Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Guys, please...

• 79 posts
    December 29, 2016 7:54 PM PST

As long as they're not running around in pantsuits (looking at you, EQ2), I don't care what the staff animations look like.

• 1618 posts
    December 30, 2016 3:54 PM PST

Mages belong in robes, not pants.

• 1095 posts
    December 31, 2017 8:29 AM PST

Aradune said:

Dullahan said:

I think we can expect that they will have a sheathed animation. One would hope at least.

They could also add an option where, if a caster is not actually using a weapon to channel or melee, it could leave the weapon shealthed while casting spells.

This.

Is this something yall are still planing on doing is shealthing weapons? I hope its for all classes and maybe it can be triggered and not automatic depening on how the player wants to stand. Manual stance changes would be sweet.

• 287 posts
    December 31, 2017 12:43 PM PST

Beefcake said:

Mages belong in robes, not pants.

I quite like the idea of being able to wear pants as a mage.  Variety is the spice of life!

• 1921 posts
    December 31, 2017 12:59 PM PST

Mages belong in pants, not robes. :)

• 769 posts
    January 1, 2018 4:20 PM PST

vjek said:

On this note, one thing that has always bothered me about caster classes is the lack of fashion variety. The robe takes up so much space on the character. Whereas a melee class can mix and match armor (legs, shoulders, arms, chest, helm, feet, hands, etc) a caster pretty much only has the chest piece, gloves, boots, and helmet to work with. The final product being casters looking pretty similar to each other in many games. That's always bummed me out. I'd like to have ways to personalize robes in some form, or to simply add more to it, in order to keep that from happening. Even something as simple as making belts more visible. 

On the subject at hand - yea, that video with the guy carrying his staff over his shoulder, that looked ridiculous. Let's not do that. 

Edit: And for the love of pete, give me hoods/cowls/circlets. 

This post was edited by Tralyan at January 1, 2018 4:21 PM PST
    • 1095 posts
    January 1, 2018 4:54 PM PST

Tralyan said:

vjek said:

On this note, one thing that has always bothered me about caster classes is the lack of fashion variety. The robe takes up so much space on the character. Whereas a melee class can mix and match armor (legs, shoulders, arms, chest, helm, feet, hands, etc) a caster pretty much only has the chest piece, gloves, boots, and helmet to work with. The final product being casters looking pretty similar to each other in many games. That's always bummed me out. I'd like to have ways to personalize robes in some form, or to simply add more to it, in order to keep that from happening. Even something as simple as making belts more visible. 

On the subject at hand - yea, that video with the guy carrying his staff over his shoulder, that looked ridiculous. Let's not do that. 

I agree maybe, the lack of options can be an area of thinking

This post was edited by Aich at January 1, 2018 4:56 PM PST
    • 15 posts
    January 1, 2018 6:14 PM PST

Seeing as weapon animations for melee characters are usually pretty diverse in RPGs, I'd imagine its not too hard to animate combat staff animations supporting the class skills. Slowly waving your staff for healing, walking with the staff for immersion, race specific animations for casters - like I'd love to see the more shamanistic and heftier way an ogre usues a staff compared to a Gnome or Elf xD

• 2752 posts
    January 2, 2018 10:22 AM PST

Tralyan said:

Maybe it's time for a new toggle and/or equipment slot? 

Have robes in a slot for "outerwear" (or just change the cloak/back slot?) that can be toggled show robe, show open robe (so you can see equipped clothes under), or hidden...could also have a hood up/down option. Or just add those toggles for robes in the chest slot but then you lose the option to have a cloth shirt of your own choice under. 

• 70 posts
    January 2, 2018 11:03 AM PST

Pick up a staff in RL, or a yard-long PVC tube to approximate.

Now walk around all day holding it in your hand.

Tired yet?

Even melee warriors don't just carry their heavy sword around in their hands all day. And a big staff can easily weigh as much as a sword.

The only time a staff would be held in-hand:

- walking, as a walking-stick to lean on (but never while running, they aren't ski poles)

- for melee (but not during spell casting where your hand gestures are supposed important)

I think it would be fine to have the option out of combat to hold it as a walking stick *or* sheath it (i.e. sling it over your shoulder with a leather strap) when walking, but sling it over shoulder always while running.

If in combat, you would wield it in-hand while walking or running only if melee/auto-attacking, since otherwise the presumtion is you are spell casting and need your hands free.