Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Bring this back too!

• 513 posts
    May 11, 2017 10:01 PM PDT

I recall one of my favorite things to do in EQ wasn't always killin stuff or making stuff or reading all of the lore (maybe not ALL of the lore, but a LOT of it), was just sitting back and enjoying a cold one in the tavern in Highpass that looked out over the waterfall/pond...  I think it was The Tiger's Roar?

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/scenery/highpasshold-tigersroar.jpg

Man I hope I see this again.  Just some place to sit back and relax, maybe play a few gambling game with friends, /roleplay a beer in my hand while having a beer in my hand...

• 470 posts
    May 11, 2017 10:10 PM PDT

Atmosphere is very important in a game like this. Even in the parts where there's no combat. Be great if Inns had some additional purpose to them like some mini games (cards, fights, drunken brawls and the sort).

• 1468 posts
    May 11, 2017 10:45 PM PDT

Please let us actually sit in chairs when we are relaxing in a pub or an inn :).

I love the idea of just going to a meeting area to talk to people in-game. Maybe there should be places in all the major cities and towns where there is some advantage to just sitting and chilling out. That way the community will get to know each other better and it will build a better atmosphere on each server as people recognise each other.

• 40 posts
    May 11, 2017 11:29 PM PDT

Cromulent said:

Please let us actually sit in chairs when we are relaxing in a pub or an inn :).

Havent seen this done properly since SWG. Loved the cantina atmosphere, everyone sitting in seats, just relaxing and enjoying the banter. I have longed for that again in MMO's ever since.

SWG so far ahead of it's time how I mourn your loss :(

• 16 posts
    May 12, 2017 2:06 AM PDT

Ooh. Such a little thing yet so (somehow) significant (at least to me!). I love it when the environment is not only there but can also be interacted, doors open/close etc. especially chairs that I can ploink my character to sit on. How many a time I've spent my afk moments seated in a chair in a tavern of an mmo just because I can. And just sit there because the hearthfire was so pretty! And the furniture etc. etc.

I don't know about you but I think well made games are like paintings or art galleries or exhibitions. It all must be admired for its full value! There isn't a detail too small that couldn't make me happy when I happen to spot it and it's awesome when ever this happens.

Vanguard had a beautiful, beautiful environment, the zones were wonderful to just wander in aimlessly (At least up until some random aggro mob came and tried to eat my character's face X).). I found that sightseeing just as relaxing and fun as camping and killing stuff with my friends :D. And there was so much to see. What I especially pine after in that game are the flying mounts, they gave a new viewpoint to the already lovely environment. I mean, omg, who wouldn't want to fly a griffin?! Will there be such a thing as flying mounts in Pantheon? Or any kinds of mounts? I don't know if there are threads about them yet, if so then please someone send me in the right direction :D.

The only thing I didn't like about Vanguard was that some of the heavy armor looked unrealistically clunky. (For me) the character models left a lot to hope for in the first place but sometimes I found my lovely heavy armor bearing lady wearing leg plates that wouldn't let any person walk or run in any realistic manner. The plate parts kept clipping within eachother on the thighs even when standing, I found that somewhat lessening my spectating experience X)-.

Anyhow! I think the nature / buildings / ruins <3 / environments in the Pantheon already look great. If we'd get chairs to sit on and stuff to admire I for one will be a very happy person :D. Keep up the good work VR people!

This post was edited by Wolftar at May 12, 2017 2:09 AM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    May 12, 2017 5:50 AM PDT

Wolftar said:

The only thing I didn't like about Vanguard was that some of the heavy armor looked unrealistically clunky. (For me) the character models left a lot to hope for in the first place but sometimes I found my lovely heavy armor bearing lady wearing leg plates that wouldn't let any person walk or run in any realistic manner. The plate parts kept clipping within eachother on the thighs even when standing, I found that somewhat lessening my spectating experience X)-.

Just like the oversized shoulderpads in WoW?

This post was edited by bigdogchris at May 12, 2017 5:50 AM PDT
    • 24 posts
    May 12, 2017 6:07 AM PDT

A place to sit and chat with people sounds like a good idea.

Maybe when you sit at a table or are invited to a table you join a table group were you can chat with all in that group without leaving your fighting group.

Their could be background music for people to listen to per table group.

When you leave the table or tavern you automatically leave the table group.

Could be a tavern group as well.

• 1584 posts
    May 12, 2017 6:41 AM PDT

One cool thing they might be able to do it that is where you can trigger your LFG messages at, or maybe like a bill board there to say you are LFG, or both, and it can be a place to where you see 10 people in there and you can configure a group since you know more than likely they might be LFG or just chillin either way it could be a nice place to meet up at and talk or get a group going= Social Interaction at its finest.

• 9 posts
    May 12, 2017 7:06 AM PDT

I always wanted this for guild halls, yea i know housing isn't in the game right now, but it was something I remember looking forward to even when EQ started thier guild halls/housing.  I just wanted a big long table and maybe even some chairs around the room for everyone to sit in and hold an actual guild meeting.  Now I know im my old guilds that probably would have only happened one time before everyone would have agreed it was a waste of time, but that one time would have been awesome. 

