll join your guild. 

• 3237 posts
    September 1, 2017 1:09 PM PDT

It seems like a lot of people are missing out!  One of the greatest attractions to this game, for me, has been it's community.  There are plenty of like-minded gamers floating around that have been lured to Pantheon for many of the same reasons.  I can definitely appreciate the idea of meeting new friends organically in the world ... I'll always miss those days back from EQOA/FFXI (I started off as a lonewolf in my first couple games!) and even early EQ2.  As I spent more and more time gaming over the years, I learned what kind of people I prefer to game with.  When an MMO is first released, it can be chaos for the first week or two.  Eventually though ... the population dwindles down as you continue to progress your character and the company you keep becomes more exclusive.  Rather than having 100 people to group with, there might only be 10 or 20.  I remember starting my first guild back in EQOA ... there were about 40-50 people looking to work on their epic quests but there was no united front from which to operate.  So we banded together ... we all had high playtime and we wanted to push the envelope for having the first epic unlocks on the server for each class.

Those were good times ... but nowadays, I don't see the point in waiting.  Rather than looking for like-minded players from a random server, I'd rather start the process well in advance from a much larger player pool.  Many of us have been doing this for a long time and it's not hard to relate to each other once you start talking about past accomplishments or future goals.  But that's the angle I have been taking ... rather than letting the dust settle and picking from what's available on a random server, I've been actively engaging folks from the entire community since I joined it.  It's been a pleasure getting to know so many wonderful friends while I wait for this game to get into testing.  The only issue I have now is finding a game that we can all play together while we wait ... but hopefully that won't be too much longer.  Either way, we have started a great community and we all want to jump into Terminus as a collective force as soon as possible.

This post was edited by oneADseven at September 1, 2017 1:24 PM PDT
    • 1303 posts
    September 1, 2017 1:15 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Are you already part of a guild, if not will you look for one when you play Pantheon or do you just run with a small group of friends or family? #PRF

Generally I go unguilded. Occasionally after months of play I'll meet a group of people that I really get along with. And if, after playing many many hours with them and find that I like them and respect them and they actually invite me to a guild, I'll consider it. But often I find the drama of being in a guild a hell of a lot more hassle than its worth. 

• 416 posts
    September 1, 2017 10:32 PM PDT

My first goal is to find a group of players that I can team up with regularly and have a good time with. Hopefully joining a guild will evolve naturally from there.

• 201 posts
    September 3, 2017 9:28 AM PDT

Always looking for a good guild, but i like to know at least a couple of people in the guild first and play with them and see what kind of people they are first.  No joining sight unseen for me.

• 287 posts
    September 3, 2017 9:31 AM PDT
    I have been in small family guilds and big raiding ones. Definitely prefer the smaller ones and that is what I will look for.
    • 85 posts
    September 3, 2017 7:38 PM PDT

It will all depends on who shows up.  I have friends and old guild mates who are all looking at the game. I'm pretty sure most will be playing, so we will most likely be playing together.  If there are enough of us, we may form up our old guild/make a new one, or if we feel like we need more people, we will possibly look to join up with another like minded guild.  Or just try to recruit.
    It's also going to depend on who we meet in Alpha/Beta...the more friends we have at launch, the better.  
    At this point, anything could happen.