Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

HDR High Dynamic Range

• 5 posts
    December 4, 2016 7:28 PM PST

Hi, is the game being desiged with HDR in mind?

Would eventually like to take advantage of High Dynamic Range capabilities of my monitor.

Thanks

• 279 posts
    December 4, 2016 8:24 PM PST

Hope so too. It looks great on my TV & PS4 Pro games that support it. What monitor do you have that supports HDR?

• 5 posts
    December 4, 2016 10:10 PM PST

I havent made any decisions yet, but im thinking about a sony xbr850. not a monitor but hey, might be fun to play this on a big, cheap, 4k tv

• 279 posts
    December 4, 2016 10:44 PM PST

Ah yeah I hadn't seen any HDR traditional PC monitors yet. This site is very helpful if you havn't seen it yet. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/hdr-gaming/best

If you can, you might want to wait for the 2017 models though cuz the 2016 models are not exactly user friendly. Especially for PC gaming on it, you gotta have the right cable, one that's not too long and the right gpu and then getting the settings to match with the rgb nonsense. If you're good with all that stuff then go for it.

But yeah I too am curious about HDR and Pantheon. Considering there's not much for it on the PC so far getting an answer might be tough. Since the game doesn't come out for a while, there's still plenty of time to add it in.

• 1281 posts
    December 5, 2016 7:40 AM PST

I see HDR on PC as more of a fringe feature at this point, similar to PhysX, because few monitors support it.

I would expect it's something that may be patched in after release.

• 5 posts
    December 5, 2016 9:07 PM PST

Hey, thanks for the rting site link, great resource. Much better then consumer reports etc.

If im not mistaken, i thought i read in the past that Pantheon will be making its way to PS4 at some point?

If thats the case, HDR would be a great idea as most mid to high end tvs now seem to support it.

• 844 posts
    December 5, 2016 10:45 PM PST

I have been using a 40" Samsung 4k HDR tv as a PC monitor for about 4 months, well I have 2 of them actually, oh and a 3rd 2650x1600 monitor as well. I use a 980ti, and it really shines.

I have a 4K HDR BluRay player as well and the visuals are quite amazing.

Playing Fallout 4 and Skyrim in 4K - amazing. Much much more impressive than basic HD.

That all being said HDR would be a nice to have, nothing I would ever put above other more valuable features.

But having 4K graphics - A MUST HAVE.

• 1921 posts
    December 6, 2016 8:26 AM PST

First thing I do in any game these days is:

Turn off all post processing. (including, but not limited to: bloom, hdr, depth-of-field, more)

Turn off all shadows.

Turn off anything like screen shake or head bob.

Turn off water reflections.

So, presuming those options are available in Pantheon, that is, to turn them OFF, I don't care what Visionary Realms does with those features.  Personally, I hope they spend the least amount of time possible on graphics, and focus instead on fun, challenging, and innovative gameplay and gear systems.

• 5 posts
    December 6, 2016 12:36 PM PST

Interesting zewtastic, no issues running 4k on your 980ti? 

Are you able to run at high settings with decent frame rate?

• 844 posts
    December 7, 2016 1:13 PM PST

desktop

This is my desktop.

It's a custom build I made years ago. Just a 4x8 sheet of particle board mounted on a frame of 2x4's. Covered with contact paper. Sturdy, inexpensive, expansive working space, easy to clean, disassembles easily, easy to move.

The monitors from left to right are:

1 - Samsung 32” WQHD LED Monitor (S32D850T)

2 - Samsung UN40KU7000 40-Inch 4K HDR Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2016 Model)

3 - Samsung UN40JU6500 40-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2015 Model)

I write a lot of code and the amount of desktop space I get from these is amazing. The detail from the 4K monitors makes reading fine text easy, it's clear and crisp. As long as you turn off all the sharpening crap, which just adds particles.

I use a Spyder monitor calibrator (you can see it on the right between the 2 monitors) to keep all the monitors as accurate as I can get for color, brightness and contrast, I do a lot of pro photography and printing so keeping the monitors calibrated and matched to the printer output is a must.

