Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Particle effects on melee attacks.

• 432 posts
    May 3, 2017 12:12 PM PDT

Hello all.

Has anyone seen any in the live streams? Should we expect to see these in the future to any capacity?

-Todd

• 65 posts
    May 3, 2017 12:59 PM PDT
    I personally would not like to see particle effects on melee combat...it just eventually turns combat into a cluster of a firework show. Leave the particle effects for the magic weapons and spells. If I bash an enemy with my shield I don't need a red flash telling me I'm doing it, just the animation of the attack and good comnst sound effects :-)

That's just my opinion though :-)
    • 187 posts
    May 3, 2017 1:07 PM PDT

I wouldn't mind seeing a sword create a spark as it slashes against a metal chest piece or a dust wave being emitted from a two handed hammer after landing a blow. Keep it subtle so it doesn't overwhelm, but include it for sure. I'm all for it.

This post was edited by Syntro at May 3, 2017 1:07 PM PDT
    • 4 posts
    May 3, 2017 1:18 PM PDT

I thnik it's gonna be old style for melee attacks, only spells and maybe weapon procs would have a visual effect.

• 411 posts
    May 3, 2017 1:57 PM PDT

Having melee particle effects on contact would be difficult. If you're a melee combatant standing at max melee distance from an enemy, then your animation may not actually ever collide with the enemy model. If you're at the minimum distance, then your animation may have your weapon well into the enemy model. When would the particle effect go off?

If you're talking about particle effects completely determined by the player's animation like a wind effect on a blade for a hard swing, then sure I'd like to see some of that.

• 483 posts
    May 3, 2017 2:22 PM PDT

Maybe sparks for parry and blocks, and blood splater would be coool.

• 1281 posts
    May 3, 2017 3:23 PM PDT

I vote against particle effects for the most part. Obviously there may be certain circumstances where they would be expected, but for the most part they shouldn't be tacked on just to 'look cool'.

• 432 posts
    May 3, 2017 8:23 PM PDT

I must have worded this wrong, I didn’t expect to get opinions but what the heck, I’ll swing too.

I am very much looking forward to seeing magical and energy-filled attacks from melee. The ‘style’ this game has shown makes me believe they will be conservative and not make them over-the-top like some other Asian style MMORPG’s have done. We certainly don’t want that.

I don’t feel like there is very much to distinguish between auto attack and special attacks currently, especially on a rogue.

I am very much looking forward to seeing a Chi filled strike from monk to show off actual ‘chi-energy particles’. Paladins radiating a brilliant, also sudden and brief, light as they strike with one of their special attacks. And a reverse effect for his dark-side counterpart.

I feel like I have had some past reassurance given to me by developers about their being the capacity for warriors and other classes that are seen as mundane and non-magical able in some way to using magic (And not just using magical items). I don't remember which Dev said it and where it was talked about. (oh well)

Aside from the pre-alpha state (and limitations of budget/Tech) magic in this game seems less like a breath in the air you can feel as you draw it in, or a subtle glow with the flex of muscles and will … and more like an on-off button. Either they are casting magic, magic is present. Or there is no magic, and magic is not present in any way.

I’m the kind of person who wants magic to be something like ‘wind’. Anyone who has a lot of time outdoors knows ‘wind’ is a constant companion everyone shares. I want magic to be less of an on-off button, and more like something connected to everyone that is constantly present. Some can wield magic with terrifying hurricane force which is obvious to see, and others can use it differently but still effectively, and still it’s always there. With every weapon swing and every powerful word, in some capacity magic is a fuel being used. And I guess I want tell-tale signals of that when pressing my powerful abilities with ANY class.

I don’t want to sound like I don’t appreciate what I have been getting. So far the animators are doing a standup job! My breath was taken away by those perfect monk kicks. Well done!

The Usual Disclaimer – Now that we have opened the box of opinion, please be civil and realize there is no winner to how any one person feels about this topic (Unless it’s Kilsin). I’m happy to read and understand how each of you think and what you have expectations for. Please do the same for each of us.

