Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Anonymous

• 1468 posts
    April 20, 2017 1:57 PM PDT

Feyshtey said:

@Cromulent - I wasnt making funny comments about your guild. I was making negative comments about mine :)  I was in higher tier guilds because of RL friendships, and because I tended to help people out when asked. But I have never had a desire to be told where to be, at what time, on what character, and for how long. But it happened fairly frequently.  It pissed me off. I would make alts and go anon and keep the alt secret from the guild so I could have some freakin peace and quiet.

On a related note, this is one of the reasons I'm opposed to friends lists, or guild membership, or most anything being account wide. 

My apologies Feyshtey :). I was quite tired last night and obviously a bit grumpy. So sorry for coming across like that and thank you for answering me.

• 19 posts
    April 20, 2017 7:58 PM PDT

Anon is great for getting relief from persistent people and control freaks. Anon FTW.

• 68 posts
    April 22, 2017 6:43 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

Feyshtey said:

I used to go anon because I didnt want my guild nagging me to show up at a raid that was in progress, and didnt want them to know I was xp'ing nearby...  But then I learned that if people are going to try to dictate how and where I play that I dont want any part of their guild. 

I should probably explain some background because unless you were on the Antonious Bayle server in EQ you won't know any of this stuff.

On Antonious Bayle we had between 3 and 5 top end raiding guilds. In terms of progression AB was always one of the best servers in EQ for raiding. When the top end guilds had finished their raids for the night some of their members got bored and started raiding lower level raid targets to twink their alts. Obviously there was nothing we could do about them taking both the high end raid targets as well as the low end raid targets so we just hit whichever targets they didn't get around to hitting. No problem.

The problem came when they were down on numbers they would invite friends from our guild to help take targets. This would be a couple of members who would go and raid with this group of people and because they were actively stealing content from the rest of the guild that we all wanted to hit together it wasn't looked upon very kindly by the rest of the guild. We noticed that they always used /anon to try and hide the fact that they were stealing content from the rest of the guild so we decided to just ban /anon to try and stop guild mates stealing content and items from other guild members. In hindsight the players responsible should have just been kicked out of the guild but United Kingdoms has always been a friendly guild that gives people second chances.

So as you can see it wasn't that simple. We had high end guilds killing raid mobsSo as you can see it wasn't that simple. We had high end guilds killing raid mobs that didn't give them any loot they needed simply to twink their alts and obviously this annoyed loads of mid-level guilds who were trying to progress through the game. If something like that happens in Pantheon I would hope that the GMs would step in. I don't mind if high end guilds fight over mobds that give them upgrades but when they kill mobs that they don't even need just because they are bored and screw other guilds over who are trying to progress I think a line has been crossed. that didn't give them any loot they needed simply to twink their alts and obviously this annoyed loads of mid-level guilds who were trying to progress through the game. If something like that happens in Pantheon I would hope that the GMs would step in. I don't mind if high end guilds fight over mobds that give them upgrades but when they kill mobs that they don't even need just because they are bored and screw other guilds over who are trying to progress I think a line has been crossed.

So please don't make any funny comments about my guild until you understand the reasons behind it. I'm sure if any other guild was in our position they would implement similar rules as well.

Edit: I hope Aradune and other devs read this so that they understand some of the problems mid range guilds have to face when trying to progress. The EU server is ALWAYS one of the most hardcore servers in any game I have played and our problems are normally much worse than found on NA servers because we normally only have one or two servers for the whole community.

This is super cute. I cant compete so the game needs to step in and make it fair. I cant play 20 hours like someone else! So entitled. You had people literally screwing you in your guild and you didnt kick them out. Thats no ones fault but your own. If they want to gear their alts, which they probably used in main raids when they lacked certain classes, then thats exactly what they should do. Its not their fault you guys didnt get there first.

Anon all the way. Anyone who played an enchanter/cleric/shaman in EQ understands this. Role playing still showed what guild you were in which high end guilds try to hide if they are gathering for an open world boss.

