Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Mounts allowing for multiple riders?

• 74 posts
    July 7, 2017 6:55 PM PDT
    Has the VR team considered allowing two people to ride on the same mount together? I imagine that mounts will be expensive for newer players and it would be cool if an experienced player could have a lowbie hop on for some faster travel.

Thoughts?
    • 166 posts
    July 8, 2017 3:29 AM PDT
    VR is not a fan of fast travel, especially if you not at least once visited the place to travel on your own.

This could be a reason for a mount where other players can bring you everywhere without any risk.

But in general I like the idea of mounts/ships/... for multiple people. I would not limit it to 2, but even more. We will see how they will implement mounts.
    • 278 posts
    July 8, 2017 7:02 AM PDT

What about a guild mechanic a Guild ship,wagon to take players to new areas and should make the community grow . As statewagons did excist early on it should be logical for a growing world to have something like it. Not a click travel but a guild event to take gods/people to other places and generate guild xp and maybe even build a guild house in a diffrent place we need to bring stuff there to fix it kind of ?

• 125 posts
    July 8, 2017 7:05 AM PDT

Im really not a fan of this for several reasons...

If VR decides to not put in /follow to try to limit multi-boxing this would be an easy way around it. 

It could potentially also be a way to transport a lower level player through higher content with little or no risk due to the speed buff.

As stated above... it sounds like VR is not a fan of fast travel and they want people to enjoy as much content as possible. Whisking a lower level player through content to reach a different area kinda defeats the purpose then.

If they were to impliment something like this I would hope they would take into consideration the added wieght on the mount and slow down its run speed significantly... a little faster than player run speed but not close to mount speed with 1 rider.

Ships and communal ways of transport are different... Im refering only to an individual's mount.

This post was edited by Aatu at July 8, 2017 7:09 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    July 8, 2017 8:04 AM PDT

Public transportation, whether boats, stagecoaches, gondolas, teleports etc sure.

Personal transportation should be harder to get and limited in capacity - if two people want to ride together they should both get mounts. A two seater, as noted above, can make it too easy to bypass content in unintedned ways. Public transportation at least lets you bypass content in *intended* ways.

• 363 posts
    July 8, 2017 9:38 AM PDT

I can see it now: "Offering 20PP for a safe ride through 'Kick Yer Butt Pass!' I'll be AFK during the ride, so no need for small talk!" 

• 2130 posts
    July 8, 2017 9:40 AM PDT

I'm not sure how mounts allow you to bypass content. Flying mounts maybe, but ground mounts?

Would be easy to make mounts attack lower level players riding and knock them off/kill them. Whether it's worth the trouble is another matter, but it's entirely possible to allow two people to ride a mount without it trivializing anything.

It wouldn't trivialize anything any more than casting a run speed buff on a low level player would.

• 125 posts
    July 8, 2017 10:17 AM PDT

I may be wrong here but mount speeds in the games I have played have been traditionally faster than run buffs... enough to make it easier to traverse more dangerous areas on a mount than with a run buff. 

As I mentioned above it is only logical to slow down the mount speed with 2 riders if they were to put it in the game. If it reduces it to a run speed buff it no longer matters as far as game play imo.

I used to 2 box in EQ and WoW at times... moreso in EQ... just during down times soloing and never in groups/raids or with any type hack to bot them. I would have loved to have mounts that would have allowed 2 riders. It would have cut down on argo a lot even though I used speed buffs.

This post was edited by Aatu at July 8, 2017 10:19 AM PDT
    • 2130 posts
    July 8, 2017 10:26 AM PDT

Bard speed in EQ is still the fastest form of ground transportation in the game to this day. In Vanguard, flying mounts weren't much faster than pre-nerf Bard speed with the best drum in the game.

All of this could be shared with low levels in the group.

I mean, a level 50 Wizard could teleport a level 1 to anywhere in the game world. Mounts seem to be at the bottom of the list in terms of transportation trivialization.

• 125 posts
    July 8, 2017 10:58 AM PDT

It will be interesting to see what VR does in these respects with their focus on players, game content, and emersive game play. 

This post was edited by Aatu at July 8, 2017 11:17 AM PDT
    • 189 posts
    July 8, 2017 3:23 PM PDT

I think by fast travel they mean teleportation of sorts. Just mass teleporting to all the places you want to go. However, it can still be rather dangerous riding around on a mount. And even if you're attempting to ride through a high level zone, mobs should be attacking the rider and the lowbie. More so they attack the lowbie because they are significantly lower in levels compared to them. They should be surrounded by mobs. 

Just because people are talking mounts doesn't mean they will be so fast you can get to one place and another in almost no time at all. Mounts could just be significantly nicer than running. No one's going to want to run forever. Especially after you get higher level. You've kinda done all the long, slow running you'll ever want to do on the same character. And depending how big they make the map, it might be really necessary for them to add mounts. They can make them super fast or only slightly faster than walking. 

I don't see how mounts will help with multi-boxing. The only way it will help is if they are only running 2 clients. I can see how it may help with a group of people trying to get somewhere and someone may need to afk though. Or maybe a father helping a little daughter out (previous post where a father asked about this for his 8-year-old).

Boats would be awesome! I heard some great stuff about Vanguard's boats. Traveling with your guild to an island that's meant for a raid would be SO AMAZING. The only way to get there is by boat as well. 

As long as mounts are not so fast that when mobs see them, grab aggro and lose it almost the same second. Would be cool if some mobs had the ability to root, mez or stun right away. So even if people wanted to do the multiboxing or helping the newbie friend out, they still risk being caught by mobs. Or maybe if they got hit, they instantly got dismounted. Preventing people from just training a whole zone until they reached their destination. Then if they wanted to keep fast traveling, they would have to fight the mob off and kill it or others to be about to remount and continue on their journey. 

This post was edited by fancy at July 8, 2017 3:25 PM PDT
    • 74 posts
    July 8, 2017 3:45 PM PDT

It is interesting to hear the pros and cons from the community. I can understand some resistance to making travel easier for a lower level person, but I can also see how it would help with people who are newer to the genre or the game. Let's see if we can get Kilsin to chime in :D

This post was edited by Prindan at July 8, 2017 3:46 PM PDT
    • 77 posts
    July 10, 2017 1:22 AM PDT

I think it would be cool if multi-person mounts are hard/take a long time to obtain to keep them prestigious and exciting. The devs previously said boats will be in the game and I can't help but fantasise of being on a guild boat fishing or even using a harpoon.