Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Too many currencies can muck up the game.

• 78 posts
    July 7, 2017 4:11 PM PDT

I think what the OP meant is not "Currency" as in EQ's copper, silver, gold and plat (which is basically the same thing) I'm guessing he meant things like that facebook game-design trend where there's currency for item-shops and currency for in-game items and currency to buy PvP-only Gear which you get by doing battlegrounds and currency you collect if you do daily quests to collect special gear... and so forth. That kind of stupid game design needs to die and I doubt VR is going to do something like it. It destroyed immersion, increase bag micro-management, makes the game feel "gamish", cheap and tedious.

• 33 posts
    July 7, 2017 4:27 PM PDT

Yes, that kind of thing forces people to take part in all of the aspects of the game when they may only be interested in a few. For example, if I'm an adventurer and don't like PvP, but I see an item you can only buy using "widgets" you can only get by doing PvP, it leaves me with "oh well, guess I'll never have that!" And that kills a little bit of the joy of the game.

• 338 posts
    July 8, 2017 5:27 AM PDT

Laura said:

I think what the OP meant is not "Currency" as in EQ's copper, silver, gold and plat (which is basically the same thing) I'm guessing he meant things like that facebook game-design trend where there's currency for item-shops and currency for in-game items and currency to buy PvP-only Gear which you get by doing battlegrounds and currency you collect if you do daily quests to collect special gear... and so forth. That kind of stupid game design needs to die and I doubt VR is going to do something like it. It destroyed immersion, increase bag micro-management, makes the game feel "gamish", cheap and tedious.

Absolutely spot on, thanks for this post...

Kiz~

• 801 posts
    July 8, 2017 7:17 AM PDT

I completely agree, i never liked it either in EQ.

You are constantly grinding and grinding to fill your coffers with different types of trading currency.

I believe Power Sources come to mind?

• 2130 posts
    July 8, 2017 9:43 AM PDT

Odds are we'll be grinding for currency anyway as long as currency exists in the game. What form it comes in is irrelevant.