980ti

Works fine supporting these 3 monitors, and I can play 4K games with no issue. The frame rate is not optimum with 3 on (35fps+) but playable, if I want to get the best performance turning 2 off helps. But I find playing a game like Fallout 4 in 4K with all 3 monitors on is not a problem, and amazing.

That all being said, the 980ti is not best for this setup as it only has 1-HDMI port. I have to use a Display port for the left monitor and a DVI for the right 4K. Still works fine but I would have preferred more HDMI ports.

AUDIO

VIZIO SB3851-C0 38-Inch 5.1 Channel Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer and Satellite Speakers (2015 Model)

I highly recommend the vizio. The sound bar sits on a shelf above my center 4K, and the satellite subwoofer and surrounds are behind. The sound bar has all the inputs you would want, optical, hdmi, aux, blutooth.

I have had many pc speaker solutions over the years (some costing more) and find this setup is the best by far. Sound is great, easy to disconnect and move around.

misc.

There is a Samsung 4k bluray player on the shelf above, it's audio is fed to the Vizio soundbar via HDMI. The pc uses Optical, and I can link my Amazon Dot to it via blutooth. I love it.

This post was edited by zewtastic at December 7, 2016 1:22 PM PST
    • 595 posts
    December 7, 2016 1:54 PM PST

zewtastic said:

desktop

This is my desktop.

It's a custom build I made years ago. Just a 4x8 sheet of particle board mounted on a frame of 2x4's. Covered with contact paper. Sturdy, inexpensive, expansive working space, easy to clean, disassembles easily, easy to move.

The monitors from left to right are:

1 - Samsung 32” WQHD LED Monitor (S32D850T)

2 - Samsung UN40KU7000 40-Inch 4K HDR Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2016 Model)

3 - Samsung UN40JU6500 40-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2015 Model)

I write a lot of code and the amount of desktop space I get from these is amazing. The detail from the 4K monitors makes reading fine text easy, it's clear and crisp. As long as you turn off all the sharpening crap, which just adds particles.

I use a Spyder monitor calibrator (you can see it on the right between the 2 monitors) to keep all the monitors as accurate as I can get for color, brightness and contrast, I do a lot of pro photography and printing so keeping the monitors calibrated and matched to the printer output is a must.

980ti

Works fine supporting these 3 monitors, and I can play 4K games with no issue. The frame rate is not optimum with 3 on (35fps+) but playable, if I want to get the best performance turning 2 off helps. But I find playing a game like Fallout 4 in 4K with all 3 monitors on is not a problem, and amazing.

That all being said, the 980ti is not best for this setup as it only has 1-HDMI port. I have to use a Display port for the left monitor and a DVI for the right 4K. Still works fine but I would have preferred more HDMI ports.

AUDIO

VIZIO SB3851-C0 38-Inch 5.1 Channel Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer and Satellite Speakers (2015 Model)

I highly recommend the vizio. The sound bar sits on a shelf above my center 4K, and the satellite subwoofer and surrounds are behind. The sound bar has all the inputs you would want, optical, hdmi, aux, blutooth.

I have had many pc speaker solutions over the years (some costing more) and find this setup is the best by far. Sound is great, easy to disconnect and move around.

misc.

There is a Samsung 4k bluray player on the shelf above, it's audio is fed to the Vizio soundbar via HDMI. The pc uses Optical, and I can link my Amazon Dot to it via blutooth. I love it.

Pretty sweet setup, I gotta say.  

Couple things though - a) Cat; need info, and b) wad of cash?

• 844 posts
    December 7, 2016 2:02 PM PST

cat = Money pit.

cash = poker playing funds. sometimes the pile is smaller, sometimes larger.

• 39 posts
    December 7, 2016 6:01 PM PST

Are they talking about HDR Pixel shaders? Because that would be from the video card / gpu, drivers and OS API like direct X. Are they calling 4k gaming HDR? I am confused now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_rendering

• 279 posts
    December 7, 2016 6:31 PM PST

Vash said:

Are they talking about HDR Pixel shaders? Because that would be from the video card / gpu, drivers and OS API like direct X. Are they calling 4k gaming HDR? I am confused now.

Who do you mean by "they"? HDR is not another way of saying 4K. HDR gives more colors, darkness, and brightness to make everything look closer to how our eyes see the real world. They even have HDR on 1080p TV's so it doesn't have to be 4K. It gets confusing if you try to figure out more than the basics.

