Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Fashion Quest

• 1468 posts
    April 19, 2017 9:21 PM PDT

Searched but surprisingly couldn't find anything on it.

Does anyone remember back in the old days of EQ players that would refuse to wear certain gear because it wouldn't look fashionable and they'd spend ages doing quests or killing certain mobs to get items that looked just right for their character? I'd love to see something like this happen in Pantheon where there was such a lot of items to choose from that you could mix and match the items that you wore to make your character look exactly as you wanted them to look.

I know a lot of players took this really seriously in EQ and would spend hours upon hours researching what gear looked liked and then travelling all over the world to get the correct gear to match their characters look. Imagine having a Ranger in evil looking armour for instance? Things like that are just cool and make the game so much more fun.

• 86 posts
    April 20, 2017 1:24 AM PDT

Large race, Mask of Deception + Shainai's Nightie

• 633 posts
    April 20, 2017 5:47 AM PDT

I loved my female enchanter wearing a combination of chain and plate armor.  Looked awesome.

• 2886 posts
    April 20, 2017 6:28 AM PDT

We still don't exactly know how cosmetic gear will work, but it'll certainly mean that you can achieve the look you want, without having to sacrifice stats. Character appearance is of course really important to a lot of people, which is probably why VR decided to include cosmetic gear in the first place. I'd imagine some of the cooler appearances will still be pretty difficult to acquire and will probably be acquired through many different means. No doubt people will have fun tracking down the appearances they want.

• 1468 posts
    April 20, 2017 1:56 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

We still don't exactly know how cosmetic gear will work, but it'll certainly mean that you can achieve the look you want, without having to sacrifice stats. Character appearance is of course really important to a lot of people, which is probably why VR decided to include cosmetic gear in the first place. I'd imagine some of the cooler appearances will still be pretty difficult to acquire and will probably be acquired through many different means. No doubt people will have fun tracking down the appearances they want.

I really dislike the idea of cosmetic items. The whole point of Fashion Quest was that you had to spend hours planning out and researching your gear and making a choice between stats or appearence. It made it pretty amazing when you saw someone who looked good as well as having good stats. Cosmetic gear would ruin that fun to some extent.

But I guess if they are going to have cosmetic items I could live with it. I just preferred the way it was done in EQ where players decided what looked good or not and then had to balance the stats or the appearence.

• 999 posts
    April 21, 2017 6:59 AM PDT

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of cosmetic gear either Cromulent, and have always preferred to be able to "see" what someone is wearing.  But appearance gear etc. has been hashed to death in other threads and it ultimately will end most likely in a toggle where the individual can hide/show appearance gear.

Here's a really long thread on the subject started as CM Content by Kilsin:

http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2126/appearance-gear-and-weapons/view/post_id/28219

• 1714 posts
    April 21, 2017 11:32 AM PDT

Raidan said:

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of cosmetic gear either Cromulent, and have always preferred to be able to "see" what someone is wearing.  But appearance gear etc. has been hashed to death in other threads and it ultimately will end most likely in a toggle where the individual can hide/show appearance gear.

http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2126/appearance-gear-and-weapons/view/post_id/28219

Looking at someone and knowing what they had was always such a great part of EQ for me. Items became status symbols, representation of power, etc. Items has SUCH MEANING and that was in large part because they were identifiable. 

• 1468 posts
    April 21, 2017 3:12 PM PDT

Raidan said:

I'll give it a read. Thanks. I'm pretty sure I remember posting in that thread last year but I can't remember what I said.

• 999 posts
    April 21, 2017 4:57 PM PDT
    @Krixus

I agree 100% if you read my reply on page 3 of the thread I linked, you'll see my views.
    • 2886 posts
    April 21, 2017 5:16 PM PDT

Yeah I'm not saying I'm in strongly for it or against it, because that has its own thread. Although I do think they came up with a pretty creative solution to allow you to still be able to see what's someone "real" gear is just by looking at them even if they have cosmetics equipped. So it's just bonus points to the people that can look good even in their "Adventure" gear. But because we know that it will be in the game regardless, I believe it is the answer to your question. People will certainly be hunting down items just for their appearance. And I'd be willing to be that it will not always be trivial.

• 578 posts
    April 21, 2017 5:23 PM PDT

Though I agree with most here who prefer not to have cosmetic gear, I can live with cosmetic gear as long as players have to loot the item they want to show. If Player X wants the graphic of Ghozz's Flaming Spike then they have to go fight Ghozz and loot his Flaming Spike in order to use it as cosmetic gear. Then if their Ice Sword has the stats they prefer but want the Flaming Spike graphic they can choose to use the Spike. It doesn't sit right with me if a player can just buy a cosmetic item from an in-game shop that matches an item that is hard to get.

And obviously no cash shop cosmetic gear.

• 2886 posts
    April 21, 2017 5:28 PM PDT

NoobieDoo said:

Though I agree with most here who prefer not to have cosmetic gear, I can live with cosmetic gear as long as players have to loot the item they want to show. If Player X wants the graphic of Ghozz's Flaming Spike then they have to go fight Ghozz and loot his Flaming Spike in order to use it as cosmetic gear. Then if their Ice Sword has the stats they prefer but want the Flaming Spike graphic they can choose to use the Spike. It doesn't sit right with me if a player can just buy a cosmetic item from an in-game shop that matches an item that is hard to get.

That's what I mean by it not being trivial. It seems like the plan is to have it still be something you have to earn - by interacting with the world via drops, quests, crafting, etc. Not really what you think of when you usually hear "cosmetic" gear. It's a pretty decent solution if you ask me.

• 1468 posts
    April 21, 2017 6:33 PM PDT

NoobieDoo said:

That could work. I'd be happy with a system like that. It would make me even happier if high end crafters could make some good looking cosmetic gear as well to give them something else to do at high levels. But having cosmetic gear drop from raid mobs and be quest rewards would be quite cool. I agree with you about the cash shop though if a player can just buy cosmetic gear it just makes it all worthless and people don't care about it. If players know you had to work really hard to get a piece of cosmetic gear they end up respecting the amount of effort that you put into trying to get that item.

• 1714 posts
    April 21, 2017 6:37 PM PDT

Raidan said: @Krixus I agree 100% if you read my reply on page 3 of the thread I linked, you'll see my views.

tldr bro!

edit: we both already know we agree on this lol

This post was edited by Keno Monster at April 21, 2017 6:38 PM PDT