Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Idea - Base Camps

• 17 posts
    May 2, 2017 12:46 PM PDT

So watching today's excellent stream, I thought about the constant wiping I was seeing.  Cohh then mentioned about how they wouldn't be teleporting (GM powers) and would have to run back to their corpse for gear.  I do not have the experience that many have with EQ (and I didn't have to worry about corspse runs,) but I wondered how you can go back without your gear?  Obviously you would need a second set.  Here's where Base Camps come into play.

Basically have a designated set area near a Point of Interest (like the reckless magician's tower.)  This set area allows for a party to set up camp (a Base Camp.)  This camp will only last for X number of hours (4?) and then disappear.  This camp could be something as small as a pop up tent or something more elaborate crafted by players (store bought cosmetic?)  The Base Camp will act as a spawn point for that party.  Players could have a chest available in this camp to store spare gear.  Other players can see your camp as they approach the POI and know that other players are in the area.  PVE servers obviously means it can't be attackable.  PVP servers, perhaps?  

I think this might help mitigate some of the tedium I could see occuring, while offering the experience of trying to retrieve your corpse.  It also rewards prepared players, which I think is a great thing to encourage.

This post was edited by quietus at May 2, 2017 12:48 PM PDT
    • 1095 posts
    May 2, 2017 1:04 PM PDT

You will have to get help from other players, in the form of corpse drags, summones or aother group who can rez.

• 633 posts
    May 2, 2017 1:46 PM PDT

A couple of things to consider here.  One is that well prepared players would already have a "base camp" set up.  Not quite like what you mention, but they'd make sure they're bound nearby to prevent long runs back to their corpses.  Another is there is likely to be corpse summoning abilities, and if you don't have someone in your group that can do it, perhaps someone else nearby could do it for you?  Also, if you do wipe, need to recover your corpses, and can't get them summoned, perhaps your guild mates could come help out, or you could ask another nearby group for help.  Remember this isn't like most MMO's these days with instanced dungeons, zones and encounters.  Other people will likely be around.

Also, one of the reasons they wiped as often as they did is probably because they just GM leveled their characters.  Apparently the command used to do that doesn't move their skills up to that level.  So their skills are well below the level they should be.  Cohh got up to a Defense skill of 11 during one of the fights, which is extemely low for their level (equivalent to a level 2 character).  Assuming it is anything like Everquest, that means he was taking max damage almost every hit.

I'm not saying your base camp idea is bad, I'm just offsetting some of the points you made.

• 249 posts
    May 2, 2017 1:50 PM PDT

Saw this question asked a few times in the stream chat. You need to get creative. Invis yourself. Have a monk drag your corpse's. Get rezzed or summoned. Ask another group or guildies to assist you. That's what makes death painful. That's also why some people hate corpse runs, but to me it's almost a defining feature. 

• 2886 posts
    May 2, 2017 6:08 PM PDT

I think that's kinda along the lines of this: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2092/rest-area

• 17 posts
    May 2, 2017 7:27 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

I think that's kinda along the lines of this: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2092/rest-area

Thanks for the link.  Will def check it out.