Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Mounts persist after dismount?

• 432 posts
    April 5, 2017 12:09 PM PDT
    Hello all.
    Im mobile right now and was just pondering the thought of mounts persisting in the world after you get off their back.

Would they graze?
    do they need to stay close or risk being attacked?
    what happens to the items you store in them if orcs come by and pillage/attack your mounts?
    can some mounts defend themselves (and your baggage)

What are your thoughts on this. Pros and cons.

- sent via mobile
    -Todd
    • 2886 posts
    April 5, 2017 12:52 PM PDT

In short, yes.

"In many instances, you will not be able to descend into a dungeon while mounted on your horse, but if you dismount and order the horse to follow you (like a traditional pet), you’ll be able to enter the dungeon."

"Typically, a mount like a War Horse would both deal and receive damage."

See https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3448/pets-and-pantheon for more info.

Edit: also a lot of ideas here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2605/mounts

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 5, 2017 2:17 PM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    April 6, 2017 10:51 PM PDT

I'd like to see mounts be expendable. Not only should they be persistent, but should be capable of being incapacitated or killed requiring visits to the vet/stablemaster or a breeder for replacement. Mount maintenance and breeding are a huge source of potential noncombat gameplay.

This post was edited by Dullahan at April 6, 2017 10:51 PM PDT
    • 839 posts
    April 6, 2017 11:19 PM PDT

A big fan of this concept!

Fingers crossed

• 22 posts
    April 7, 2017 4:41 AM PDT

Dullahan said:

I'd like to see mounts be expendable. Not only should they be persistent, but should be capable of being incapacitated or killed requiring visits to the vet/stablemaster or a breeder for replacement. Mount maintenance and breeding are a huge source of potential noncombat gameplay.

I'd also like to see mounts affected by the planned weather system, certain mounts being very difficult or outright impossible to use in certain zones.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    April 7, 2017 1:28 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

In short, yes.

"In many instances, you will not be able to descend into a dungeon while mounted on your horse, but if you dismount and order the horse to follow you (like a traditional pet), you’ll be able to enter the dungeon."

See https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3448/pets-and-pantheon for more info.

Edit: also a lot of ideas here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2605/mounts

Disclaimer: We will have mounts for sure at launch, but the dismounting and mount combat may well be post-launch.  We also have to be careful about party size in dungeons, and by party I mean the players, their mounts, pets, etc.  There may be some limitations -- far too early to be sure.

• 1921 posts
    April 7, 2017 2:29 PM PDT

Aradune said: Disclaimer: We will have mounts for sure at launch, but the dismounting and mount combat may well be post-launch.  We also have to be careful about party size in dungeons, and by party I mean the players, their mounts, pets, etc.  There may be some limitations -- far too early to be sure.

Similar to optional client side visibility filters on appearance slots, do what other games have done:

Use client side optional visibility filters on pets and mounts.  That way, players play as they wish, and everyone wins. Want to have 4 non-combat pets following you? Go ahead.  If I don't want to see them, I turn it off and play happy.  If you are riding a warg and I hate wargs, I turn off mount visibility and play happy.

EQ2 had this and it was awesome.  I could even filter MY OWN mount, so it was never visible to me.  I would gain all the benefits of the mount, but the mount was never rendered on the screen for me, if that's how I wanted it.

• 2886 posts
    April 7, 2017 7:58 PM PDT

Aradune said:

Bazgrim said:

In short, yes.

Disclaimer: We will have mounts for sure at launch, but the dismounting and mount combat may well be post-launch.  We also have to be careful about party size in dungeons, and by party I mean the players, their mounts, pets, etc.  There may be some limitations -- far too early to be sure.

Good to know. Thanks for the clarification.

vjek said:

Aradune said: Disclaimer: We will have mounts for sure at launch, but the dismounting and mount combat may well be post-launch.  We also have to be careful about party size in dungeons, and by party I mean the players, their mounts, pets, etc.  There may be some limitations -- far too early to be sure.

Similar to optional client side visibility filters on appearance slots, do what other games have done:

Use client side optional visibility filters on pets and mounts.  That way, players play as they wish, and everyone wins. Want to have 4 non-combat pets following you? Go ahead.  If I don't want to see them, I turn it off and play happy.  If you are riding a warg and I hate wargs, I turn off mount visibility and play happy.

EQ2 had this and it was awesome.  I could even filter MY OWN mount, so it was never visible to me.  I would gain all the benefits of the mount, but the mount was never rendered on the screen for me, if that's how I wanted it.