Edit: Not 1080p TVs but HDR is in some 1080p content like videos or Forza Horizon on Xbox One.

This post was edited by Pantz at December 7, 2016 8:23 PM PST
    • 844 posts
    December 7, 2016 7:37 PM PST

I do not know of any pc games that currently support HDR, so I cannot speak to that. I know some are in the works. Some of the big metal games like BF1 and Gears of War, etc. But nothing is out currently that I have seen.

But playing a game in 4K is currently possible. The examples I gave above are Fallout 4 and Skyrim.

I have a bluray HDR player so can watch movies in HDR, and it is impressive.

Most people do not understand what HDR really means, even when they read about it. If you are involved with graphics, photography specifically you probably have a better grasp. As a pro photographer I have done HDR imagery since it was invented with the introduction of digital photography and photoshop layers. Now even smart phones offer HDR. Crazy. 

When I first played Fallout 4 on my 4k monitor it was with an older video card and it did not resolve 4K, so I was basically playing at 2650x1600 at full screen. But when I got the 980ti and was able to play at full 4k resolution fullscreen (the native resolution for the tv) it was simply a WOW AMAZING moment. Blew HD out of the water. The gameplay image quality is amazing and spell binding. And as someone who has for decades always kept up with the best and latest of tech, that was saying a lot. The last time I had a big wow moment was with the first SSD's.

• 844 posts
    December 7, 2016 7:42 PM PST

Pantz said:

Vash said:

Who do you mean by "they"? HDR is not another way of saying 4K. HDR gives more colors, darkness, and brightness to make everything look closer to how our eyes see the real world. They even have HDR on 1080p TV's so it doesn't have to be 4K. It gets confusing if you try to figure out more than the basics.

HDR on HD? Have not heard of that. Not enough pixel resolution to make it even worth trying i would think. Unless there is some other type of upscaling going on.

The reason HDR has now become essential viable for TV is the 4k resolution, and specifically 4K with 10 bit pixels.

Typical pixels of any monitor or TV are 8 bit, meaning 256 different shades of RGB. With newer 10 bit pixels that is now 1024 different shades of RGB per pixel. Thus allowing for a much more immersive range of shading and color range.

• 690 posts
    December 7, 2016 7:43 PM PST

This could be something they leave to the Pantheon modding community, should they choose to have one.

Still though in a highly difficult game that will probably include random named sand giants sneaking up on you...seeing more could be a significant advantage

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at December 7, 2016 7:44 PM PST
    • 844 posts
    December 7, 2016 7:59 PM PST

From what I have found, Shadow Warrior 2 is one of the first pc games to support 4k HDR via nvidia. I may have to grab it to check that out.

Here is a link to a 4k 60fps video that is pretty impressive. Starts out in HD then transitions to 4K.

https://youtu.be/oXswZkflyJg

article: http://wccftech.com/shadow-warrior-2-becomes-first-pc-game-taking-advantage-hdr-nvidias-multi-res-shading/

• 279 posts
    December 7, 2016 8:21 PM PST

zewtastic said:

HDR on HD? Have not heard of that. Not enough pixel resolution to make it even worth trying i would think. Unless there is some other type of upscaling going on.

The reason HDR has now become essential viable for TV is the 4k resolution, and specifically 4K with 10 bit pixels.

Typical pixels of any monitor or TV are 8 bit, meaning 256 different shades of RGB. With newer 10 bit pixels that is now 1024 different shades of RGB per pixel. Thus allowing for a much more immersive range of shading and color range.

Sorry got mixed up myself. Not 1080p TVs, but 1080p content in HDR. Like Forza Horizon on the Xbox One is 1080p but has HDR. 

• 13 posts
    January 15, 2017 12:23 PM PST

So no offcial word on HDR support? We are starting to see monitors coming out that are supporting massive refresh rates at 4k and HDR. Asus is releasing their HDR monitor wth G Sync in Q2 of this year (model PG27UQ) and I am curious if VR is planning ahead for any of this seeing how the market is moving towards HDR gaming and not away from it.  

This post was edited by stiffleon at January 15, 2017 12:24 PM PST