• 35 posts
    May 12, 2017 7:37 AM PDT

Let's be honest, Highpass Hold/Keep was an amazing zone.  Separated the ease and relaxation of the Karanas with the danger of Kithicor.  Highpass had the same feel, parts in the middle that were relaxing, but a more complex maze like run through a mountain pass with danger around the corners.  It had such a unique feel that not only I hope, but am confident the VR team will create equally complementary and amazing areas.

I competely agree that MMOs that adopt and invest in little things like lounging around in bars gives it that little extra oompf that immerses players.  It would be a cool way for people who are lfg to be found by groups instead of sitting at zone entrances (although the later is more efficient for the players).  But how cool would it be for the community to adopt a gaming experience where the lfgs were in a bar, and a group short on a healer, or CC would walk into a bar looking for a player that could fill that role. 

Mercenary for hire, if you pay my tab.

• 13 posts
    May 12, 2017 8:14 AM PDT

This seems like the perfect kind of thing that you could tie in with the perception system, maybe you get a passive buff to certain types of perception by spending time in pubs, maybe you get quests by overhearing patrons talk, etc etc. Seems like there could be a lot of good ways to make use of it.  I imagine things like a normal seeming pub in a lower level area that you could uncover some sort of plot between the patrons or owner if you come back once you have a high level of perception.

• 2752 posts
    May 12, 2017 10:44 AM PDT

I absolutely loved Highpass/Highhold Keep. I really hope they can capture that magic with a city in this game...really I hope they have some hidden away city in a mountain pass or swamp or something that isn't a starting city or attached to any main racial faction. 

Is Highbrace still a thing? Because this looks awesome.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/images/concept_highbrace_sm.jpg

This post was edited by Iksar at May 12, 2017 2:39 PM PDT
    • 417 posts
    May 12, 2017 3:42 PM PDT

I too really like the idea of pubs and other places to hang out. And it would be great if you could actually sit in the chairs. Or even lay down in beds that you com across? Being able to interact with items like that brings a lot of immersion.

• 1281 posts
    May 12, 2017 4:51 PM PDT

Iksar said:

I absolutely loved Highpass/Highhold Keep. I really hope they can capture that magic with a city in this game...really I hope they have some hidden away city in a mountain pass or swamp or something that isn't a starting city or attached to any main racial faction. 

Almost certain it is not. HB was a concept from the previous incarnation of Pantheon that was scrapped. I don't think they brought over much lore because Tony left.

• 2752 posts
    May 12, 2017 4:52 PM PDT

Well...bring this back too! haha

• 16 posts
    May 13, 2017 12:36 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:
    Just like the oversized shoulderpads in WoW?

Oh yes. Ugh. Or weapons about twice the size of the wielder like in some games X). I never played WoW myself but I've seen plenty of screenshots / vids about it. Cartoony style works sometimes (Wildstar came so close, so close) but it's just not for me when it comes to mmos.

I would very much like to see spears/polearms in Pantheon and if the concept art tells us anything it'll likely happen. That'd be great as long as no one's wielding a flagpole or the like :D. Flagpole would have too op range and likely aoe capabilities compared to other melee weapons ;).

This post was edited by Wolftar at May 13, 2017 12:38 AM PDT
    • 513 posts
    May 14, 2017 8:13 PM PDT

How about other city buildings?  I for one think it would be kinda cool to be able to buy an NPC run business.  Say I finally get enough coin to buy a...  Tattoo parlor.  I get a percentage of the player run portion of the local econmy regarding this business and say it generates a certain percentage gained from other NPCs (which we don't actually see).  Every now and then you lose a little coin etc.  I could think of a lot of businesses that we could see...

• 137 posts
    May 15, 2017 10:46 AM PDT
    +1 bring it back! A place to relax...also a place where multitudes of buffing will occur
    • 2886 posts
    May 15, 2017 11:25 AM PDT

Nephretiti said:

How about other city buildings?  I for one think it would be kinda cool to be able to buy an NPC run business.  Say I finally get enough coin to buy a...  Tattoo parlor.  I get a percentage of the player run portion of the local econmy regarding this business and say it generates a certain percentage gained from other NPCs (which we don't actually see).  Every now and then you lose a little coin etc.  I could think of a lot of businesses that we could see...

In another thread, I suggested adopting a system similar to that in Skyrim, which allows you to monetarily invest in certain NPC-run shops. You would potentially lose or gain money, based on how good business is for them. Kinda like a stock market. In an MMO, I think it would be cool if it was at least partly determined by how many player characters actually bought/sold at that location. You don't have to actually run the business or anything like that, but studying the patterns would help you make wiser investment decisions. If done well, I think that could be fun and add some more depth to the economy.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at May 15, 2017 11:33 AM PDT
    • 3237 posts
    May 15, 2017 12:22 PM PDT
    That sounds awesome to me. I love anything / everything that can make the economy game more detailed or fun. The majority of buying/selling should occur between players but NPC's can still offer certain crafting components (base level fuel, twine, rivets, cloth, etc) and perhaps starter food/drink or other consumables.

