Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Shared bank system

• 319 posts
    April 8, 2017 7:12 AM PDT

I searched but didn't find an answere to this question. I know EQ implimented shared banking after launch. Will there be shared banking in Pantheon?

Also  I would like to know everyone's opinion on making crafting mats available from the bank without carrying them around with you. Like they do in Elder scrolls online.

I do remember in EQ that carying ore and metak bars from one spot to another to use different forges etc was really cumbersome.

• 1468 posts
    April 8, 2017 7:42 AM PDT

Isaya said:

I searched but didn't find an answere to this question. I know EQ implimented shared banking after launch. Will there be shared banking in Pantheon?

Also  I would like to know everyone's opinion on making crafting mats available from the bank without carrying them around with you. Like they do in Elder scrolls online.

I do remember in EQ that carying ore and metak bars from one spot to another to use different forges etc was really cumbersome.

I hope there will be shared bank slots. Having to trust other people to swap items between your characters isn't great and just increases the chances that you will be robbed. Same is true for dropping your items on the ground and then logging out of your main character and then logging back in with the character you want the items for.

As for getting mats straight from your bank without having to carry them around I'm kind of on the fence on that one. It would certainly make crafting easier but maybe it would make too easy. I'd have to think about that. At the moment I'd rather do it like Vanguard did it or even how EQ did it.

• 319 posts
    April 8, 2017 7:48 AM PDT

I think you are right on in the mats in bank idea Cromulent. It did make it too easy to craft in ESO but you had a few cratfs you could do at the same time. Maybe keeping it to 1 or 2 at max it would be easier to carry your stuff to a forge or oven etc.

• 154 posts
    April 8, 2017 8:09 AM PDT

I think shared banks would be a nice and/or a feature where we players can send messages and/or items via mail to other players and our alts. Some games have in game mailboxes that I think are soo...kewl. I deffinately don't want to be required trust other players who as Cromulent mentioned may rob me blind. 

• 3852 posts
    April 8, 2017 8:57 AM PDT

Most games have both shared banks and allow characters to mail items to eachother. Generally limited to the same server.

Granted we are trying not to be like all other MMOs but this is simply a convenience not something that makes gameplay easier or faster and the ability to transfer between characters goes all the way back to Wizardry 1 if not earlier. Not exactly some newfangled make it too easy for the lazy current generation idea.

• 2886 posts
    April 8, 2017 9:08 AM PDT

From Kilsin:

"This will be something we decide on a bit later, for now it is a bank space per character and it will most likely remain that way until we are in testing where we can then get feedback from you all on the size and availability etc. of banks and the amount they can store."

Source: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4020/bank-and-or-storage-space

Also see: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1895/bank-sizes/view/page/1

Since it looks like banks will be localized, if there is shared banking, I would expect your alt to have to go to the same bank where your other character stored the item(s). I kinda doubt you will be able to access any items from your bank (including crafting mats) without actually going to the bank, since that kinda defeats the purpose of localized banks. I'm just guessing. I'm not saying that's best and I could be wrong. But I think they would deem that to be too easy mode. I do expect players to be able to mail items though. That's pretty standard for every game and I don't see a good reason why not to.

• 154 posts
    April 8, 2017 9:33 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

From Kilsin:

"This will be something we decide on a bit later, for now it is a bank space per character and it will most likely remain that way until we are in testing where we can then get feedback from you all on the size and availability etc. of banks and the amount they can store."

Source: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4020/bank-and-or-storage-space

Also see: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1895/bank-sizes/view/page/1

Since it looks like banks will be localized, if there is shared banking, I would expect your alt to have to go to the same bank where your other character stored the item(s). I kinda doubt you will be able to access any items from your bank (including crafting mats) without actually going to the bank, since that kinda defeats the purpose of localized banks. I'm just guessing. I'm not saying that's best and I could be wrong. But I think they would deem that to be too easy mode. I do expect players to be able to mail items though. That's pretty standard for every game and I don't see a good reason why not to.

Makes sense to me.

• 1468 posts
    April 8, 2017 9:42 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

From Kilsin:

Localised banking sounds like a really good idea. It will mean that crafters will likely set themselves up in one major city and do all of there work there and only move to other cities rarely because it will mean moving all of the crafting materials at the same time. Yeah. I like it.

That way people will get to know their local crafters who will be set up in the major cities all across the world.

• 1281 posts
    April 8, 2017 12:29 PM PDT

I like being able to share at least 1 bank slot between characters. Makes transfering items easier. If not automatic between accounts, possibly add the feature so you can specify a character (on your account or a friend) that can share the bank slots.

