Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What has been shown is anyone not excited?

• 1 posts
    May 3, 2017 4:18 PM PDT

Hello.

I played Everquest so much back in the day, I lost girlfriends over it.   That is how much I loved playing the game.  

Watching the two latest videos, I am left to thinking... am I watching the development team playing Everquest with 2016 graphics, lore and new world?  I watched a monk try and split pull, I watched a tank gain agro, watched a wizard nuke and die and some filler nice to have classes do their thing.  I felt it was no different than the slow Everquest combat.  I played EQ back in my early 20s, I am now into my 40s.  Maybe I am old and not hip anymore.  Honest truth I fast forwarded must of the video I was bored.

I get its Beta, I pledged towards the game.  I cant vision the youth of today with their Clash of Clans and Battle Royal, having the patience to split-pull. I played EQ for 5+ years I dont think I have the patience to split pull. 

The combat/classes seem to be a direct copy of EQ.  

Dont get me wrong I will be first in line to play this game!  

Helekil

• 1584 posts
    May 3, 2017 4:38 PM PDT

We're still in pre pre alpha and to a point yes its going to be a traditional game with some modern mechanics in it, so split pulling/CC/and a lot of things that made EQ/VG great is coming back with a few exceptions obviously.  So im sure the slow killing/ careful pulling and all that will stay in space.

• 279 posts
    May 3, 2017 4:40 PM PDT

You could say the same thing about Pen and Paper. Yet 5th edition has been the most commercially viable of any edition.

I think (hope) you underestimate people's desire for challenge.

• 839 posts
    May 3, 2017 4:48 PM PDT
    I don't have fun watching people play games, I love EQ I am still playing p99 when time permits, I wouldn't watch people play it though, for me it is very much not a watching game it is a playing game.
    If I was going to add anything to yesterday's zone which may spice things up it would be larger agro range on mobs and more wandering mobs to cause chaos. I am looking forward to them introducing more mobs into play that are various classes. Taking on a few spawns with healers and enchanters in the mix will mate life a lot more difficult. I am loving the difficulty of the individual mobs though!

Side note, while I am not a fan of watching games being played I am loving watching Pantheon for the awesome updates and seeing the group mechanics unfold further each time!
    • 1584 posts
    May 3, 2017 5:00 PM PDT

Sunmistress said:

You could say the same thing about Pen and Paper. Yet 5th edition has been the most commercially viable of any edition.

Didn't say it wasn't going to be not challenging and he didn't mention anything about the challenge of the fight he was asking if split pulling was going to be something to look forward to in the game and i said yes becuase taking on 2 targets would be very challenging :)

• 12 posts
    May 3, 2017 5:02 PM PDT

Helekil said:

Hello.

I played Everquest so much back in the day, I lost girlfriends over it.   That is how much I loved playing the game.  

Watching the two latest videos, I am left to thinking... am I watching the development team playing Everquest with 2016 graphics, lore and new world?  I watched a monk try and split pull, I watched a tank gain agro, watched a wizard nuke and die and some filler nice to have classes do their thing.  I felt it was no different than the slow Everquest combat.  I played EQ back in my early 20s, I am now into my 40s.  Maybe I am old and not hip anymore.  Honest truth I fast forwarded must of the video I was bored.

I get its Beta, I pledged towards the game.  I cant vision the youth of today with their Clash of Clans and Battle Royal, having the patience to split-pull. I played EQ for 5+ years I dont think I have the patience to split pull. 

Helekil

If you watch everything instead of fast forwarding the content.  Go back to the very beginning of all videos and watch them all over again, you will find out that there is so much that they are bringing to the table. Yes, EQ mindset but man, the things they are going to do.  This is going to tower over EQ1.  I am an old EQ player and i welcome everything they are doing, this is going to be a great game.

Keep the faith buddy.

• 200 posts
    May 3, 2017 5:09 PM PDT

I am actually excited by seeing a comeback of the old flow of combat. I've really missed it for a long time now. From what I've understood they want to spice up combat some more, and I rather play than watch as well, it's much more exciting once it's your group I'd say from my experience. Besides that I'm curious about the other things that'll be in the game like perception. So yeah, I'm happy with what I've seen thus far :).

• 668 posts
    May 3, 2017 5:10 PM PDT

They are not designing this game for the unappreciative mass of young players that prefer everything "Twitch" style...  There is a need identified for players that prefer and desire strategic style MMO games that you can't rush through And one that takes friends or a mature social system to progress easier.