• 1584 posts
    April 22, 2017 6:55 AM PDT

Feyshtey said:

I used to go anon because I didnt want my guild nagging me to show up at a raid that was in progress, and didnt want them to know I was xp'ing nearby...  But then I learned that if people are going to try to dictate how and where I play that I dont want any part of their guild. 

Your backing up /anon based on you joining a guild that asked people when they are on they except you to raid if it's raiding time, that honestly to me makes no sense, if this is the case imho you were in the wrong guild and should of joined a more casual raiding guild or a non raiding guild entirely.  but with that being said /anon does not do anything but cause problems i know for a fact most hardcore, and semi hardcore raiding guild will not support you being in /anon if it hides your zone from them it simply won't happen you might as well not be in their guild and they will make it such if they see it multiple times, as for i have seen it so many times happen to other players for simply this reason.

• 1584 posts
    April 22, 2017 7:07 AM PDT

This is super cute. I cant compete so the game needs to step in and make it fair. I cant play 20 hours like someone else! So entitled. You had people literally screwing you in your guild and you didnt kick them out. Thats no ones fault but your own. If they want to gear their alts, which they probably used in main raids when they lacked certain classes, then thats exactly what they should do. Its not their fault you guys didnt get there first.

Anon all the way. Anyone who played an enchanter/cleric/shaman in EQ understands this. Role playing still showed what guild you were in which high end guilds try to hide if they are gathering for an open world boss.

ok for one the class thing is hidden if /roleplay so your first statement is taken care of for no one can see your class, and plus if there are going to be different shards on the server than honestly your 2nd point also holds no merit either for im sure he won't only be up in just one shard and if they add in lock down timers than this will eliminate it almost entirely so basically /anon is an abuse tool for people to join bigger guilds to take down bigger targets without possibily getting caught and not really anything more or ever was becuase most top end raiding guilds in EQ didn't care if the world know they were online becuase if they wanted a target there wasn't much to stop them anyway.

• 129 posts
    April 22, 2017 7:47 AM PDT

gray808 said:

They have a anonymous feature: don't log in.

I don't see how having a command to make yourself "anon" would add to "immersion" at all. If you want to be immersed, then just don't do a /who. 

--Gray

Someone never raided before in a game that had any value. /Anon is required so people can't /who zones to see whose there. This is important for raid targets that other people don't have the timers for. Something that will be important again in a game with no raid instancing.

• 1618 posts
    April 22, 2017 8:04 AM PDT

I love to raid. When I join a force, I commit to a certain number of days for raiding. I keep my commitment.

However, during the rest of my time, I help people out when I can. But, I also have other commitments to my friends and family that I play with. 

In any raid guild, leaders occasionally get bored and decide to start a pickup raid to entertain themselves. They CLAIM that joining is voluntary, but we all know it's not. When you say NO, they will remember, especially if you are good and a needed role.

During my off days, I have commitments to help the wife, kids, other friends, etc. 

/anon is a key to this. The game is supposed to be FUN. I pay money to have FUN. I don't want be pressured between competing loyalties. We all get enough of that IRL. Sometimes, we just want to be left alone and play the game OUR way.

• 3852 posts
    April 22, 2017 8:29 AM PDT

The short answer is that an /anon feature helps some people and doesn't hurt anyone since no one is forced to use it.

• 1584 posts
    April 22, 2017 9:22 AM PDT

I just going to be honest in that you guys can have the /anon feature but I'm just saying i know most guilds will not allow it in their guild for obvious reason and they have been mentioned and if you use it and they are strict enough about it you will be kicked for this reason alone so like i said you can do what it is that you want to do with this feature but it wont be tolerated by many guilds.

• 1618 posts
    April 22, 2017 9:33 AM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

I just going to be honest in that you guys can have the /anon feature but I'm just saying i know most guilds will not allow it in their guild for obvious reason and they have been mentioned and if you use it and they are strict enough about it you will be kicked for this reason alone so like i said you can do what it is that you want to do with this feature but it wont be tolerated by many guilds.