Also you can get more info from this post about Magic Vs Mundane (https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5040/magic-vs-mundane-classes). Honestly this thread was just me asking a question about the recent streams and if anyone has had any info from Devs about this issue. I havn't been able to be on the forums as much as I used to.

This post was edited by tehtawd at May 3, 2017 8:36 PM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    May 3, 2017 8:45 PM PDT

A little more "weight" and "impact" in the melee animations for things other than auto-atttack  shouldnt be too much to ask. Doesnt need to be flashy, but I think it could benefit from a little more oomph.

• 9115 posts
    May 3, 2017 9:16 PM PDT

It is definitely possible to have particles on melee weapons and armour, depending on what they are enchanted with, what procs they have, what they are made out of etc., we won;t go overboard like some games do but we will certainly look at having some lore friendly and gentle effect to show off different weapons.

• 1778 posts
    May 3, 2017 9:19 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

It is definitely possible to have particles on melee weapons and armour, depending on what they are enchanted with, what procs they have, what they are made out of etc., we won;t go overboard like some games do but we will certainly look at having some lore friendly and gentle effect to show off different weapons.

Sweet!

• 432 posts
    May 3, 2017 9:44 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Awesome, but not exactly what I wanted confirmation on. I am specifically talking about abilities, not weapons and armor.

If a Paladin has an ability called 'Rage of Light' which is given a unique swing attack by the animators. I would also like confirmation that this attack would also incorporate some type of particle effects to show off 'magic' being used. 

-Todd

• 9115 posts
    May 4, 2017 3:06 AM PDT

tehtawd said:

Kilsin said:

Awesome, but not exactly what I wanted confirmation on. I am specifically talking about abilities, not weapons and armor.

If a Paladin has an ability called 'Rage of Light' which is given a unique swing attack by the animators. I would also like confirmation that this attack would also incorporate some type of particle effects to show off 'magic' being used. 

-Todd

That is exactly what I meant when I said "depending on weapon procs or enchantments" abilities that are big racial or class-based abilities with long cooldowns could have effects too but as I said, we won't be going overboard just for the sake of it. ;)

• 432 posts
    May 4, 2017 7:21 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

tehtawd said:

Kilsin said:

-Todd

That is exactly what I meant when I said "depending on weapon procs or enchantments" abilities that are big racial or class-based abilities with long cooldowns could have effects too but as I said, we won't be going overboard just for the sake of it. ;)

Thanks friend, glad to hear this!

-Todd

• 26 posts
    May 4, 2017 7:42 AM PDT

Cool, it's good to hear that particle effects will be more scarce. It's obnoxious when everyone looks like they are fighting with light sabers because every swing leaves some kind of colored trail. Leave the "glowy" effects for super rare and awesome weapons.

• 52 posts
    May 4, 2017 10:22 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

As long as there's a way to eliminate the majority of the effects through graphic settings, that's fine.  

• 432 posts
    May 4, 2017 9:22 PM PDT

Stirek said:

Kilsin said:

As long as there's a way to eliminate the majority of the effects through graphic settings, that's fine.  

Could we change graphics settings to eliminate the majority of spells also? 

Actually nevermind. The Developers will make things which fit with the lore. Flashy and subtle where it needs to be. And the game will likely include an option to change the graphical settings of the game if the system somebody is playing on can't cut it. Most MMORPGs have a setting specifically to tone down all particle effects (this includes magic).

-Todd

• 9115 posts
    May 4, 2017 11:03 PM PDT

tehtawd said:

Stirek said:

Kilsin said:

Could we change graphics settings to eliminate the majority of spells also? 

Actually nevermind. The Developers will make things which fit with the lore. Flashy and subtle where it needs to be. And the game will likely include an option to change the graphical settings of the game if the system somebody is playing on can't cut it. Most MMORPGs have a setting specifically to tone down all particle effects (this includes magic).

-Todd

In nearly every MMORPG to date there is a setting to turn particle effects down, our game should be no different ;)