Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Famous? or Infamous?

This topic has been closed.
    • 168 posts
    January 31, 2017 10:05 AM PST

Hey guys!

While reading over some posts about the LFG system I thought of an interesting way to handle this using a light-weight structure.

How to Vote:

Using the proven "Like" or "Dislike" structure from social media we can allow players to vote "Thumbs Up" or "Thumbs Down" on a player by selecting them and clicking the appropriate button in the target window. I believe this will also tie in wonderfully with the player driven Karma system that has been talked about when regarding KSing and such. Players will only be allowed to vote on each person the encounter once within a set time frame.

Why have this system?

People are always looking for ways to control the situation and get immediate feedback on complaints. This system would alliviate the stress of many upset users as they can simply thumbs down someone that is causing them strife. While the thumbs down may not have any visual affect (or does it!?) the player will rest easy knowing they have just made a little harder for the offending player interact with parts of the world and community. This would also cut down on the number of petitions needing answering and let the devs and other focus on the development and improvement of the game.

How Thumbs Up affect you:

• Getting many thumbs up by players shows other players that you are reliable, friendly or excel at your class.
    • Multiple Thumbs up could potentially affect: Prices at, or access to, certain vendors or content, Community Ranking, LFG Priority, Friend suggestions/management
    • While having many thumbs up might show the community people generally like you, it could also show the NPCs that you are a do-gooder. So, evil-aligned NPCs may turn on you, while good-aligned NPCs show you gratitude.

How Thumbs Down affect you:

• Getting many thumbs down by players shows other players that you are ruthless, unreliable or dastardly.
    • Multiple Thumbs down could potentially affect: Prices at, or access to, certain vendors or content, Community Ranking, LFG Priority, Friend suggestions/management
    • While having many thumbs down might show the cummunity that people generally find you repulsive, it could show theh NPCs that you chaotic or evil-natured. So, evil-aligned NPCs may respect you, while good-aligned NPCs may try to attack you.

What does all this mean for the player?

The various combinations of thumbs up and thumbs down could align the person to be good, neutral, evil, lawful, or chaotic. For example; having 1000 thumbs up and only 10 thumbs down may show you to be a very honorable and kind player who cares about the well-being and opinions of those around him (Good), while having 500 thumbs up and 500 thumbs down may show that you seem to do some good but also do heartless or cruel things often (Chaotic). These factions could inherently allow the players to create guilds, groups, ect. of like alignments (leading to guild wars in the future? maybe?). If a player wishes to be evil all they has to do is be evil. If a player wants to be good they just have to be good. There are countless possibilities opened by allowing the players to control the faction of other players.

Decay:

To manage the outrageous number of votes going through due to the huge player base, there are a couple ways this system can be limited to allow recovery or redemption. 

1. Limit the max votes to a certain number and any new vote would replace the oldest.
    2. Put a time limit on the votes so that they only last a certain time. (huge overhead)
    3. Make 1 vote disappear every delta t.
    4. limit the max of each type of vote. Any vote beyond the cap would simply reduce the opposite vote by 1 until it reaches 0.

There is obviously way more to this system (the specifics) than people care to read. If you have any suggestions about this and how we could turn it into something workable in Pantheon please dont hesitate to reply!

• 411 posts
    January 31, 2017 10:12 AM PST

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3134/in-game-reputation-system

This type of system has already been discussed and there are some STRONG feelings on either side. Good luck if you care to revisit this thread. :)

• 2752 posts
    January 31, 2017 10:29 AM PST

Eh, mark me in the camp against it. I'd prefer this type of thing to not be present, it's bad enough every site on the internet is begging for likes/upvotes. Whenever there is community rankings, it's an invitation for manipulation. Many times you might find yourself in a group of dicks or a friend group of trolls that give you thumbs down for no good reason, and playing your class well is somewhat subjective. Few people take responsibility for group wipes etc and people having a bad day tend to play the blame game, healer didn't do his job or enchanter sucked at mez, even when it was the accusor who broke mez and walked around the corner chaining in an add. 

• 333 posts
    January 31, 2017 10:31 AM PST

Against , any system that allows a person to "mark" another toon in game is bad.

I can already see people down voting solid players just because there denied a group or are removed because of performance.

• 168 posts
    January 31, 2017 10:40 AM PST

Ainadak said:

This type of system has already been discussed and there are some STRONG feelings on either side. Good luck if you care to revisit this thread. :)

Ah thanks Ainadak I didn't see that thread. I see this has discussed in great detail. There are so many pros and cons to consider.

• 2886 posts
    January 31, 2017 10:43 AM PST

"WTB upvotes 5 gp each"

... and you know people would totally do it too. Press a button and get 5 gold essentially for free? Instantly undermines the integrity of the system. It's one thing if it was nothing more than a rough gauge of whether or not someone is a troll. But if it actually has a direct affect on in-game prices, NPC faction, etc... no way.

I stand by my original suggestion of "SHOW ME THE CHARFAX!"... a VR-run system that allows the players to view a read-only history of a character showing when that toon was created and only certain notable events such as suspensions, bans, name changes, server changes, tournament wins, etc. Not a popularity contest. Just a pure chronological record of important facts.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 31, 2017 10:45 AM PST
    • 116 posts
    January 31, 2017 10:55 AM PST

I mean, I see the attraction on some level, but I also see a huge vector for abuse, not to mention a fine way to introduce a means of discrimination (aka GearScore lite).  I just feel like this kind of system would cause so much of a burden in dev time trying to prevent abuse that it could hold up other, game features that may encourage more social play.

I could see it being part of a third party website though.

• 422 posts
    January 31, 2017 1:17 PM PST

I can't get behind this. There is too much room for abuse.

• 610 posts
    January 31, 2017 1:21 PM PST

No no no no no no no

Oh hell no

• 1303 posts
    January 31, 2017 1:33 PM PST

Yeah, count me in the "no" group. Reputation shoud be meaningful but based on personal experience. Not the say-so of others.

• 39 posts
    January 31, 2017 1:59 PM PST

This is so complicated to do correct and not necessary. 

A community that needs such a system is already broken!

• 542 posts
    January 31, 2017 2:36 PM PST

Thumbs up/down would allow other players to shift my alignment ? that makes me a sad fluffy :'-(

Fingers crossed with open world dungeons we can finally drop groupfinder

Never should other players have influence over the price vendors charge for someone

It is a nono,me no likyyy :-(

This post was edited by Fluffy at January 31, 2017 2:37 PM PST
    • 157 posts
    January 31, 2017 4:12 PM PST

That Black Mirror episode comes to mind.. what a freakshow.

• 9115 posts
    January 31, 2017 5:14 PM PST

Ainadak said:

Thank you Ainadak :)

I will go ahead and close this thread now, please use the search function prior to creating a new thread as more often than not you will find it has already been discussed.

We are not considering any kind of system where players vote or judge/rate each other, you will just have to use the add friend/block/mute/report features and your good old trusty notebook next to your PC or notepad++ on your PC to write down the names of people you like and dislike.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at January 31, 2017 5:16 PM PST