If a guild kicks you for occasionally being anonymous, you are better off without them.

This is MY time and money. I do not spend my time and money to be controlled. I have a wife for that.

This post was edited by Beefcake at April 22, 2017 9:35 AM PDT
    • 1584 posts
    April 22, 2017 9:37 AM PDT

I has been proven to be an untrustworthy tool, and has been abused as such, and this is why guilds don't want it around.  Plus helping your friends and family and such doesn't mean you have to go /anon.

• 2752 posts
    April 22, 2017 1:11 PM PDT

I imagine the instances of it being "abused" is  a very low percentage but it just happens to be the only time anyone would actually take notice or possibly even know people are using /anon so it seems like a much bigger problem than it really is. 

• 542 posts
    April 22, 2017 1:14 PM PDT

Beefcake said:

I do not spend my time and money to be controlled. I have a wife for that.

I bet many men will anonymously agree to that LOL

• 1584 posts
    April 22, 2017 1:16 PM PDT

Iksar said:

I imagine the instances of it being "abused" is  a very low percentage but it just happens to be the only time anyone would actually take notice or possibly even know people are using /anon so it seems like a much bigger problem than it really is. 

Theres also a very low percentage of people even wanting the anon command so i guess thats about saying the same thing, not trying to say everyone that uses it does do things they know they shouldn't as in raid with other guilds but for most of the reasons why they want the anon command is taking care of by the roleplay command so there for not really needed

This post was edited by Cealtric at April 22, 2017 1:18 PM PDT
    • 542 posts
    April 22, 2017 1:27 PM PDT

Honestly I'd feel indifferent with or without this anonymous option. If people didn't make such big deals out of nothing,like raiding with another guild..why would playing with other people now and then be forbidden? It is indeed like a jealous lover that wants to forbid the partner to see different people lol .Just have fun gaming you know

• 1618 posts
    April 22, 2017 1:35 PM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Iksar said:

Theres also a very low percentage of people even wanting the anon command so i guess thats about saying the same thing, not trying to say everyone that uses it does do things they know they shouldn't as in raid with other guilds but for most of the reasons why they want the anon command is taking care of by the roleplay command so there for not really needed

Would love to see your poll results or however you determined that only a very low percentage want an /anon feature.

Sad that you care so much about controlling others and trying to forbid others from playing with different people. Sounds a bit needy to me. Why must guilds be able to stalk their members? If you can't satisfy your members needs, many it's time to look a litTLE deeper and see what the leaders are doing wrong.

This post was edited by Beefcake at April 22, 2017 1:39 PM PDT
    • 63 posts
    April 22, 2017 1:56 PM PDT

I think this boils down to personal preference.

I wouldn't use it, but I wouldn't be in a guild who cares who I raid with and spend my time with anyway...Its MY time not theirs, and I don't get a lot of it, so Im spending it how I want too.

Also, we are thinking of Raiding in terms of...Like lock-outs or whatever, there will be plenty of open world content and as they have said before, there shouldn't be an instance of a few bosses that everyone wants to camp all the time because it drops the best stuff there will be lots of bosses to pick from that you will want for different reasons.

I say put it in for those who WANT it. Even though the game is about community...Everyone needs some alone time sometimes.

• 1584 posts
    April 22, 2017 3:31 PM PDT

Beefcake said:

Riahuf22 said:

Iksar said:

Would love to see your poll results or however you determined that only a very low percentage want an /anon feature.

Sad that you care so much about controlling others and trying to forbid others from playing with different people. Sounds a bit needy to me. Why must guilds be able to stalk their members? If you can't satisfy your members needs, many it's time to look a litTLE deeper and see what the leaders are doing wrong.