• 9115 posts
    April 8, 2017 5:48 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

From Kilsin:

Thanks Baz, I will let this one continue as it is slightly different and worthy of discussion but I appreciate you linking the other threads for reference :)

• 129 posts
    April 8, 2017 6:35 PM PDT

Did not know banks were being localized. That said, there should still be shared banks between other toons. Having to xfer using guildies or RL friends is annoying. You want local banks, sure go for it, I am down for a change but please make it to where toons in the same city can access shared slots.

This post was edited by Rogue at April 8, 2017 6:35 PM PDT
    • 85 posts
    April 8, 2017 8:26 PM PDT

I am fine with localized banks, but would prefer to be able to access my bank with all my alts.

• 2138 posts
    April 8, 2017 9:57 PM PDT

Cromulent said:

Bazgrim said:

From Kilsin:

[...]

[...]

Localised banking sounds like a really good idea. It will mean that crafters will likely set themselves up in one major city and do all of there work there and only move to other cities rarely because it will mean moving all of the crafting materials at the same time. Yeah. I like it.

That way people will get to know their local crafters who will be set up in the major cities all across the world.

The way I see this is f.ex: dwarven crafters will likely set themselves up in Dwarven city. which would mean a stranger coming to the dwarven city would be amazed at all the dwarven goods, Likeswise an enterprising Archon, might want to encourage the dwarven crafter in their home town- and all the involvement of moving said dwarf and items to archon city. and the dwarf would need to figure out re-supply (especially for ale) OR experiment with the local ores to se eif his techniques can be applied to that metal or perhaps only.....in the Amberfaet forge in which heat the dwarf would feel rejuvinated whereas in the archon cold (if it is archon cold) would be an environment the dwarf is not acclimated to, yet.

• 3852 posts
    April 9, 2017 8:06 AM PDT

Localized banks makes sense.

Authorizing a bank to disburse cash but not items to someone else (e.g. an "alt") goes way back possibly to before the Romans.

To revise what I said above - localized banks for ITEMS makes sense. Localized banks for money may or may not make sense depending on relationships. A branch of the same bank almost surely would allow a letter of credit from a different branch of the same bank. A different bank in the same country very well might depending on the banking system. A bank in a different country might or might not - a lot depends on both sophistication and the relationship between the two countries. VR should do what is convenient but while having the same physical item available instantly at multiple locations is obviously irrational barring a system of magic that banks use to teleport such items we should all understand that money works differently and letters of credit and similar instruments go back a LONG way.

This post was edited by dorotea at April 9, 2017 8:09 AM PDT
    • 483 posts
    April 9, 2017 8:23 AM PDT

In my opinion banks should be account wide, but local, so evil races can't send stuff to good races unless one of the sides does the rep grind to be friendly, and gain access to the bank. Money should have world wide access, but money on a evil city bank can only be accessed on other evil cities, and the same goes for the good cities.

• 763 posts
    April 10, 2017 6:11 AM PDT

I reposnded to another Bank thread here - describing how the 'limited' nature of bank slots could be handled, without having to have players have an unlimited number of them! This particularly hits crafters since they, above all other player types, tend to need vast swathes of storage for primary mats, intermediate-mats and completed work.

See :   https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4020/bank-and-or-storage-space

Hoever, in answer to the OP's point....

1. I seem to recall Brad indicating money was of a 'single' currency, rather than many local ones.

2. Bank storage should be both limited and local. (AFAIK current 'thinking' by DEVs for now)

3. Alternate storage (for crafters etc) should exist to relieve pressure on banks

Evoras said:

It occurred to me that while most games had you put your gear (including crafting stuff) in your bank, this was merely for the sake of convenience. More bank spaces were easy to code and didn't require any changes in GUI, apart from perhaps creating bank tabs.

My suggestion is that you can store stuff in your bank if you like (ineffiicient for the crafter) or you can rent space in whichever NPC Trader/Crafter Guild you get access/affiliation with. Getting acceptance from them may require some work (crafting) for them, faction gains and/or payment. This would get you access to their storage facilities. How many slots etc would depend on faction, cost etc. but it could be a large number, dependent on the Village, Town or City size.

Indeed, unlike the regional banks, goods kept in a warehouse could, possibly, be moved by NPC carters from trader warehouse to trader warehoue. This would not be instant, but take many in-game days to accomplish dependent on distance to be travelled etc. It also would presume you have made contact with the destination town and got access to a crafter/trader warehouse there in advance. Thus crafters woulod need to travel to far off places and work (by crafting, faction, or payments) to gain access to their warehousing if they everwant to be able to move stuff across the owrld - or even store materials locally without filling up what little bank space they had!

