Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Shiny Collections?

• 1618 posts
    December 11, 2016 1:42 PM PST

Maybe my search failed, but I don't see any mention of shiny collections, like in EQ2. I loved that system and earned/spent a lot of play through it. Any plans?

• 131 posts
    December 11, 2016 1:48 PM PST

I think shineys are something that are specific to EQ2.  Being that they are drawing heavily off EQ1 and VG I would doubt it....at least I have heard no mention.

That being said, I love shineys too - would love to see them in Terminus!  Or perhaps something similar yet unique to Pantheon.  Rather see that than the cosmetic pets that are planned =/

~MINX

This post was edited by MINX at December 11, 2016 1:49 PM PST
    • 188 posts
    December 11, 2016 1:52 PM PST

Since housing won't make it in until after launch, my guess is this type of feature, if intended, won't see the light of day until then either.  Many of the rewards from the collectables in EQ2 were housing related.  Doesn't mean they would have to be in Pantheon, but it would be an easy transition.  

I agree about the desirability of the system, though.  It was definitely an alternate way to spend time and to move money in the economy.  As a completionist it would frequently dictate where I wanted to play in my solo time, and would give me something to do to fill gaps in play sessions.

• 76 posts
    December 11, 2016 3:57 PM PST

An idea for this, just off the top of my head mind you.

in the future prehaps merge the idea of shinys with the perseption system to give small lore hints about the zone you are in (and housing when it comes in ofc). stories or somthing like that, i would love to prehaps see a system for lore hounds that felt a bit more like the WoW archiology system (without the massive negatives to that system, i liked it though) .

i know this wont give the same feel as the eq2 system as that nice early bit of loot was fun to get but i don't think anyone wants loot handed out like that from the sound of it. 

edit

a bit more clarity to this idea, when i played wow i was one of the few people who liked that system. i adored getting any little bit of lore i could squease out of the game and even the fluff text on a mummied troll hand was somthing i loved. 

This post was edited by Akailo at December 11, 2016 3:59 PM PST
    • 334 posts
    December 11, 2016 4:46 PM PST

Just because this game is drawing primarily from EQ and Vanguard, I don't see why it can't pull inspiration from other games as well! Shineys were probably one of my favorite little things from EQ2, would LOVE to see them in Pantheon in some form.

• 1434 posts
    December 11, 2016 5:18 PM PST

Please, no.

• 633 posts
    December 11, 2016 5:21 PM PST

I like the idea of getting collectibles like that, but I would like them to be a little more than just clicking a question mark on the ground.  It would be cooler if you entered a grove where a lot of butterflies are, and you could collect them.  Then you could collect butterflies from other areas of Terminus.  Eventually you could get a complete collection.  Stuff like that.

• 188 posts
    December 11, 2016 5:26 PM PST

Certainly - the mechanic of picking them up is not important, and I like the idea of it being an extension of the perception system.  The draw for me is having a non-combat related activity that appeals to collectors and completionists.  There's probably a thousand different ways you could do that.

• 633 posts
    December 11, 2016 5:28 PM PST

The nice thing about something like that is it is something that can be added post release without effecting general gameplay (such as balance and stuff).

• 334 posts
    December 11, 2016 5:31 PM PST

@Hannar

Great idea, it is a perfect compliment to the perception system, and there could be collectables in low level zones that require super high level perception. Another thing to draw players back to lower zones.

• 2130 posts
    December 12, 2016 1:17 AM PST

I like shinies as any Ratonga worth respect does.

10/10 would include in Pantheon. If it's tied into a mechanic like Perception I'd consider that to be even better.

• 2886 posts
    December 12, 2016 3:37 AM PST

I like collections in general. Fun side-objectives to keep you busy. That said, I don't expect to see them until a while after launch. It shouldn't really be a huge priority. Just a guess though.

