Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Let's talk bags

• 542 posts
    April 7, 2017 3:52 PM PDT

Rogue said:

I do not care for realism when it comes to bags.

neither do I 

In a game I'm playing at the moment ,my character stored an old man and a unicorn goat in his cloak -didn't bother me lol

• 157 posts
    April 8, 2017 12:05 AM PDT

Thumbs down to realism when it comes to bag space, carrying capacities, etc.

Horribly annoying to feel compelled to leave groups or camps because you fill up and don't want to lose out on cash, tradeskill items, loots, etc. because you filled up in a "realistic" way very quickly.

"The term suspension of disbelief has been defined as a willingness to suspend one's critical faculties and believe the unbelievable; sacrifice of realism and logic for the sake of enjoyment"

• 542 posts
    April 8, 2017 1:36 AM PDT

Lucid said:

Bag space wouldn't be a huge issue if the developers break the paradigm of having tons and tons of useless vendor trash in the game.

The less trash you have, the less space a character is going to need. Don't make everyone have to loot like a hoarder

In that same game I'm currently playing *the only coin to my name* has great value(and is the only coin).During the tournament where you have to gather an animal's eye
    you can either spend that only coin to buy a pie for a bridge troll after gathering some ingredients - choice of the heart
    spend it on an ethernal flame (+ container to use as fake eye to fool everyone) - Wisdom choice
    Or you can spend the only coin to buy a weapon and go on a hunt for the eye -bravery choice
    Don't need tons of useless items,we need meaningful purpose to items.

And they'd fool all goldsellers if coins were a scarce item ,often obtained by solving some kind of difficult puzzle linked to the perception system

Also think that

Isaya said:
    starting poor

can lead to
    Bazgrim said:

player interdependance. For example, maybe Wizards will gain value by casting a spell

Or when the warrior has gathered the ethernal flame lamp, a wizard can cast a spell on the warriorr's flame that will make it purple,
    Then the warrior gains more reputation for it because a fabled hideous creature is rumored to have a purple eye.This way,teamwork is better rewarded,though a solo player also gets reward,just not that great.

So also here ,interdependance is key + meaningful items,forget about trash without purpose
    In some areas realism is needed in order to immerse ourselves,
    but not in this area. The most important thing remains that the game can speak to our imagination too

A greater purpose to items also makes the whole trip,including the items used and required to progress,memorable

This post was edited by Fluffy at April 8, 2017 1:56 AM PDT
    • 1468 posts
    April 8, 2017 6:01 AM PDT

As a crafter being able to carry around a lot of stuff is normally pretty important. When I am crafting I'll probably have to stand at a crafting station. I don't want to have to run to the bank every 10 - 20 minutes just to offload junk and pick up more ingredients. It would make leveling up your crafting skills painful. My philosophy is, if it doesn't add any fun to the game don't have it. And having extremely limited bag space is just a pain in the arse and will just annoy people.

I have no problem with a game being hard but it is certainly possible to be hard without being annoying.

• 187 posts
    April 8, 2017 6:02 AM PDT

I feel like EQ did fine. That was plenty of bag space.

On the other hand! I admit that, hardcore as I am (I'm told), I really like being able to more easily control my personal inventory and find my stuff. A search function, even in EQ, would have been nice.

I am 100% against "realism" in how many bags you can carry, however, UNLESS it's with regards to super heavy tradeskll items like blocks or ore or the like... AND something significant is done to offset it (such as mules or caravans, etc.).

• 154 posts
    April 8, 2017 8:28 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Has VR made any sort of indication as to how big our character inventories will be in Pantheon? I feel like this is something that is often overlooked in games. It kinda bothers me that everyone piles at least 10 large backpacks onto their character without even realizing how ridiculous that sounds. I can't help but wonder how, realistically speaking, a Warrior can effectively tank a boss while having full bags strapped to every limb. Or a frail elf that can carry thousands of pounds of items. Or that 6 stacks of 100 large health potions can fit into a small pouch. It seems like most game devs think that taking the time to give each item a realistic weight is not worth it. And "convenience" prevails by just letting people carry pretty much whatever they want.

I'm curious as to what people's opinions are about shrinking down character inventories and making bags more of a luxury than a necessity in Pantheon. If I remember correctly, this was a big part of EQ1. But is this something best left in the past or is it something we wanna bring back? In other words, is it taking realism one step too far and too inconvenient to have small inventories? Or is it fun to make inventory space/weight management more of a thoughtful skill. I personally like to constantly be prepared for any possible situation, but at the same time I think having smaller inventories actually fits really well with VR's values. It forces you to plan far ahead as far as what supplies you need to bring on an adventure. You can't just keep a bank in your pocket. It also encourages player interdependance. For example, maybe Wizards will gain value by casting a spell that creates a temporary portable hole in which to store stuff. Or an Enchanter that casts a spell on a bag to make it as light as a feather. Or heck, why not a Summoner that can summon a friendly goblin merchant that the group can trade with for a short period of time. It is also rewards crafters for sewing higher quality bags than you'd be able to get otherwise.

I have heard rumors that there will be pack mules in Pantheon to do the heavy lifting for you. I think this is a really interesting idea, but hopefully it will be something that only the more wealthy adventurers would have.

What do you guys think?

Good point. Very good point. The idea of characters carrying a virutal treasure mound does sound rediculous. I think people in the Thread Mounts Persist after Dismount dicusses a solution. It's a thread below this one. People are talking about mounts and donkeys that may carry things for characters. 

Note: lol I forgot that Bazgrim and I talked about MOunts Persist Thread last night. That's the reason for this edit which follows:

Hey Bazgrim, sorry about that. I totally forgot we talked about mounts. Glad to see ya on this thread. Hope you're having a blast!

Oh, someone earlier in this thread mentioned Bags of Holding lol. Well those magical bags'll deffinately let characters carry virutally anything lol.

This post was edited by Risingmist at April 8, 2017 9:26 AM PDT