Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Bag space, key rings and inventory maintenance

This topic has been closed.
    • 441 posts
    February 8, 2017 6:00 AM PST

From watching game play and reading the FAQ. I see bag space will become something we need to keep on top of. Situational gear, quest items and keys. Plus, all the normal stuff. Crafting gear, grey loot etc. Weapons for different types of mobs or area color mana. My question to you.

Do you want to see a key ring? That’s where keys and idols and the like that gain you access to places are kept in a bag that has no end but also takes up on space in your common bag.

Do you want to see a quest item tab in your bags? Where again quest items fill this quest item bag space, has no end to what it can hold and keeps your common bag space free.

Nothing worse then having to delete a key to make room for something only to later having to go get that ring again to help a friend. Also, the clutter, keeping inventory organized is not a fun thing to do. The more the game dose that for you the better. No one likes spending 30 min every night after teaming cleaning and organizing your bags. Keeping this to a minimal really adds more enjoyment of gaming. What do you think?

This post was edited by Nanfoodle at February 8, 2017 6:02 AM PST
    • 41 posts
    February 8, 2017 6:04 AM PST

Bag space is always an issue and I have no issues with key rings or dedicated quest item storage that doesn't count against regular storage.

• 187 posts
    February 8, 2017 6:13 AM PST

I don't want to see infinite bags for anything. If one were made, only the keyring, definitely not the quest items. The management of inventory and bank space is part of the experience. Having infinite bags or boxes detracts from that factor, plus it can only be explained with, "Well, it's magic, you know."

In particular, with them attempting to decrease the "questy" nature of quests, I'm hoping there won't be tons of quest items for the same quest that spans 8 zones and 15 dungeons. Without the need to keep quest items for 3 years each, an infinite bag shouldn't be needed.

• 556 posts
    February 8, 2017 6:32 AM PST

Key rings should definitely not take bag space. As it stands I am fully expecting us to need various gear sets which is already bad when you know we will have weight limits. Adding more limitations by making quest items and keys take up space (and weight) just adds to that already strained burden.

• 97 posts
    February 8, 2017 7:35 AM PST

Keyring definitely if for no other reason than it simply allows infinitely more locked doors in the game. Imagine old-style EQ where you had to have each key physically on hand, if there were dozens or even hundreds of them... would be impossible.

As for a "quest item" bag.... I definitely like the idea, but i don't want it to be infinite. Possibly a dedicated magical quest item bag that is 20 slots (or roughly 2-3 times larger than whatever the "standard" bag size is), 100% WR, fits all items. Still make your every day run-of-the-mill bags limited to 8 slots, no WR or minimal WR for magical bags, may not hold huge items etc. I'd like the same thing for tradeskill components, a large capacity bag but you can only put tradeskill items in there.

This allows you to stash quest/tradeskill items without giving up too much valuable space for real loot.

• 441 posts
    February 8, 2017 7:47 AM PST

I also like the bag for quest items, just so you know right away the item you got was a quest item. Saves you from deleting them by mistake. Great sugestions so far =-)

• 780 posts
    February 8, 2017 7:48 AM PST

I'm all for a keyring that doesn't need to take up inventory space.  I don't really want a quest item bag, though.  I don't think the team is planning on having it so items tell us they are for quests, anyway.  We're supposed to figure that out on our own, I believe.

• 7 posts
    February 8, 2017 8:58 AM PST

I think the key ring idea is great, and has been working in games for years now, so it would be weird if they didn't do it.

The problem I see with a quest bag, is that everyone is going to just grab every quest item on a drop even if they don’t need it. This would devalue quest items and negatively impact the community. Don't get me wrong this is a good idea, for a game that would be more quest based where you are sent on fetch quest after fetch quest, but I don't think it would work for Pantheon. 

While we are on the topic of bags... I always thought diablo had a great inventory system that took into account volume of items. It would be neat to see that as well as weight restrictions to really throw on the immersion.

This post was edited by hammerton at February 8, 2017 8:59 AM PST
    • 169 posts
    February 8, 2017 9:24 AM PST

Bag space is relative to the game you are playing.  

If you have a game where lots of items drop or you can pick up lots of items you need some time of sorting option available IMO because going through many different items over and over again is fairly tedious.

If you have a game where there isn't a lot of loot constantly dropping managing your inventory manually isn't really that bad.

There are ups and downs to having a lot of bag space and again it's relative to how much is dropping.  Sometimes it's better to have a smaller bag space so that you only pick up what is most valuable.  Having the same items stack on top of each other helps a lot.

• 422 posts
    February 8, 2017 11:19 AM PST

I am a fan of limited bag space. I don't really want to see a key ring or quest bag. Grabbing a needed key before you go out for a raid or hit a specific dungeon with friends is just being prepared. Grab it from the bank. Quest items should take up regular bag space. 

• 213 posts
    February 8, 2017 11:40 AM PST

I'm personally for the keyring.  To be honest guys, for those of you against it... Remember how much situational gear we will already be carrying to battle the harsh climates and other things the devs have mentioned.  Think of the poor monks!  :).  

• 9115 posts
    February 8, 2017 4:44 PM PST

We actually already have a few topics on this folks, please direct your replies over to an already existing thread as I will now need to close this one for duplicate reasons.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3966/keys-and-bags/view/post_id/62950 - Keys and Bags

Please use the search function prior to creating a new thread as more often than not, you will find that you idea/suggestion/topic has already been discussed in the past few years of development on these forums. :)