Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Class AND Race Restricted Equipment

• 187 posts
    April 30, 2017 3:14 PM PDT

I was browsing the FAQs when I stumbled upon an interesting Q and A and, as the idle mind typically wanders, I probably thought too much about a particular sentence of the answer.

5.6 Will warriors focus on sword and shield or will they be a master of all weapons? What might they use for dealing more damage?
    A: We wouldn't say warriors are masters of all weapons, no. They are masters of some weapons and this may vary by what race of warrior you are...

Neat, so class equipment availability could potentially also be restricted by race as well. Which in all honesty makes complete sense to me. I really hope this is true, imagine some of the novelties that would arise!

Bard/All: Each race could culturally play unique, lore-inspired instruments. 
    Dark Myr/Rogue: Trident backstabs anyone?
    Dwarf/Enchanter: What better way to proc a mezz than to knock an enemy in the head with a solid hammer?
    Ogre/Druid: A lightning kissed two-handed hammer, giant Mjolnir anyone?

What are some fun lore-based Class/Race equipment restrictions that you can think of?

This post was edited by Syntro at April 30, 2017 3:15 PM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    April 30, 2017 3:22 PM PDT

Dark Myr: Nothing specific but being in the water and seaside id expect something a bit more appropriate. Tridents being a general specialty could definitely be a thing. Maybe Coral armors and shields?

Is there a specific music instrument that can be played underwater? Waterflute? lol

• 187 posts
    April 30, 2017 3:28 PM PDT

Amsai said:

Is there a specific music instrument that can be played underwater? Waterflute? lol

Haha, I thought pretty hard about it. The only thing I could come up with was a hydraulophone or an ocean harp. But I guess going off the lore, water is toxic for them if I remember correctly, so who knows :D

This post was edited by Syntro at April 30, 2017 3:29 PM PDT
    • 1618 posts
    April 30, 2017 6:13 PM PDT

Amsai said:

Dark Myr: Nothing specific but being in the water and seaside id expect something a bit more appropriate. Tridents being a general specialty could definitely be a thing. Maybe Coral armors and shields?

Tuba.

• 2886 posts
    April 30, 2017 6:16 PM PDT

Beefcake said:

Amsai said:

Tuba.

Would that make it Tuna Turner's Tuba? lol

• 2138 posts
    April 30, 2017 6:40 PM PDT

I  like the idea because I see it as having the opportunity to allow for non-standard groups outside the quarternity. 

For instance in the scenario where you have a warrior, paladin, and summoner, and you want to go to the guard place in the recent stream. There is one person LFG and that is a Dark Myr rogue. Ideally the group would be looking for a healer but- if they see the dark myr rogue with the trident (triple backstab!)- thay may say," lets try the rogue,shes Dak Myr,if she has a trident we would kill them faster. Maybe fast enough to not need a healer. It may be slow going and lots of med time or need time to bind wounds- but it would still be doable and we would have to stand around waiting"

heh the only thing I could think of is a Skar hand weapon reminiscent of the albino Orcs prosthetic, in the first hobbit movie. of course it would mean the skar would need to  lose the arm to replace it with the prostetic, which... would be kind of epic *shudder*

• 2419 posts
    April 30, 2017 7:23 PM PDT

Syntro said:

I was browsing the FAQs when I stumbled upon an interesting Q and A and, as the idle mind typically wanders, I probably thought too much about a particular sentence of the answer.

5.6 Will warriors focus on sword and shield or will they be a master of all weapons? What might they use for dealing more damage?
    A: We wouldn't say warriors are masters of all weapons, no. They are masters of some weapons and this may vary by what race of warrior you are...

Neat, so class equipment availability could potentially also be restricted by race as well. Which in all honesty makes complete sense to me. I really hope this is true, imagine some of the novelties that would arise!

Dark Myr/Rogue: Trident backstabs anyone?
    Dwarf/Enchanter: What better way to proc a mezz than to knock an enemy in the head with a solid hammer?
    Ogre/Druid: A lightning kissed two-handed hammer, giant Mjolnir anyone?

What are some fun lore-based Class/Race equipment restrictions that you can think of?

