Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

About Zoning

• 1584 posts
    May 3, 2017 3:48 PM PDT

The only thing I hope when it comes to zoning into a zone is that we zone in like 20 feet away from the zone line especially in the zones where there are tunnels are its easy to get turned around, i would wish we would zone out of the tunnels, for one it would possible prevent us from walking stright into a train on accident of course and as well prevent us from getting turned around and zoning back into where we just came from, granted this is a minor thing and basically is just a inconventience and such but if we could do this that would be great so we can know we are going in the right direction at least from zoning back into the same zone we just came from.

• 155 posts
    May 3, 2017 4:01 PM PDT

Im pretty sure whenever we will get to zone we will be facing the opposite cardinal way from the zoneline at least I hope.

• 1584 posts
    May 3, 2017 4:05 PM PDT

Rendall said:

Im pretty sure whenever we will get to zone we will be facing the opposite cardinal way from the zoneline at least I hope.

was more of less talking about the tight tunnel with tight corners that people usually get turned around in EQ1, like i said it doesn't mean much but if we could just get placed outside the tunnels and everythin that would be great if not than it is what it is.

• 1281 posts
    May 4, 2017 10:38 AM PDT

I think if the invisible wall for zoning out is 10 meters ahead of the invisible wall from zoning in, the problem would be solved. Training mobs would never reach the zone in point.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at May 4, 2017 10:38 AM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    May 4, 2017 10:42 AM PDT

The further you are from the zone line when zoning in, the more likely you are to be slain by a train. I'd like to keep it at just a couple backsteps away from zoning out in the event I need to "nope" my way out of there. 

• 793 posts
    May 4, 2017 11:52 AM PDT

Just make it so when you zone in, the zone wall is translucent blue for the first 15-20 seconds. :)

Or make all zone walls be objects just as doorways, waterfalls, hanging vines, fog, etc.

This post was edited by Fulton at May 4, 2017 11:53 AM PDT
    • 1618 posts
    May 4, 2017 1:44 PM PDT

I hate zoning turned around, so when you zone in and walk forward, you zone back to the previous zone.

So annoying.

• 3852 posts
    May 5, 2017 8:25 AM PDT

I agree with Beefcake emphatically.

Trains should not exist at all - on a pve server players should not be able to deliberately use mobs to kill or grief other players. There are easy ways used in other games to prevent a player from dragging mobs to other players and having the mobs then attack the latter (assuming the players are not grouped).

Since they will exist (I am not exactly in the majority on this point) they should at least be prevented from getting too close to zone-in points. We should not have to worry about seeing the "you have died" screen before even finishing zoning in.

• 201 posts
    May 5, 2017 8:33 AM PDT

I have always wanted some kind of short term immunity when zoning in.  I don't mind trains at all, but I do despise dying before you even zone in.  I don't think having an immunity from attack or aggro that lasts EITHER the shorter of 5-10 second OR until you move upon zoning in is a bad idea.

This post was edited by antonius at May 5, 2017 8:33 AM PDT
    • 1584 posts
    May 5, 2017 2:05 PM PDT

dorotea said:

I agree with Beefcake emphatically.

Trains should not exist at all - on a pve server players should not be able to deliberately use mobs to kill or grief other players. There are easy ways used in other games to prevent a player from dragging mobs to other players and having the mobs then attack the latter (assuming the players are not grouped).

Since they will exist (I am not exactly in the majority on this point) they should at least be prevented from getting too close to zone-in points. We should not have to worry about seeing the "you have died" screen before even finishing zoning in.

Well i wasn't meaning the getting trained thing as a greiving point but something that happens from time to time.  Does it suck, yes it does, but if you make it to where the mobs wont venture to close to the zoneline than people will exploit it and kill targets next to the zone line with ease simply becuase they cant get there.

• 844 posts
    May 5, 2017 2:10 PM PDT

Having zones lines is always a disappointment. Hopefully they are not too much of an issue for Pantheon, whether it be griefing, aggro-wipe exploits and so forth.

• 53 posts
    May 5, 2017 2:22 PM PDT

20.0 Will you be dividing the world into zones or will it be entirely open?

Pantheon is a zone-based game as opposed to having a truly seamless world, although this could change as technology and tools evolve, either before or after launch. Regardless, however, our current technology and tools allow us to create truly vast, rich, and detailed zones. Players will not be running frequently into zone borders. Our larger zones also allow us to create long vistas and views, and in almost all cases, if you can see a location you can travel there.