This would avoid the overly-easy 'Crafting from stuff in my bank' as well as mitigate the 'trot back and forth a gazillion times from Bank<->craft-station' from EQ. It would also reduce the unequal burden felt by crafters on bank spaces. This would save players having to (typically) create multiple Alts as 'Bank' mules.

4. Mailing items should not be assumed as a de-facto 'standard'. Beware!

Bazgrim said:
    I do expect players to be able to mail items though. That's pretty standard for every game and I don't see a good reason why not to.

Unless constraints are put in place, mailing items acts to nullify all 'local' aspects of banking and trading.

Imagine 3 continental 'local' banks separated by vast distance and commensurate travel time:
    1. email items from local #1 to banker alt in local #3. Now my banks are no longer local.
    2. email items from local #1 to trader alt in local #2. Now my trading system is no longer local.
    3. email items from local #1 to new alt in local #3. Now 'travel time' is removed.

I could go on ... but ALL of these act to shrink the world and remove social interaction.

To summarize:
          The current plan, as far as we can tell from the hints and nuggets we get from Brad etc, is for a system of 'local' banks for item storage - with each 'local area' likely being an entire continent. From what little has been said about currency, it seems a single 'universal' money system is the current thinking - so no money changing required. No mention of 'shared bank' spaces yet, nor of 'mail' for items.
    However, for these last two, I would suggest extreme caution - giving these very close inspection before approval - as they are likely to create loopholes which will damage the size of the world and player interactions.

Evoras,  wonders who feeds all the pets left in bank storage... or cleans up the poop!

• 2886 posts
    April 10, 2017 6:18 AM PDT

Evoras said:

Bazgrim said:
    I do expect players to be able to mail items though. That's pretty standard for every game and I don't see a good reason why not to.

Unless constraints are put in place, mailing items acts to nullify all 'local' aspects of banking and trading.

Imagine 3 continental 'local' banks separated by vast distance and commensurate travel time:
    1. email items from local #1 to banker alt in local #3. Now my banks are no longer local.
    2. email items from local #1 to trader alt in local #2. Now my trading system is no longer local.
    3. email items from local #1 to new alt in local #3. Now 'travel time' is removed.

I could go on ... but ALL of these act to shrink the world and remove social interaction.

To summarize:
          The current plan, as far as we can tell from the hints and nuggets we get from Brad etc, is for a system of 'local' banks for item storage - with each 'local area' likely being an entire continent. From what little has been said about currency, it seems a single 'universal' money system is the current thinking - so no money changing required. No mention of 'shared bank' spaces yet, nor of 'mail' for items.
    However, for these last two, I would suggest extreme caution - giving these very close inspection before approval - as they are likely to create loopholes which will damage the size of the world and player interactions.

Evoras,  wonders who feeds all the pets left in bank storage... or cleans up the poop!

Yes, but I think the key would be to make it so that mailing is not entirely convenient. As you said, there would have to be constraints. It should take time to deliver a letter or package (i.e. pony express system) and it should also be fairly expensive, depending on the weight of the item you're mailing. Of course instantaneous global mailing would not be in line with more realistic localized banking and such. But mailing doesn't have to be instant. In fact, I don't think it should be.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 10, 2017 6:19 AM PDT
    • 19 posts
    April 10, 2017 6:26 AM PDT

There could be a large payment for inter-continental mailing as, essentially, you'd be paying a Wizard to teleport the Mail from one place to another. They could go one step further and make it a money earner for in-game Wizards and other PC's to become postal workers. Rewards for timely deliveries but if you log off and don't complete delivery,within say an hour, the mail gets delivered anyways.

• 3852 posts
    April 10, 2017 6:36 AM PDT

And if a dog bites you while making a delivery - and you kill it - half the normal xp and a hit to your professional reputation.

• 1468 posts
    April 11, 2017 1:58 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Evoras said:

Bazgrim said:

To summarize:

Yes, but I think the key would be to make it so that mailing is not entirely convenient. As you said, there would have to be constraints. It should take time to deliver a letter or package (i.e. pony express system) and it should also be fairly expensive, depending on the weight of the item you're mailing. Of course instantaneous global mailing would not be in line with more realistic localized banking and such. But mailing doesn't have to be instant. In fact, I don't think it should be.

