Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Earned Heroic Class

• 154 posts
    May 12, 2017 3:37 PM PDT

To those of you here who know me this post probably does not come as a surprise. Anyway, ever since I've played Star Wars Galaxies, I've been hoping a game would have a heroic or epic class that would be earned. While WoW, hiss....crosses self....has something like it, their heroic classes are attained by simply being a specific LvL. I wonder if anyone here, would be interested if in addition to the usual gear people strive for in these games, if a reward like a heroic class would be of interest? I'm not saying such a class would need to be as tough as the original Jedi were in Galaxies. Anyway, for those of you who're willing to consider the idea, what would you think such a class sould be like? If anyone cares to reply please consider that while such a class should be tougher than normal it shouldn't be too over the top. From what I understand of the Devs intent for Pantheon I do not think a too over the top heroic class would work. Though maybe one with a bit of bite would so, I'm interstested for sake of giggles and grins what people would like such a class to be like.

Oh, for this is something many of the players from the early days of EQ would like, especially those who want difficulty. The orginal Jedi in Galaxies were very very tough. It took roughly on average about a yr and a half to become one and most people failed to attain it. Anyway, as rediculously powerful, an understatement, they were Jedi did have a ballence. If a Jedi over used their powers and there was no meter for this....Darth Vader would appear and kill the character on the spot...permadeath. The player would have to try to start all over. While to some this may seem harsh.... consider that with the power those characters had; something was needed to ballence them.

• 633 posts
    May 12, 2017 6:43 PM PDT

So we know at least 1 class gets a "stance" or "form" or whatever it is called.  Assumably others, or possibly all, will as well.  What if there was a stance that could only be earned for each class?

• 73 posts
    May 12, 2017 9:32 PM PDT
    Easy, it would be a War Wizard. There could be a handful allowed on each server handed out to the exemplars of certain skills or quests. I'm ok with it as long as it is basically a celebrity player who doesn't break the game.
    • 119 posts
    May 13, 2017 12:22 AM PDT

while the idea was good, i didn't work well with SWG... in the end the biggest problem SWG had, was that everyone wanted to be a jedi. and then there's the balancing problem... are we going to see "uberclass only" content? or are we going to accept that much of the content is trivialized if you have enough uberclasses in your group/raid?

i liked the AA system in EQ for giving players something to work on after reaching maximum level. it gave you (small) rewards for still playing the character, mostly without being superimportant.

• 46 posts
    May 13, 2017 1:15 AM PDT

An interesting article on why the Jedi failed in SWG.  Poignant too... Something to remember also next time anyone wants to complain about Pantheon's "slow" development schedule.

https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/16/a-jedi-saga/

• 318 posts
    May 13, 2017 6:53 AM PDT
    Maybe the planned prestige system will fill this request.
    • 3852 posts
    May 13, 2017 7:05 AM PDT

Interesting idea but I suspect letsdance has the right response.

• 1404 posts
    May 13, 2017 7:52 AM PDT

The Progeny system maybe?