This ties in nicely to the expected relationship between mob type and damage type where certain damage profiles are better against certain NPCs than others.  Blunt weapons against Skeletons are best while Piercing is worst.  This means not every tank will be able to wield equally any weapon of any damage type in every situation thus groups will need to adjust their action accordingly.  More things to think about.

Oh, and if Ogres could be bards then it would be either the Tuba or just a large bass drum.

This post was edited by Vandraad at April 30, 2017 7:23 PM PDT
    • 187 posts
    April 30, 2017 8:24 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

This ties in nicely to the expected relationship between mob type and damage type where certain damage profiles are better against certain NPCs than others.  Blunt weapons against Skeletons are best while Piercing is worst.  This means not every tank will be able to wield equally any weapon of any damage type in every situation thus groups will need to adjust their action accordingly.  More things to think about.

Great point! Maybe this is a static way for horizontal differentiation between the races of a particular class. Groups would look for specific race/class combos rather than just a class for specific situations. Very cool.

This post was edited by Syntro at April 30, 2017 8:25 PM PDT
    • 1584 posts
    April 30, 2017 10:16 PM PDT

This is a very interesting concept and i really like it, like certain races that can be warriors will still be different warriors, especially if there is speciallization within using certain weapons, like an Ogre could be an awesome 2HB warrior where as a dwarf might be a 1hb/shield type warrior or something to this effect granted both races could do probably both of these obviously but maybe one race would have something special to them if they use the weapon they specialize in due to race i dunno maybe thinking to far into it but it sounds great in my head at least lol

This post was edited by Cealtric at April 30, 2017 10:16 PM PDT
    • 119 posts
    May 1, 2017 1:00 AM PDT

i'm not a fan of racial boni. they exist in lotro and all it really does is, it reduces your choice of available weapons.

• 1468 posts
    May 1, 2017 1:40 AM PDT

I loved that EQ had specific race / class requirements on items. It made it much more fun to find items to equip for your characters and the same class on two different races had drastic differences on what items they could equip. If you combine that with the reputation system where good races couldn't complete evil races quests and vice versa (well unless they did a lot of faction grinding) you had to make some really tough choices.

• 19 posts
    May 1, 2017 2:14 AM PDT

I would enjoy the option of specialty racial gear.  Dwarven Heavy Plate, as dwarves are renowned in many games/concepts as exceptional armorers. Ogre Direaxes, massive 2handers fit for their size.  Elven great bows, masters of archery, human crossbows, for that extra punch through armor, etc etc etc.  In my opinion, having more options, even restricted by race/class, is always a good thing, and would allow for natural tie ins to crafting/harvesting skills.

• 2138 posts
    May 1, 2017 4:08 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Syntro said:

Oh, and if Ogres could be bards then it would be either the Tuba or just a large bass drum.

I had a funny thought:

The Ogre, farting. "But I am a Bard!" he said, "Can't you hear AND smell my instrument? I am a flatulist" *upon which the guild leader hands him a flute* "Flautist?!"  

• 1095 posts
    May 1, 2017 4:25 PM PDT

This concept isn't new. Items will surely be restricted to the lore around the item.

This post was edited by Aich at May 1, 2017 4:26 PM PDT
    • 187 posts
    May 1, 2017 4:33 PM PDT

Zeem said:

This concept isn't new. Items will surely be restricted to the lore around the item.

It's not about items being restricted to the lore, it's about classes having access to variable equipment types based on their race, i.e. not all Warriors will be able to use 2 hand slash, not all Druids would be able to use staves, and not Clerics would be able to use 1 hand blunt weapon types. I don't think I've seen that in an MMO before.

This post was edited by Syntro at May 1, 2017 4:33 PM PDT
    • 2419 posts
    May 1, 2017 8:03 PM PDT

Syntro said:

Zeem said:

It's not about items being restricted to the lore, it's about classes having access to variable equipment types based on their race, i.e. not all Warriors will be able to use 2 hand slash, not all Druids would be able to use staves, and not Clerics would be able to use 1 hand blunt weapon types. I don't think I've seen that in an MMO before.

