Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Personalities

• 2130 posts
    July 9, 2017 2:47 AM PDT

I don't believe this has been discussed here, but I believe that pretty much everything has been discussed ad nauseam at this point. However, there is one cool potential feature I'd like to point out. ESO has a feature that I haven't really seen in another game called "personalities", and functionally when you "equip" them, they change your character's animations to fit a certain aesthetic or "personality" as the name applies.

An example of this would be the Thief personality, where your idle animation and sneak animation are altered to give you a more cunning/mischievous appearance.

Alternatively, the Telvanni Magister personality where your idle animation is replaced by a contemplative posture, hand under the chin as an example.

Collecting aesthetics is upwards of 50% of my gameplay, and I really liked this system for the unique flavor it can give to your character. In a game of thousands of players, the more ways we have to set ourselves apart from eachother can only be a good thing. People value individuality.

• 2138 posts
    July 9, 2017 4:26 AM PDT

I was thinking of something similar! although in the form of a broader range of emotes, or emote animations.

• 2130 posts
    July 9, 2017 5:19 AM PDT

Manouk said:

I was thinking of something similar! although in the form of a broader range of emotes, or emote animations.

Some of the personalities affected emotes as well, definitely a great addition.

One might modify a bow to be graceful and proper, another might modify it to be sarcastic and over the top.

• 338 posts
    July 9, 2017 5:41 AM PDT

I could see something like this being tied to getting "set" gear.

After you collect and equip the whole set some custom animations are unlocked.

Would be a cool bonus without just increasing stats.

Kiz~

• 483 posts
    July 9, 2017 7:42 AM PDT

Seems like a great costumization option!

If animators can spare the time for something like this, I'd say go for it, sounds really fun.

• 189 posts
    July 9, 2017 8:31 AM PDT

Hopefully our wizards don't turn into mischievous looking thieves. I think it would be a great idea (like jped said, "If animators can spare the time..") as long as our classes still stick with the same role. I don't know if there's going to be the option to choose good, evil or neutral in this game yet, but if there is, we don't want an evil dark myr prancing around all happy like either.

Never played ESO so I'm not really familiar with the personality stuff you're talking about. But I think I'm with everyone with the idea of some small cosmetic stuff. I love cosmetics.

My favorite game for cosmetics was Rift. You could turn gear you already had and liked into an outfit. And it was gear for your class too. So you just got to pick and chose the favorite piece of armors you liked and create a whole new look for yourself. And then you got to dye it!!!! I miss rift customization :( Too bad they made you pay for the new expansion.

This post was edited by fancy at July 9, 2017 8:32 AM PDT
    • 125 posts
    July 9, 2017 9:41 AM PDT

I think its a great idea for future content. I plan on playing a Dark Myr. I also plan on aligning him with some other race which I havent decided on yet but still with a strong myr personality. It would be nice to adapt a weapon with symbolism which shows an aliance with that other race so just upon viewing my character one would see he is allied with another race through some act yet still holds to myr belief to a strong degree.

Maybe I dont have to carry a Trident/Pithcfork that way... yes... Im obsessed with not having to yield a trident LOL.

This post was edited by Aatu at July 9, 2017 9:44 AM PDT
    • 294 posts
    July 9, 2017 10:19 AM PDT

I like the basic concept of personalities. I think everyone tries for a certain look or vibe when creating their character from the start, so why not add change to it along the way to enhance the feel of a character. It would suit rollplay better for certain.

• 156 posts
    July 9, 2017 11:47 PM PDT

Liav said:

Manouk said:

Some of the personalities affected emotes as well, definitely a great addition.

One might modify a bow to be graceful and proper, another might modify it to be sarcastic and over the top.

Yeah, I love the Heroic personality purely for the greet emote. Makes my DK Tank even more awesome!

I love this idea!

• 190 posts
    July 10, 2017 4:05 AM PDT

EQ2 has this in a small scale. I have one character who is always grumpy. A few emotes can be on in a permanent fashion. So if you log in and type /angry, her face is always frowning. While standing idle, she crosses her arms, shifts a bit, taps her foot which can be achieved with /impatient, but it's automatic with the /angry emote on. If it could be done to a bit of a larger scale - more emotes or actions altered to reflect the emotion or personality of the character would be fun.

It makes me think a little of the Sims 4 and their "walk" animation that you choose for your characters and som of their personality traits that bleed into other Sim interactions.

• 33 posts
    July 10, 2017 6:37 AM PDT

I like the idea of personalities. That sounds like fun and would add extra variations between the players.

• 542 posts
    July 10, 2017 5:15 PM PDT

I believe personalities are more than a "potential feature"

because it has the potential to improve games in many more areas.

what the OP suggests;character animations applying to certain personalities might fall under "attitude"

Values is one of those other areas.
    Like in guildwars 2 the asura's culture invest a lot of time perfecting their golems with golemancy
    So it would be awesome if the engineers of their race could specialize as golemancers
    Wizards of such an intelligent race could have research ,alchemy,spellcraft.
    So personalities have the potential to carry a piece of culture into the skill system(specializations),diversifying it further

Emotes would probably fall under the third category;social relationships
    Also for interaction between player and NPC there could be huge improvements.And that in turn would add depth to the reputation sytem,
    based on how a player deals with an NPC in a certain mood like "annoyed" "lazy" "amused" "aggressive" ,as those moods are applied to NPCs regardless of good/evil alignment.
    This means that the player has to consider carefully before approaching NPCs too,adding a level of depth to NPC interaction and social relations never seen before in MMOs

As players would need to learn how to deal with certain situations and moods,like as in real life

Maybe NPCs are even able to identify your habits and are able respond to that.So personalities even have the potential to vastly improve the AI too

This post was edited by Fluffy at July 10, 2017 5:27 PM PDT