It would be even better if you actually saw the pony move around the world that was delivering player gear to other mailboxes and for bonus points it would be even cooler still if the pony could be killed and players who sent mail on that pony would lose the items that they sent. That would mean using the mailbox system would be a real risk and that players may decide it would be safer to deliver the item themselves if it is was worth a lot of plat.

• 2886 posts
    April 11, 2017 6:42 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

Bazgrim said:

Evoras said:

Bazgrim said:

To summarize:

It would be even better if you actually saw the pony move around the world that was delivering player gear to other mailboxes and for bonus points it would be even cooler still if the pony could be killed and players who sent mail on that pony would lose the items that they sent. That would mean using the mailbox system would be a real risk and that players may decide it would be safer to deliver the item themselves if it is was worth a lot of plat.

Oh man, that's a tough one. I do like the idea, but I also know that people would totally camp out the mail routes and rob the carts all the time. Permanent item loss is such a significant penalty, there's almost no point in offering the service at all because no one would use it, even for small items. Paying plat and having to wait is probably enough of a price.

There would have to be a very in-depth crime system to make people think twice about taking the easy loot from the wagon. Or the wagons would have to be very heavily defended. If this were a PvP game, players would/should have an opportunity to defend the carts. But at that point, we're not even really talking about Pantheon anymore. I like the idea of seeing the wagon move throughout the world, but being able to actually attack it and take other's peoples items without them even being able to do anything about it does not really seem to fit in Pantheon imo. That gets complicated real fast with bordering on PvP and/or crime. A good idea, but not in this game haha.

• 1468 posts
    April 11, 2017 6:49 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Cromulent said:

Bazgrim said:

Evoras said:

Bazgrim said:

To summarize:

Oh man, that's a tough one. I do like the idea, but I also know that people would totally camp out the mail routes and rob the carts all the time. Permanent item loss is such a significant penalty, there's almost no point in offering the service at all because no one would use it, even for small items. Paying plat and having to wait is probably enough of a price.

There would have to be a very in-depth crime system to make people think twice about taking the easy loot from the wagon. Or the wagons would have to be very heavily defended. If this were a PvP game, players would/should have an opportunity to defend the carts. But at that point, we're not even really talking about Pantheon anymore. I like the idea of seeing the wagon move throughout the world, but being able to actually attack it and take other's peoples items without them even being able to do anything about it does not really seem to fit in Pantheon imo. That gets complicated real fast with bordering on PvP and/or crime. A good idea, but not in this game haha.

Oh I wasn't thinking of allowing players to attack the caravan. I was more thinking of roaming mobs that had a small percentage chance of coming in contact with the caravan. The caravan could have its own NPC guards and it would be random as to whether the mobs would destroy the caravan or the caravan guards would kill the mobs.

I was thinking of say a 5% to 10% chance that you lost the items you sent through the mail. Small enough so it was still worth using but the chance of losing your gear is big enough that you think twice before sending really expensive stuff through the mail system.

If your gear is lost you'd receive a letter from the post office saying that your gear had been lost so you knew what had happened.

Although given there are going to be PvP servers in this game it would be cool to have players defend the caravan and have opposing players trying to attack it. And because it would be defended by lots of players all trying to send their loot using it there would be an advantage to using it rather than trying to move the gear yourself on your own which would be more risky.

• 3016 posts
    April 11, 2017 10:30 AM PDT

Risingmist said:

I think shared banks would be a nice and/or a feature where we players can send messages and/or items via mail to other players and our alts. Some games have in game mailboxes that I think are soo...kewl. I deffinately don't want to be required trust other players who as Cromulent mentioned may rob me blind. 

This is the issue that concerns me too.   If we can have say 4 shared bank slots that would be sufficient I could organize with that. 

• 3016 posts
    April 11, 2017 10:31 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

Bazgrim said:

Evoras said:

Bazgrim said:

To summarize:

I could see that happening on a PVP ruleset server...then you have the opportunity to get revenge on the thief or thieves.  :)  The other thing (couple things actually) that occurred to me was,  WHY would anyone use such an unreliable system to send their goods?   Also if I had NO OTHER CHOICE,   I think I'd be rigging those ponies with things that people consider junk...you would have to camp all day and all night every day,  to actually hit the right pony with the goods that are valuable.  :P    Two can play that game.  :D

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at April 11, 2017 10:41 AM PDT
    • 323 posts
    April 11, 2017 10:59 AM PDT
    If packages are at risk of getting stolen or lost en route, then we'll need a system we can trust to verify that a package was actually sent. So we'll definitely need shipping receipts. But then we'll need a system for shipping shipping receipts. Maybe carrier pigeons? Please tell me the carrier pigeons cannot be shot from the sky.