Actually, Zeem, I think the approach is any warrior will be able to wield any weapon, but depending upon the race the skill cap for each weapon type will vary. And just for argument sake lets say max weapon skill is 100.  If we say Ogres' best weapon ability is 2HB, that weapon skill can go to 100.  Their 2HS skill, while still a 2HD weapon, caps at 90 because different swing types, etc are needed.  How the weapon is brought to bear is different.  Their 1HB skill could be at 85 with 1HS at 80.  2HP and 1HP would be down in the 70s.  Again, numbers just for argument sake. 

The point being the Ogre really shines when able to wield those large 2handed hammers or staves while piercing, which requires a high degree of accuracy to use effectively, just isn't a skill Ogres have much success learning.

• 129 posts
    May 1, 2017 10:49 PM PDT

I think the usual class/race restriction system is getting a little old, and "unrealistic".

When I mean unrealistic, I mean, what sort of magical force forbids someone to pickup that item and "try" to use it ?

What about a new system where all items can be used by all race/class (magical force forbidding does not make sense), BUT only the races/classes intended to USE it CORRECTLY get the real stats on it ?

An Ogre warrior can use a wizard staff and swing it around, it won't be effective at all, because all the stats are only granted when the user is a wizard (unless it's the fabled staff of whoop'ass), but he CAN do it for the lolz. Why not ?

• 19 posts
    May 1, 2017 11:13 PM PDT

I think its unrealistic to believe that halflings can wear the same item an ogre can.

• 238 posts
    May 2, 2017 1:01 AM PDT

I would be down with races getting a small bonus to certain weapons but not really saying my Halfling can’t use a two handed sword or something. So maybe a hafling have a weapon skill of 105% in daggers while a dwarf gets a 105% to hammers.

• 1714 posts
    May 2, 2017 9:12 AM PDT

bobwinner said:

I think the usual class/race restriction system is getting a little old, and "unrealistic".

When I mean unrealistic, I mean, what sort of magical force forbids someone to pickup that item and "try" to use it ?

What about a new system where all items can be used by all race/class (magical force forbidding does not make sense), BUT only the races/classes intended to USE it CORRECTLY get the real stats on it ?

An Ogre warrior can use a wizard staff and swing it around, it won't be effective at all, because all the stats are only granted when the user is a wizard (unless it's the fabled staff of whoop'ass), but he CAN do it for the lolz. Why not ?

I agree. And remember folks, all loot is monk loot. 

• 1303 posts
    May 2, 2017 9:15 AM PDT

bobwinner said:

There's nothing magical about the fact that a 2 handed battle axe weights 50+ pounds, and the skinny nerd wizard would struggle to lift it let alone swing it and hit anyone but his allies or himself. 

• 279 posts
    May 2, 2017 9:19 AM PDT

Two handed battle axes generally weigh 3 to 5 pounds not 50. I own afew Dane axes myself.

Hell a magical one would probably be even lighter.

• 1714 posts
    May 2, 2017 9:39 AM PDT

Sunmistress said:

Two handed battle axes generally weigh 3 to 5 pounds not 50. I own afew Dane axes myself.

Hell a magical one would probably be even lighter.

You follow Skallagrim on youtube?

• 279 posts
    May 2, 2017 9:48 AM PDT

Nope, but I have seen some of his videos. I like Matt Easton abit more as far as youtubers go for that sort of thing. 

My wife, daughter and I are part of a local hema group though.

• 119 posts
    May 2, 2017 3:01 PM PDT

Xonth said:I would be down with races getting a small bonus to certain weapons but not really saying my Halfling can’t use a two handed sword or something. So maybe a hafling have a weapon skill of 105% in daggers while a dwarf gets a 105% to hammers.

lotro has that and it means being a dwarf you use hammers only. being a halfling you use daggers only... boring. and it's even a greater problem if some weapon is the "best". that means those classes who have a racial bonus for that weapon type, have a "better" racial bonus.

EQ had some racial restrictions on lower level weapons, but not on endgame weapons. armor was divided in small - medium - large, but the only difference was weight and demand (which influenced market prices). i don't think it added alot to gameplay and again they made endgame armor race independent. they added some again for iksars with the kunark expansion, but in all future expansions, iksar could use the same armor as everyone else of the same class.

balancing different items for different races is alot of work, and in the end i don't think it's worth the effort. you'd probably end up with items for some races being viewed as superior, and then you're at a disadvantage because of your race choice, long ago. a choice that you took without knowing the consequences and that you cannot undo.