Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Commitment

• 3852 posts
    March 5, 2017 3:46 PM PST

This isn't EQ. This isn't WoW. This is Pantheon. Gods willing we will have good things from EQ and skip some of the...less good things. And nostalgia aside there WERE quite a few less good things. Gods willing we will have good things from WoW too - and there WERE quite a few good things (such as a nice variety of starting areas and backstories). And skip many of the less good things and there were oh so many of those as well.

Almost all of us want the feel of EQ and/or Vanguard and not the feel of WoW. And I think that is exactly what we will get.

• 107 posts
    March 5, 2017 4:42 PM PST

I hope they ratchet up the difficulty.

• 1584 posts
    March 5, 2017 5:38 PM PST

The Video i saw where the developers were like 13 i tihnk they said and were fighting a dungeon boss and obviouslythey knew how to fihgt him since they made him and still died getting to him and lost there tank actually fighting him was good news to me on the difficulty side, granted they were only 13 so obviously the difficulty i imagine will only raise from that once you get higher andhigher so i really hope they keep up the good work and keep the videos coming :)

• 399 posts
    March 5, 2017 9:19 PM PST

In essence I see validity in both views. 

However, if I were to make a Druid or a Wizard and had the ability to port, and these classes were depended on by many to get them close to the zones they needed to be, I would not want all of a sudden at level 60, everyone have this ability (a la POK in eq) and as such have a major, class defining ability eliminated. 

I did like the campfire and guild banner idea. 

• 668 posts
    March 5, 2017 10:52 PM PST

I think the campfire idea was outstanding and it sounded like it may have caught some tranction...  Never know.

I think this game will have a lot of different playstyles for many people.  No one will really know how it truly is though until we test the game during beta and see for ourselves.  The world itself looks amazing so far.  There is so much to offer that if you don't like a certain aspect of the game, don't do it...  There will be plenty to offer the way I see it.

• 3852 posts
    March 6, 2017 8:23 AM PST

LOTRO gave hunters the ability to port groups as well as themselves and allowed them to bind at campfires. Made the class very valued. Later on as they reduced the difficulty of the game over and over this became less valuable - every Tom, Dick and Sally had various ways to get to places easily. Just what Durp says.  I am no fan of making travel too easy. A few hubs here or there with public transportation, a few campfires here or there, and you have a nice balance.

• 85 posts
    March 6, 2017 8:42 AM PST
    Well as for travel and getting to a group etc, I am all for the time investment.

As for the buying and selling bit, East Commons was a bit annoying... And a bit awesome. I like auction houses, because I would rather be out being a hero rather than playing merchant.

But wandering around EC was very similar to the experience of wandering through an open air market. I definitely get why a design decision would be made in favor of that experience.
    • 3016 posts
    March 6, 2017 10:19 AM PST

Xaleban said:

kellindil said:

This isn't EQ. 

Its always so easy to distinguish new schoolers from old schoolers or rather easy mode from hard mode. The new schoolers always say ''This isnt EQ'' and the old school (/respect) say ''This aint WoW.'' Well I hate to burst your bubble but this game is basically EQ and VG mixed in a bowl then baked and served. So you are partly right but mostly wrong. I just dont understand why people who are fans of this game, which is supposed to bring hard mode back, want so much easy mode. I keep hearing the argument of '' I dont have the time like I did back then.'' Let me tell you something about that. If this game is what its supposed to be people will find the time. None of us really ever had the time but we made the time. I cant tell you how many times back in the day someone would say '' I will join but I only have an hour or 2.'' Then it turns into 5 or 6 hours or even all night. If the game is fun and exciting people will put in the time. Its just how it is. I know there are some of us who live different lives now and actually cant put that kind of time in. But for everyone of those will be just as many who have never experienced something like this who will be able to. I started playing Project 99 a few years ago after a couple old guildess from back in the day asked me to try it. Next thing I know I have 5 lev 60s and am waking up to 4am batphones to kill Naggy or VP dragons. I didnt have the time either.

The Devs aren't wanting us to spend horrible amounts of time doing things.  This is true.   My view is..if you want to play this game,  then you plan your time accordingly.   "Honey ..its Saturday I am going to put 2 or 3 hours into Pantheon"   - example.      Agree with you Kellindil.      I don't want to see this game dumbed down and become easy mode,  because some voices say they "don't have time".     I won't be on every minute of the day.     So I plan what I am going to do.   Grouping request comes up,   I drop my crafting, exploring, socializing and I do that.    This game will be for those who WANT TO PLAY it..not for the others that want everything easy mode.   There are a few hundred themepark games out there already.    This will be a challenging game that requires thought and planning to get things done.    This is the game that we old schoolers have been missing all these years.     Risk vs reward.   Excitement, challenge, danger...the THINKING gamer's game.    That's why I am here, that's why I paid to become a VIP.