I think there is enough of us out there that will support Pantheon for many years.  I just hope it is enough for them to keep the game growing and evolving the way they ultimately want it.  

I am excited as hell to see the style of gameplay that has been displayed over the last two streams.

• 2 posts
    May 3, 2017 5:11 PM PDT

Sounds like you've changed as a gamer in your preference and that's not a bad thing.  I played in the Beta for EQ and was part of the ICQ chats with Brad and Smedley back in 97 - 99 while they developed the game.  I loved and hated EQ all at the same time and was excited for WOW and the new games because I couldn't devote time to grouping.  Now that we're on the other side of the amusement park MMO's, I'm looking forward to some older style, strategic fighting.  I mainly only play MMO's and have 1 or 2 going at any one time, currently playing ESO and DAOC.  

I'm so bored with the current MMO's out there, they're all just too easy.  I can't believe I'm saying it, because I used to complain about how difficult EQ was.  This time I'm ready for a challenge,  I want there to be some meaning to what I'm doing.  I don't mind hanging out in ONE city and using it has a home base for months.  I don't want to burn through content/quests just to race to the end so that I chase the gear treadmill.  I'm looking for an experience where, levels don't matter, but the content and the people your're playing with do.  MMO's should be a community of players that join together with mutual respect and play as a group/community to conquer content.  It shouldn't be a competition that fosters bad behavior and attitudes towards your mutual player.  I'm really looking forward to knowing the people on my server and building those communities.  I really feel like that is what this game has in store for us and I'm ready to jump in. 

• 73 posts
    May 3, 2017 5:25 PM PDT

Pyye said:

They are not designing this game for the unappreciative mass of young players that prefer everything "Twitch" style...  There is a need identified for players that prefer and desire strategic style MMO games that you can't rush through And one that takes friends or a mature social system to progress easier.

I think there is enough of us out there that will support Pantheon for many years.  I just hope it is enough for them to keep the game growing and evolving the way they ultimately want it.  

I am excited as hell to see the style of gameplay that has been displayed over the last two streams.

Pretty much all of this.

• 279 posts
    May 3, 2017 5:36 PM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Sunmistress said:

Didn't say it wasn't going to be not challenging and he didn't mention anything about the challenge of the fight he was asking if split pulling was going to be something to look forward to in the game and i said yes becuase taking on 2 targets would be very challenging :)

I was replying to his "kids these days aren't going to have the patience to split pull" Comment

• 74 posts
    May 3, 2017 5:48 PM PDT

I hope the combat develops a little more over time. I didn't see a whole lot of reacting and decision making after a successful pull. After a successful pull the NPC was predictable.

• 1281 posts
    May 3, 2017 6:08 PM PDT

It’s really hard to talk about things you don’t like because the game is very early. Almost everything will change. With that, I can see some things that so far, I’m not excited about:

• Many of the race/class combos – I posted my own which are more conservative
    • Enabling/disabling infusions – Should just be always on or worn equipment
    • Keeper system – Impossible to flesh this out enough to not feel tacked on
    • 1584 posts
    May 3, 2017 6:18 PM PDT

Sunmistress said:

Riahuf22 said:

Sunmistress said:

I was replying to his "kids these days aren't going to have the patience to split pull" Comment

My bad, didn't know and single pulling seems easy if done right so i jumped the gun a little bit on that one and for that i apologize

• 1584 posts
    May 3, 2017 6:22 PM PDT

ghost7 said:

I hope the combat develops a little more over time. I didn't see a whole lot of reacting and decision making after a successful pull. After a successful pull the NPC was predictable.

Devs have alrdy said that the npc's will be doing all kinds of thing like knockback/downs, stuns, roots, mezzes, and all kinds of things we will have to watch out for, granted i could see most of this being tested in the alpha/beta stages and such so they can get it right, but they are also implementing like range fighter to stay range and using cover, smart healing, and such to make the game challenging so the simple tank n spank we are seeing now won't be the case when game launches this was even mentioned by the devs and they made sure we knew that this won't be a tank n spank game

• 134 posts
    May 3, 2017 6:35 PM PDT

I honestly can't wait for this type of gameplay in a modern game.

• 63 posts
    May 3, 2017 6:49 PM PDT

Can't say I ever lost a woman over an MMO Helekil, but at least they can't say you're afraid of commitment! 