• 69 posts
    December 12, 2016 6:38 AM PST

Everquest 1 has shinys.  I personally have a love/hate relationship with them.  Collections are awesome, especially when rewards are associated with completion of them, but EQ screwed up and started making collections that could only be purchased with micro-transactions. BAD CALL!  Collections that are tradeable help stimulate the player economy and are a nice distraction for people to hunt for when there is down-time on their toon.  Even in hardcore raiding guilds in EQ, me and my guildmates would hunt for them every chance we could get.  The sense of accomplishment and gratification from completing a collection is wonderful and can really break up monotany if you're LFG or hunting for tradeskill stuff.  Would be nice if there was a seperate inventory for collections though so that a toon wouldn't have all their bags filled with incomplete collections and taking up almost all their usable inventory.

• 556 posts
    December 12, 2016 7:01 AM PST

Please, no. Would rather have quests to do than run around picking up shiny spots on the ground. 

• 2130 posts
    December 12, 2016 7:01 AM PST

Err, what? What collection in EQ involves microtransactions?

• 3852 posts
    December 12, 2016 3:50 PM PST

I loved collectibles. Loved them in EQ2, loved them in other games that had them. Gods yes let's have collectibles!

Rewards can be cosmetic, housing when housing is in, experience (not enough to unbalance anything), game money etc.

No, no NO to microtransactions!

Someone started a thread  today on the benefits of encouraging *some* solo play. Hmmm that was me, when you get older your memory goes <. Collecting shinies is a great solo activity that does not compete with grouping. As is harvesting and crafting (there may be benefits to grouping for these as in Vanguard but it is inconceivable they will not also be doable solo).

• 1618 posts
    December 12, 2016 3:52 PM PST

Shiny collecting is a good way to chill out after a long day or while waiting for a group to form. Better than running circles until the last member of your group finally zones in.

• 30 posts
    December 12, 2016 4:45 PM PST
    I love shiny collection, I liked the way it was employed in EQ2. Was good to force me to explore and something else to do when I was burned out of questing/hunting.
    • 9 posts
    April 29, 2017 1:46 PM PDT

It would be great to get information on this from one of the team members on Tuesday's Stream!!  Wonder if they would be able to comment or give some insight here. 

• 1019 posts
    April 29, 2017 3:02 PM PDT

I loved the shinys in EQ2.  Playing other games in the realm of MMO fantasy settings and not having shinys left an empty feeling while wandering about. 

I truely hope they do something like this.  Even to a much smaller degree.

EQ2, now and the iterations of the shiny game are absolutly out of hand.  Shiny collections rewards should be something COMPLETELY optional.  A silly little side reward, not a requirement.

• 93 posts
    April 29, 2017 7:20 PM PDT

I loved collecting shinies in both EQ2 and Rift.  In fact, I was obsessive about it and considered myself a completionist when it came to such things. I would love to see this incorporated into the Perception system (as others have stated) - I wouldn't even care if they granted rewards or not.  I just like having some other alternative way to spend my time playing or something that may give me pause as I am runnning through a zone.

• 523 posts
    April 29, 2017 9:06 PM PDT

Very important to have collection game play in this group centered game.  If done correctly, this could be a path to solo game play for when someone just needs some private downtime and wants to explore and collect things.  Rift is definitely the blue print IMO, they took EQ2's collection system and improved it greatly.  Some of the rewards, just random fun stuff, for some of the collections were awesome.  In my mind though, crafting, harvesting, collecting are all in-depth solo activites and needed breaks for a game that generally demands grouping to advance. 

• 399 posts
    April 29, 2017 9:27 PM PDT

quit eq1 in late 2015.  Really like their implementation of collectibles. I don't know what micro transactions are...?

think to add this at a later stage could be an option. 

• 1303 posts
    April 30, 2017 7:15 AM PDT

I'll add to the list of folks that love collections. Any kind of collections. Great distraction when you just dont have the time or energy to find a group and grind out xp. 

• 3237 posts
    April 30, 2017 9:18 AM PDT

I enjoyed the shiny collections from EQ2 as well.  As Liav pointed out awhile back, I think it would be cool if they were tied into the perception system.  I also like Kelenin's suggestion of having them be more than just a shiny "?" on the ground.  It would be cool if we could collect butterflies from certain areas ... scarabs from others ... gems from others ... skulls from others ... etc.  I think EQ2 had way too many of these things to be honest.  I think 1-2 sets of shinies per zone would be enough ... and beyond that, some regional/world ones that scale across all levels and atmosphere types.