I can't really agree with that if the things you're hiding affect gameplay. Hiding vanity pets totally makes sense, but mounts and combat pets doesn't make any sense. If a mount is granting you movement speed and you toggle the appearance off, would it just appear that the character is running really, really fast? I don't at all see how that's better than just the seeing the mount.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 7, 2017 8:02 PM PDT
    • 154 posts
    April 7, 2017 8:27 PM PDT

This is a kewl thread : ) I like it. Hmmm... I like the idea of mounts carrying things for characters. lol that's they're main function other than being ridden of course lol. Some have suggested that mounts also be able to fight for the character or in it's own defense, should NPCs attack them. That is also very kewl. I also think that if VR allows mounts to fight then it makes sense for them to be viable targets. In that case should a mount die it should require a rez to bring it back, after all a death is a death. I mean that we can't have it all lol, though being friends with a Cleric should help..../nudge...nudge.../wink...wink...

I hope "basic" mounts are available early on. Seems silly to me to wait until a specific lvl to get on, a basic one at any rate. Now that I think on it, I think it would be fun if somekind of taming trade/skill would exsist so players can tame/train and trade various beasties.The animal tamers were a fun addition to Star Wars Galaxies. Still...anything more than basic should be hard to aquire imho. Then again, I don't know what VR has in mind yet. I hope whatever VR does do about mounts is fun and engaging...then again I'm sure it will be...silly me. They are after all as the creators of Pantheon ahead of us by leaps and bounds lol. 

• 1921 posts
    April 7, 2017 9:43 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:I can't really agree with that if the things you're hiding affect gameplay. Hiding vanity pets totally makes sense, but mounts and combat pets doesn't make any sense. If a mount is granting you movement speed and you toggle the appearance off, would it just appear that the character is running really, really fast? I don't at all see how that's better than just the seeing the mount.

It's been like that in EQ1 & EQ2 for over 10 years, and in other MMO's as well.  The animations for "running really fast" are already done for movement speed buffs anyway, so there's no extra work.  Many players will be running around like this without mounts (spirit of wolf, spirit of cheetah, more), to say nothing of bards.

It also adds the additional feature of having non movement buffs from mounts, if that's desired.  Hiding other peoples combat pets (especially those not in your group) has no impact, if they're not in combat.  Same goes for ignored players, if desired.

• 159 posts
    April 8, 2017 12:05 AM PDT

I was just reading the latest replies in this topic and somethink clicked in my mind. In one of the gameplay videos we see the party climb out of a cave. By the way, my jaw dropped when I saw that - it's about time MMO players get the ability to climb obstacles, how odd was it that these uber-heroes were constantly blocked by chest-high walls?

Now, thinking about persistent mounts, how would that work? Would mounts be able to climb obstacles? That might make sense for a goat mount/pet, but less so for a horse or pack mule... Would you have to turn back to stable the mounts and return on foot? If you left the mounts at the base of the climb, would they still be there, unharmed and holding your stuff at a later time? Could you send them back so they'd move out of view and eventually despawn, later to be picked up at a stable (think Bill the Pony in LOTR)?

• 432 posts
    April 8, 2017 12:07 PM PDT

daemonios said:

I was just reading the latest replies in this topic and somethink clicked in my mind. In one of the gameplay videos we see the party climb out of a cave. By the way, my jaw dropped when I saw that - it's about time MMO players get the ability to climb obstacles, how odd was it that these uber-heroes were constantly blocked by chest-high walls?

Now, thinking about persistent mounts, how would that work? Would mounts be able to climb obstacles? That might make sense for a goat mount/pet, but less so for a horse or pack mule... Would you have to turn back to stable the mounts and return on foot? If you left the mounts at the base of the climb, would they still be there, unharmed and holding your stuff at a later time? Could you send them back so they'd move out of view and eventually despawn, later to be picked up at a stable (think Bill the Pony in LOTR)?

You know and those questions are why I made this thread. There's so much just on the topic of the mounts.

If mounts do run the risk of being hurt/killed, it creates a certain type of atmosphere to protect your property and family. You have to THINK about 'where' you are traveling to. It may be a good idea to use your mount to scout certain area's. If stables exist in certain area's mounts become a tool of transportation from one stable to another which might be kind of a teleport system. If you aren't using a stable wherever you and your friends parked your ponies you better fight near them or make sure you park them somewhere they could not be hurt.

Could you imagine?

Player 1: Hey Kyle can you go check if our mounts are ok?

Kyle: Sure! uh guys... a sand giant found that little crop of stone we parked our ponies under. They got squashed.

Then the party gripes about how much it will cost to replace the mount, etc, and players learn how important it is to protect their mounts and keep an eye on them. How much of a punishment would it be to 'WALK' back instead of using your mount to ride fast. and then pay to have the mount rez'd (if possible) or repurchasing a mount.

Thanks Brad for comin' by

This is a fun thought for the backburner for sure!

-Todd