• 160 posts
    May 3, 2017 7:00 PM PDT

Helekil said:

I can't tell you how many times my girlfriend would stagger out of bed at 3AM, FURIOUS at me for getting up to play Everquest.  I was young enough not to understand that she had just bartered for an entire night's worth of my companionship.  LOL

God, I was a jerk....but hey, them xp bars weren't going to fill themselves!!!

• 109 posts
    May 3, 2017 11:15 PM PDT

I am excited. Started EQ1 at age 19. Have tried most MMO's out there. I am love with Pantheon so far. 

This last stream was so good and so informative. I am going to give Pantheon more money.

This game looks fantastic to me. 

• 67 posts
    May 3, 2017 11:38 PM PDT

If I want to play a new style game, than I choose an already existing game on the current market.

But I prefer to wait for Pantheon. It is exactly the „old style“ I am excited for.

• 238 posts
    May 3, 2017 11:46 PM PDT

Helekil said:

Hello.

Helekil

Its funny that the OP said basically I saw some and skipped a bunch and I’m worried. The problem is you missed the entire part in which they talk about your very same question. They basically ask the question “is this it for combat” and they said “no, we have a huge amount to still add”. Watching the streams for me is about 30% seeing the game and 70% hearing what new information they add.

I would say watch from here (https://youtu.be/uia9jADhav8?t=813 [at 13:30] ), and don’t focus so much on what you see as what they talk about. If you fast forward a bit to the cast area they also talk a little about how they will change up NPC casters.

Beyond all of what they said I personally think that this kind of combat is not for everyone. I really like what they already have, not because it’s new age or anything but because it fits with how I like to play mmos and because it’s very hard to find any of it anymore even in EQ these days.  I totally get that combat could be much, much more engaging but there are already hundreds of fast past, double tap to dodge type of mmos and that’s find but I personally want what Pantheon is doing.

This post was edited by Xonth at May 3, 2017 11:48 PM PDT
    • 523 posts
    May 4, 2017 12:15 AM PDT

Well, I've watched all the streams, several times over, and it's not boring to me.  In my immediate family group, I'm the only one that played EQ at launch.  My wife, kids, brother in law, etc... all grew up on WoW.  I've got all of them watching this game now, and while they're pretty much dumbfounded by feign death pulling and the longer fights, I'm working hard on selling them why this type of game play is superior to the last decade of MMOs.  They're willing to give it a try.  They are all pretty hardcore MMO players, so it will be very telling if they can get into this older style of game.  So far, they're excited and planning out their classes.  As for me, I used to be very hardcore, probably can't do that at this point, but it doesn't diminish how excited I am to play this type of game again.  And now that I know the grass isn't greener on the other side with modern MMOs, I'm planning on sticking with this game for the long haul and slowly improving week by week over the years. 

• 5 posts
    May 4, 2017 12:42 AM PDT

I think it's safe to assume we will see more dynamic combat akin to EQ. I currently play on an emulated classic EQ server and the combat in that period of EQ is still light years ahead of modern MMO's. That with some quality of life improvements is the ideal (and of course any new tidbit they come up with). I do feel what makes EQ combat so dynamic is the unpredictablility of the players own abilities and spells. Root, Charm and Mez breaks for example create those dynamic moments. Combat currently does look a bit sedate though even compared to classic EQ.

It's probably important to keep expectations realistic as well. There were a couple of things mentioned in the stream that MMO dev's have talked about being in their games during developent for years that we never see. Things like mob migration etc.

• 37 posts
    May 4, 2017 1:34 AM PDT

Been looking at the streams together with my wife and she is almost more exited then me because there finaly are a game coming  that goes back to the roots with clear defined roles in the group , and fights that takes time,i used a year back when i started playing EQ to convince her to try it and when she finaly did she loved it.

then EQ2 became a thing and we went over there,then WOW and from there we tried LOTS of MMO's but never got the thing we wanted realy as EQ was the benchmark :)

MMO's today is becoming more about how fast you can get to the end and less about who you are together with, and with todays group mecanics you dont even need to talk with the people in the group.

i dont mind some changes to make fighting more interresting BUT i dont want a system that makes it impossible/impractible to interract with your group and get to actualy know the ones you spend time with.

• 19 posts
    May 4, 2017 2:33 AM PDT

Helekil said:

Hello.

Helekil

/blockquote]

There are plenty of hardcore youngsters looking for pure challenge.

While the bulk of Multiplayer and MMO's are fluff with eye candy. There are some very challenging games out there as well. there is definitely a market for challenging games with a learning curve.

This post was edited by Tervvo at May 4, 2017 2:36 AM PDT