Tattoo shops, barber shops, wedding halls, innes (hopefully rest will make a difference of some sort), taverns, restaurants, etc could also be player owned and NPC operated. I love the idea of stock trading ... it could add a new layer of risk and reward to the economy but it sounds like it could end up being a pretty complex system.
    • 174 posts
    May 15, 2017 12:34 PM PDT

Iksar said:

It's still in game

This post was edited by Chimerical at May 15, 2017 12:36 PM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    May 15, 2017 1:57 PM PDT

oneADseven said: That sounds awesome to me. I love anything / everything that can make the economy game more detailed or fun. The majority of buying/selling should occur between players but NPC's can still offer certain crafting components (base level fuel, twine, rivets, cloth, etc) and perhaps starter food/drink or other consumables. Tattoo shops, barber shops, wedding halls, innes (hopefully rest will make a difference of some sort), taverns, restaurants, etc could also be player owned and NPC operated. I love the idea of stock trading ... it could add a new layer of risk and reward to the economy but it sounds like it could end up being a pretty complex system.

Yeah, that's why I think it would fit well with the goals of the rest of the features - it makes the world feel more alive and it is very much based in risk vs. reward. As a basic example, I imagine a shop in a home city that is known to be very profitable will probably give you a relatively low % dividends because it is a fairly safe investment. But on the other hand, a merchant in a smaller village off the beaten path that doesn't usually get many customers may pay you exponential dividends if it happens to get busy at the right time. It could be really exciting to check back later and see how the business is doing. Ideally, you would have enough information beforehand to make a wise decision, but there'd still be some sheer risk involved. You may even have to take into consideration the type of goods being sold - is a it a general vendor or a more specialized shop like a jeweler, blacksmith, or tavern. I imagine some people that really study the patterns could become quite wealthy from doing that a lot.

Of course there would have to be ways to prevent abuse. But even though I haven't seen a full system like this in an MMO, I believe that it is possible for it to be done well. However, I am no economist, so I can't really speak to all the intricacies of it.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at May 15, 2017 1:59 PM PDT
    • 3237 posts
    May 15, 2017 2:08 PM PDT

I like the idea of shifting market trends.  I would like to see certain items only become available under specific circumstances ... IE X amount of players complete a quest ridding the local farm of pests which allows a nice pumpkin harvest.  Merchants could then sell pumpkin pie, ale, etc until the next harvest where the same requirements would have to be met.

As far as stock trading goes, it definitely souds like a complex system but it could be a ton of fun if implemented right.  I can see players scurrying to purchase a new stock when it becomes available, or unloading large shares of something during certain market conditions.  A new underwater zone is added?  Those with investments in water breathing apparatus or consumables stand to net a decent profit.  A new undead zone?  You may want to invest in the nearby chapel that offers a purging service for gear/players.  Players would also benefit from being able to sell blunt weapons (for skeletons) or "bane enchantments" for weapons or gear.  Players would likely benefit from playing on the test server to get a headsup on any future content and having an understanding of how it might affect certain market trends.

This post was edited by oneADseven at May 15, 2017 2:10 PM PDT
    • 1468 posts
    May 15, 2017 4:09 PM PDT

oneADseven said:

I like the idea of shifting market trends.  I would like to see certain items only become available under specific circumstances ... IE X amount of players complete a quest ridding the local farm of pests which allows a nice pumpkin harvest.  Merchants could then sell pumpkin pie, ale, etc until the next harvest where the same requirements would have to be met.

As far as stock trading goes, it definitely souds like a complex system but it could be a ton of fun if implemented right.  I can see players scurrying to purchase a new stock when it becomes available, or unloading large shares of something during certain market conditions.  A new underwater zone is added?  Those with investments in water breathing apparatus or consumables stand to net a decent profit.  A new undead zone?  You may want to invest in the nearby chapel that offers a purging service for gear/players.  Players would also benefit from being able to sell blunt weapons (for skeletons) or "bane enchantments" for weapons or gear.  Players would likely benefit from playing on the test server to get a headsup on any future content and having an understanding of how it might affect certain market trends.

I'd like to see an economy like EVE Online. That had the best player driven economy of any MMO I have played. I'm not sure if it would work in Pantheon though. The thing that made EVE Online feel unique was that players were always needing to replace lost ships and items that they had lost in PvP or some other way. If Pantheon allowed player items to be destroyed then the same sort of system could be done in Pantheon.

I'd be all over the stock market if that was something Pantheon especially if you could do analysis on the stocks themselves to see if they were worth buying or not.

• 513 posts
    May 15, 2017 7:29 PM PDT

Man!  All I wanted was a cute little Myr girl tattooing folks for fun and profit!