Hopefully we won't have to worry about zoning and zone lines if the zones are big enough or if they eventually change to more of an "open world" system. I really dislike zonelines and invisible walls. 

This post was edited by Hateborn at May 5, 2017 2:23 PM PDT
    • 1095 posts
    May 5, 2017 2:24 PM PDT

The element of danger is what makes exploration fun, if exploration was safe all the time it would not be quite as exciting. I personally don't want to play a game where there is no element of danger.

• 1281 posts
    May 5, 2017 3:05 PM PDT

Zeem said:

The element of danger is what makes exploration fun, if exploration was safe all the time it would not be quite as exciting. I personally don't want to play a game where there is no element of danger.

Of course, but danger that you can chose to avoid. Since I'm oldschool, it won't bother me if they make the game where you zone in and get pounded by mobs before having a chance to react, but I think it's worth talking about finding ways so it doesn't happen.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at May 5, 2017 3:05 PM PDT
    • 1095 posts
    May 5, 2017 3:41 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Zeem said:

Of course, but danger that you can chose to avoid. Since I'm oldschool, it won't bother me if they make the game where you zone in and get pounded by mobs before having a chance to react, but I think it's worth talking about finding ways so it doesn't happen.

If theres no zone-in trains then I'll have nothing to do..

This post was edited by Aich at May 5, 2017 3:41 PM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    May 5, 2017 4:21 PM PDT

Also for purposes of PvP servers, would be nice to have to zone in a ways away from the zone line itself. That way people can't just hop back and forth.

• 3852 posts
    May 6, 2017 4:18 AM PDT

>Well i wasn't meaning the getting trained thing as a greiving point but something that happens from time to time.  Does it suck, yes it does, but if you make it to where the mobs wont venture to close to the zoneline than people will exploit it and kill targets next to the zone line with ease simply becuase they cant get there.<

I never thought you were being negative toward trains I was changing the topic - a bit clumsily perhaps. And making zone-in spots a way to kill mobs with impunity would be VERY bad ((nods)).

One thing I've seen far too often is the use of zone borders letting players beat the heck out of mobs with little risk. The fight goes well, loot the body. The fight goes less well, zone to safety. Don't want that at ALL. If the spot where you zone in is safe for you it should be just as safe for the mob. Maybe we can build recreation areas at zone-in spots where players and mobs can talk in peace and get to know eachother better. Maybe one day all this fighting and hatred will be gone and we can all just get along.

• 1584 posts
    May 6, 2017 4:42 AM PDT

Honestly the only solution i have to this whole thing is that once you get close the the zone line 2 things happen, one you lose aggro to the mobs you have or if you zone in you are non-aggroable, and 2 the npc's running back to their camps and don't aggro or can be damaged until they reach their spawn location, but this cuases another exploit which would allow someone from zoning the zone and if he made it to the zone line than it would take a while for them to get back to where they were if they were protecting a named than more than likely it would of died before they got back their which we also don't want to happen, which we could also prevent this by making npc's that are meant to guard/protect/or simply be killed before getting to a named npc are on a leash to prevent this from happening.

• 173 posts
    May 6, 2017 8:38 AM PDT

antonius said:

I have always wanted some kind of short term immunity when zoning in.  I don't mind trains at all, but I do despise dying before you even zone in.  I don't think having an immunity from attack or aggro that lasts EITHER the shorter of 5-10 second OR until you move upon zoning in is a bad idea.

If dying upon zone in due to a train, griefing or not, is an issue, I think Antonius' solution is perfect.

I have had more than a few deaths on zone in in EQ, but I learned that if there was one of more people hanging out at the zone line I would greet them and see what was going on. It was a good way to make friends and see if there was danger on the other side of the zone line.

• 3016 posts
    May 6, 2017 9:59 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

I think if the invisible wall for zoning out is 10 meters ahead of the invisible wall from zoning in, the problem would be solved. Training mobs would never reach the zone in point.

If there is a gap between the zone and ten feet in front..I've seen a bug where a High level red mob gets stuck inbetween,  happened in Vanguard,  would go to zone (chunk over) over and would briefly see a flash of some red con mob..and find myself dead on the other side.    Hopefully that kind of incident would be taken into consideration.  LOL

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at May 6, 2017 10:00 AM PDT