Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Quaternity

This topic has been closed.
    • 3237 posts
    January 26, 2017 5:34 PM PST

My understanding of the Quaternity is that there will be 4 major archetypes:  Tank, Healer, DPS, Control

The only class that clearly fits in the Control archetype right now is Enchanter.  In saying such, I imagine that enchanters will be one of the most sought after classes in the game.  If every "ideal" group has at least one character for each of the major archetypes, that places a much higher demand on enchanters than any other class.  If I had to guess, I would say that bard would also fall into the Control archetype, and that would help alleviate some of the burden placed on the enchanter community.  Either way, in saying such, I imagine that having the bard class added to the game prior to launch is of paramount importance.  Even then, the ratio would still be 3/3/5/2.  For all the bard mains out there ... this is good news!

Discuss.

• 159 posts
    January 26, 2017 5:44 PM PST

Crowd control isn't just mesmerized/charmed mobs.  Rooting away from the group, quality pulling to control incoming mobs, snaring and kiting an add until the group is ready for it, all count as crowd control as well.  Offtanking can even count as crowd control if done reliably.   The summoned barriers summoners are said to have, cleric shield wall will be forms of cc. 

There's many options, depending on the situation at hand.

(Edit to add that we have no word on the summoner pets...There may be a mez pet like the metaphysicist had in anarchy online for instance)

This post was edited by Xilshale at January 26, 2017 5:46 PM PST
    • 220 posts
    January 26, 2017 5:47 PM PST

I would argue that monks are a CC class (if they get feign death) as a phenomenal puller could make a chanter useless. 

• 2419 posts
    January 26, 2017 6:04 PM PST

oneADseven said:

My understanding of the Quaternity is that there will be 4 major archetypes:  Tank, Healer, DPS, Control

The only class that clearly fits in the Control archetype right now is Enchanter.  In saying such, I imagine that enchanters will be one of the most sought after classes in the game.  If every "ideal" group has at least one character for each of the major archetypes, that places a much higher demand on enchanters than any other class.  If I had to guess, I would say that bard would also fall into the Control archetype, and that would help alleviate some of the burden placed on the enchanter community.  Either way, in saying such, I imagine that having the bard class added to the game prior to launch is of paramount importance.  Even then, the ratio would still be 3/3/5/2.  For all the bard mains out there ... this is good news!

Discuss.

I'll reiterate what was said above, we know next to nothing about the crowd control options available so don't leap to such conclusions so quickly.  'Controlling' an NPC can be handled so many different ways, some of which have been mentioned yet other are still out there waiting to be revealed.  Even when we know them all, some crafty players will devise very creative applications and give us whole new things to think about.

• 243 posts
    January 26, 2017 6:06 PM PST

I would imagine that the Bard, when released, will be another decent CC class.  That said, the game is a bit light on the CC side, so I would not be suprised if we find that another class has more CC abilities than traditionally done in other games.  We as a group tend to have preconceptions about which class will do what, as well as many other aspects of the game because of our previous experiences.  It would not suprise me to see many differences in VR's interpretation.  One example is Halflings, where there has been discussion of how they "should" be vs how VR has interpreted them.  I for one am excited to see a bit of change here and there.

• 3237 posts
    January 26, 2017 6:06 PM PST

While I see several classes having some form of CC, none of them will be able to use it as consistently or dependably as enchanters. All of your examples included a class that will already fall into a separate archetype. Rangers might be considered a DPS/Control hybrid I suppose, but the off tank will still be considered a tank and the cleric a healer. I would like to see more information on what exactly the quaternity is, and how it affects the classes/roles. Will each class be more or less confined to fulfill only one of the 4 major quaternity roles? How will other roles fit into that concept such as buffing and debuffing? I would imagine these would be more accurately described as a minor role since buffs and debuffs will likely be spread out across most classes. When I think of enchanter and bard though ... I don't just think of control. I view them as more of an "Enhancer" ... I have seen the term Quaternity used several times and I am just wondering if it has an official designation or purpose in the game, or if it's more of an unofficial way to describe the 4 major roles. And with all of that being said ... what about the Enhancer role? Is that not going to be a major role in the game? Or would bards just kind of get tossed into the Control role like enchanter?

This post was edited by oneADseven at January 26, 2017 6:14 PM PST
    • VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    January 26, 2017 6:33 PM PST

As many have surmised, the Enchanter will not be the only class with CC.

• 780 posts
    January 26, 2017 7:04 PM PST

Aradune said:

Excellent.  I'm hoping druids have more CC in PRF than they generally have in the past.  Willing to sacrifice damage and/or heal quality for it.

• 22 posts
    January 26, 2017 7:25 PM PST

Xilshale said:

Crowd control isn't just mesmerized/charmed mobs.  Rooting away from the group, quality pulling to control incoming mobs, snaring and kiting an add until the group is ready for it, all count as crowd control as well.  Offtanking can even count as crowd control if done reliably.   The summoned barriers summoners are said to have, cleric shield wall will be forms of cc. 

There's many options, depending on the situation at hand.

(Edit to add that we have no word on the summoner pets...There may be a mez pet like the metaphysicist had in anarchy online for instance)

I would agree with Xil. We haven't seen what the other classes have instore for CC and where they will fall in the 4 main roles. Additionally, you have to take in account the player's skill lvl with their particular class as some classes will more than likely be able to fill different roles depending the group make up. Historically, Enchanters and Bards have been used a CC class but they also play different roles.

• 323 posts
    January 26, 2017 8:03 PM PST
    Thanks for the confirmation, Aradune!

