Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Anti Hacks?

This topic has been closed.
    • 10 posts
    May 9, 2017 12:33 PM PDT

I searched forums but didnt find much of anyting on this subject. Everquest eventually seemed to be riddled with people useing show eq and macro quest stuff, warping, and other stuff.  Everquest unless it was blatant hackers barely got suspended/banned. Hacking will be against the rules obviously but will ther be measures put in place to prevent, stop, and catch hackers?

• 1281 posts
    May 9, 2017 12:40 PM PDT

In one of the more recent streams, Brad said that they are working hard on minimizing the amount of data sent between the client and server. That alone will help drastically reduce people who are using MITM attacks. I am sure the data that does need to be sent will be encrypted.

They also said that the UI will be locked from creating macro's or modding to display information they do not want players to see.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at May 9, 2017 12:42 PM PDT
    • 261 posts
    May 9, 2017 12:58 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

They also said that the UI will be locked from creating macro's or modding to display information they do not want players to see.

However they probably can't prevent Keyboard Macro's from being used. Like the Logitech G19 etc, where you can program keys to press 3, pause 2 seconds, press 4 pause 3 seconds etc...

Just like a person doing it manually.

Also remember EQ was one of he first MMO type games out there, so it was unchanrted territory around hacks etc. I am sure they have learnt a few things in that area over the last 18 years.

I don't think showeq was ever considerd a hack by Sony, it just made the game run more smoothly when multi boxing, and is still used today by people because the client is still very old and doesn't like running smoothly in the background.

• 1714 posts
    May 9, 2017 2:21 PM PDT

Boulda said:

I don't think showeq was ever considerd a hack by Sony, it just made the game run more smoothly when multi boxing, and is still used today by people because the client is still very old and doesn't like running smoothly in the background.

You're not thinking of showEQ. ShowEQ showed you where everything was in a zone, even moving mobs, in real time, and what loot every single NPC had. 

• 2886 posts
    May 9, 2017 2:36 PM PDT

Your question is in the FAQ almost word-for-word:

10.3 Some MMOs have been notorious for sending way too much information to the client. How does the development team plan on combating past programs like ShowEQ and MacroQuest?

"We are keenly aware of this issue. With Pantheon, we’ve been building the client's architecture from day one to be as dumb as possible and only sending the bare minimum of information."

EQ was rudimentary technology. They have learned a lot over the past two decades about how to deal with hackers. I'm not at all concerned about it in Pantheon.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at May 9, 2017 2:38 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    May 9, 2017 3:43 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Your question is in the FAQ almost word-for-word:

10.3 Some MMOs have been notorious for sending way too much information to the client. How does the development team plan on combating past programs like ShowEQ and MacroQuest?

"We are keenly aware of this issue. With Pantheon, we’ve been building the client's architecture from day one to be as dumb as possible and only sending the bare minimum of information."

EQ was rudimentary technology. They have learned a lot over the past two decades about how to deal with hackers. I'm not at all concerned about it in Pantheon.

Thank you! :)