Easy honestly I've been in at least 15 hardcore raiding guilds and none of them allow for them to be in /anon but have to be in /roleplay and its not stalking for the most part we could care less where they are at, but if you are in /anon than people are wondering what you are up too, it just leaves doubt where there shouldn't be any or we should becuase you are doing something wrong.  And it isnt called stalking sometimes we might see you in a zone and might send you a tell to see if the grp is full or something but that is about it, if you cant handle that than maybe you should join a guild just made up of your friends and be happy with that.  /roleplay all the way becuase /anon is just a command for the guildless

• 19 posts
    April 22, 2017 3:35 PM PDT

I mean really it's simple. It's very convenient so have /anon and don't use it if you don't want to .

It's not mandatory it's voluntary, a convenient and welcome choice to have.

• 399 posts
    April 22, 2017 5:08 PM PDT

Think outside the box and reduce limitations. 

/hide [all], [nothing], [level], [race], [class] , [zone], [guild]

/hide nothing > Durp, 25 Human Cleric, Steppes of Ru'Lun, The Divine Council

/hide level, class  > Durp, Human, Steppes of Ru'Lun, The Divine Council

/hide class, guild > Durp, 25 Human, Steppes of Ru'Lun

/hide all > Durp

this is for anyone doing a /Who or similar command. 

Add lfg  if needed 

This post was edited by Durp at April 22, 2017 5:10 PM PDT
    • 37 posts
    April 24, 2017 8:57 AM PDT

doesent matter so much for me if there is an /anon or /role option in game BUT i would love a command for auto decline duel/group invite/Guild invite to avoid the ghost invites, i love grouping and joining a Guild and sutch but i hate random invites or duels.

• 1921 posts
    April 24, 2017 9:08 AM PDT

Durp said:

Think outside the box and reduce limitations. 

/hide [all], [nothing], [level], [race], [class] , [zone], [guild]

/hide nothing > Durp, 25 Human Cleric, Steppes of Ru'Lun, The Divine Council

/hide level, class  > Durp, Human, Steppes of Ru'Lun, The Divine Council

/hide class, guild > Durp, 25 Human, Steppes of Ru'Lun

/hide all > Durp

this is for anyone doing a /Who or similar command. 

Add lfg  if needed 

Yep, that's the good stuff.  Would also like an option to appear offline, at the character selection screen as well as in-game.  Something like /invis or similar so you can't get any tells, don't appear in /who, don't show up in any lists, etc.

• 37 posts
    December 12, 2017 9:59 AM PST

The memory of constantly getting tells, shouts, says, etc. from a ton of players when I played a cleric in EQ to group/rez/helpmegetmycorpse/joinmyguild, etc. made me seek whatever mechanic in any game afterwards allowed me to hide a healing/rez class when I wanted.

It's not that I don't like helping, in fact, that's the problem. In the beginning, I would try and oblige as many players as I could, for hours, but then you even get a reputation from that and get even MORE requests. The responses when I would politely say, "I'm so sorry, but I am grouped right now," would range from the minority response "No problem" to the majority of things I won't post here. Destroys the game experience, can make one feel horrible, and just changes your perception of the game's community after awhile. Grow thicker skin, don't mind the nasties, block all the crude players, I've heard it all, too.

So yes, I don't care how you do it, but please, empower the player and put in place a way one can hide their class, at least, when they wish. I do love the options where you can automatically decline things, such as guild invites, as well. It would be nice if we didn't need such a thing, but there you go.

Ari (who will buff as many as she can, rez as many as she has time for, and help when she may)

• 513 posts
    December 12, 2017 10:51 AM PST

I usually use anon when i am trying to get something done for myself and don't want to be harrassed by someone wanting me to get something done for them.

Ariesel? Just wondering here, are you by chance going to play a Necro?

• 37 posts
    December 12, 2017 11:05 AM PST

Nephretiti said:

Ariesel? Just wondering here, are you by chance going to play a Necro?

Heh, I have never played one, though from what I have observed they can be quite powerful in the right hands. ;)

Ari