Now we can speculate in a slightly narrower range ...
    • 284 posts
    January 26, 2017 8:14 PM PST

Remember that one of their key words is "Encounter Control" too. I believe they meant it in context as revolving around climate-based manipulation, but I don't see why classes couldn't expand that definition. In FFXI for example, the Thief job (analogous as you can imagine to a rogue) didn't have CC per se, but did have a wealth of abilties that could manipulate the amount of threat someone had, including adding the threat of their next attack to a particular player or sieving threat from one player to another. I think such forms of soft non-dps skills could be reasonably added to classes repetoires to embellish their particular niches.

Stretching the idea of "Control" further, I imagine you could justifiably put primarily buffer-type classes, such as bards, into that category. Personally I'm hoping they iterate on this niche further with later class releases (assuming they have any).

• 97 posts
    January 26, 2017 8:41 PM PST

Shucklighter said:

Aradune said:

Excellent.  I'm hoping druids have more CC in PRF than they generally have in the past.  Willing to sacrifice damage and/or heal quality for it.

Am I curious abut druid role.  Will it definately be a healer?  VG was more of a dps role.  I know it will have healing abilities, but I am skeptical about its archeotype as a healing class. 

• 169 posts
    January 26, 2017 8:53 PM PST

Druid can be CC.  They had harmony outdoors, snare, and root.  I'm hoping they have a variety of abilities.  Likely they could fill in as a few different roles if needed.

It sounds like Bard will eventually come to the game.  They will be a cc class.

Necromancer didn't have much roles in a group in early EQ.  I could see cc fitting with their class.

Rangers and Dire Lords might have some good cc.

• 3237 posts
    January 26, 2017 8:53 PM PST

Cleric:  Healer / Support

Shaman:  Healer / Support

Rogue:  Melee DPS / Support

Who can guess what these 3 classes have in common that qualify each of them as a Support?

• 159 posts
    January 26, 2017 8:57 PM PST

Gragorie said:

Am I curious abut druid role.  Will it definately be a healer?  VG was more of a dps role.  I know it will have healing abilities, but I am skeptical about its archeotype as a healing class. 

Based off the blurb for each class on pantheonmmo.com and the fact shaman have been revealed as healer, I'm basically expecting crusader (former cleric turned martial) to be a (melee) healer along with cleric and shaman, leaving druid as a cc (thru climate control)/DMG class.   And I'm really hoping I'm right on this theory.

This post was edited by Xilshale at January 26, 2017 9:02 PM PST
    • 97 posts
    January 26, 2017 9:15 PM PST

Xilshale said:

Gragorie said:

Based off the blurb for each class on pantheonmmo.com and the fact shaman have been revealed as healer, I'm basically expecting crusader (former cleric turned martial) to be a (melee) healer along with cleric and shaman, leaving druid as a cc (thru climate control)/DMG class.   And I'm really hoping I'm right on this theory.

I do as well.  I see it being more of a pet type class (charming and summoning animals outdoors), roots, and snares (aoe?))  It could be a very fun class to play.  I never even considered crusader being a melee type healer.  That is an interesting thought.

This post was edited by Gragorie at January 26, 2017 9:18 PM PST
    • 1860 posts
    January 26, 2017 9:18 PM PST

We know the cleric ability Pillar Shield will offer a form of CC.  We also know that summoner will be able to Conjure Barricades that we can surmise will be another form of CC similar to Pillar Shield.

Who knows what else there will be but it seems like there are already a couple other forms of CC available even with our very limited info.

This post was edited by philo at January 26, 2017 9:26 PM PST
    • 393 posts
    January 26, 2017 9:39 PM PST

Xilshale said:

Gragorie said:

I hope your wrong about that. It just doesn't make sense that a former Cleric, now tank, is a healer.

Also, Summoner can create barricades so there seems to be some CC with that class.

• 1778 posts
    January 26, 2017 10:30 PM PST

Yea Im gonna vote Druid as well as a DPS/CC/Support.

Either that or they will blindside us with something unexpected like Monk as a DPS/CC. Solid damage, FD, and immobilizing attacks (axe kick: stun, Chi blast: Knock Out, Knee Kick: cripple, Leg Sweep: knock down).

• 97 posts
    January 26, 2017 10:45 PM PST

OakKnower said:

Xilshale said:

Gragorie said:

I hope your wrong about that. It just doesn't make sense that a former Cleric, now tank, is a healer.

Also, Summoner can create barricades so there seems to be some CC with that class.

Once a Cleric, the Crusader has a call transcending the customs of the Cleric Order. Led by her convictions, she sets off to carry out her own righteous judgment.

This never states crusader is a tank, just not following the customs of the cleric.  Could mean she wants an alternate way to heal.  In any case, its fun to speculate. 

• 393 posts
    January 27, 2017 12:55 AM PST

Gragorie said:

OakKnower said:

Xilshale said:

Gragorie said:

Once a Cleric, the Crusader has a call transcending the customs of the Cleric Order. Led by her convictions, she sets off to carry out her own righteous judgment.

This never states crusader is a tank, just not following the customs of the cleric.  Could mean she wants an alternate way to heal.  In any case, its fun to speculate. 

I totally get it. I'm planning on rolling a Druid and well, my hopes are on heals/support/CC. Rather than DPS/CC/support.

• 9115 posts
    January 27, 2017 2:03 AM PST

Folks, we already have a thread titled "Quaternity" with two pages of discussion, please continue in that thread.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4623/quaternity

Please
    also avoid creating a new thread until you have used the search function to look for any possible threads already created about the topic you have in mind, I found that original thread by simply typing "Quaternity" into the search bar, it really is that easy.

This thread will now be closed.