Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Sit to Meditate?

This topic has been closed.
    • 36 posts
    January 31, 2017 8:49 PM PST

I was watching a stream with CohhCarnage and I noticed something.  I saw the casters sitting while they were fighting.  Just another thing that reminds me of EQ which on one hand is great, I loved that game. But, is that really what's going to happen? 

First, it just seems silly to me the idea of teammates going wild in a 'vicious' melee while someone is sitting there on their butts waiting. Is it possible to get a different animation for meditating than sitting?  I'm thinking something like perhaps a druid putting their arms out and gathering bits of energy from the ground.  Clerics perhaps putting their hands together to pray. Wizards and Enchanters maybe levitating slightly off the ground in a sort of stance to signify charging their power.  Just ideas, but basically making it seem more immersive, more charging their power rather than lounging around while others get ripped appart and slash away with their swords and axes. 

So there was that concern watching it, but there was also a second, if casters are going to be sitting there for seconds at a time, how active is the combat? I know Pantheon isn't going to be as active as many other current games, and that's fine, actually refreshing in some ways, but if it's the same pace as old EQ that just seems too slow.  I believe it was stated that the game would be active enough that we wouldn't be boxing multiple characters to create our own parties and get things done.  If sitting for a few seconds between activities as casters is how it will be done I'm not sure that goal will be met.  So that's just a concern I have seeing that stream, I hope I'm wrong but I wanted to put it out there. 

Now last is just another thought I had with regards to meditate.  My thought is making it an active choice, have varying meditation options.  The idea being something like you have meditation and enlightenment.  Meditation would increase your mana regeneration by X over the time it's active, normal 'sitting'.  Enlightenment would be increasing your mana regeneration by X/2 for however long but with a burst of mana at the end.  The idea being that meditating becomes a bit more active in that you have to anticipate the amount of time you have available. Say it's 5s long, if  you think you can take that time you'll have gotten more mana, if you have to cancel it to cast a heal or mez then you'll be at a loss compared to normal meditate.  Just something to spice the dead period up a little. 

Anyways, just some thoughts I had, not sure if it's been discussed already but I did search meditate and didn't see anything.  So sorry if this isn't the right place, my bad. 

• 333 posts
    January 31, 2017 9:09 PM PST

It is better then having the fricken book stuck in front of you :)

• 839 posts
    January 31, 2017 9:54 PM PST

Had a discussion about meditating animations etc, might end up being directed to this one...  

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3596/sitting-quot-medding-quot-vs-animations/view/page/1

Will be interesting to see which way they end up going! It seems like your reasons here are backed by others too on this thread mate.  It ended up changing my opinion after this discussion from a sitter to a non sitter!  wouldnt be massively worried either way though

This post was edited by Hokanu at January 31, 2017 9:59 PM PST
    • 36 posts
    January 31, 2017 10:10 PM PST

Thanks, didn't think to search for 'medding', oops. Had a feeling it would have been discussed. Thanks again. 

• 839 posts
    January 31, 2017 10:51 PM PST

No probs bud, Jump in on the discussion and bring it back to the front page of the forum, its one that i think lots of newer people would like to chime in on too!

• 9115 posts
    February 1, 2017 1:32 AM PST

Hokanu said:

Had a discussion about meditating animations etc, might end up being directed to this one...  

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3596/sitting-quot-medding-quot-vs-animations/view/page/1

Will be interesting to see which way they end up going! It seems like your reasons here are backed by others too on this thread mate.  It ended up changing my opinion after this discussion from a sitter to a non sitter!  wouldnt be massively worried either way though

Thank you mate :)

As Hokanu kindly pointed out, we have a few threads on this topic, which can be easily found by using the search function, if you are ever unsure just type a few keywords into the search bar and check before making a new post as we try to keep topics consolidated and easy to find for myself and the devs :)

I will go ahead and close this one now but feel free to join the older topic linked in Hokanus post, I would rather necroing than new threads started on the same thing :)

P.S. We are still working on combat, regen and medding etc. it will be something we get feedback from you all on during testing.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at February 1, 2017 1:33 AM PST