Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Surnames?

• 30 posts
    October 5, 2016 7:55 PM PDT

Do we know if we will be able to add our surnames once we've reached a certain level, like when we dinged 20 in original EQ? Just curious if that will still be "a thing"  :P

• 116 posts
    October 6, 2016 5:06 AM PDT

I haven't seen any documentation regarding surnames but, with the Progeny system I would think a surname would be required.

• 30 posts
    October 6, 2016 5:07 AM PDT

Good point!!

• 9115 posts
    October 6, 2016 5:29 AM PDT

We will definitely have surnames, we have them now and currently you are forced to create one with any new character in the dev build but that will most likely change as it isn;t a big concern for us at the moment while we devote our time and energy to other more important areas of development :)

For those interested, I have a few but my favorite character name is "Kilsin Thedreamcrusher" haha, I will bug the devs to make that title for me when we get to implementing titles :D

• 30 posts
    October 6, 2016 5:32 AM PDT

Thank you so much for responding... I too have also carved out 12 (don't judge me... I have a problem!) names and surnames.  I'm *that* excited!! 

Will the surname show immediately?  I know this is lame, but I always loved the ritual of dinging twenty and hitting /surname even if the mobs were still beating me about my head and limbs ^_^

I suppose it may be part of the progeny system that requires the surname at creation....????

• 1095 posts
    October 6, 2016 6:23 AM PDT

Yeah seeing a person in EQ with a surname when just starting out was shock and awe. Young noobs coun;t wait to hit 20 to get that. I remember I hit 20 in Lake of Ill Omen on my Druid at the Windmill.

• 9115 posts
    October 6, 2016 6:26 AM PDT

Zaedria said:

Thank you so much for responding... I too have also carved out 12 (don't judge me... I have a problem!) names and surnames.  I'm *that* excited!! 

Will the surname show immediately?  I know this is lame, but I always loved the ritual of dinging twenty and hitting /surname even if the mobs were still beating me about my head and limbs ^_^

I suppose it may be part of the progeny system that requires the surname at creation....????

You're very welcome :)

I am not sure at this stage, it is something we will decide on later as right now we are focussing more on big systems and mechanics to help get us into pre-alpha testing. This is probably something you folks could give feedback on during testing ;)

• 30 posts
    October 6, 2016 6:41 AM PDT

I look forward to the opportunity!

• 201 posts
    October 6, 2016 7:48 AM PDT

Yeah I also liked getting the surnames at 20 in EQ...was a big deal back then.

• 902 posts
    October 6, 2016 11:02 AM PDT

Going on with this theme, will there be titles (suffix and prefix) and the like? I would love to see something for completing an epic that said "Chenzeme Stormbringer, Hunter of the Infinite Bow" or something, lol. What is the general thoughts on titles etc. With progeny, will we have a family surname or will it be a more Scandinavian thing like Chenzemeson? Is there a female version of this (forgive me, I'm English)? Have these already been asked? What is the meaning of Pantheon life? is it 42?

I think I am going delirious with the wait, I need a PRotF fix! Help please!!

This post was edited by chenzeme at October 6, 2016 11:12 AM PDT
    • 114 posts
    October 6, 2016 11:49 AM PDT

chenzeme said:

Going on with this theme, will there be titles (suffix and prefix) and the like? I would love to see something for completing an epic that said "Chenzeme Stormbringer, Hunter of the Infinite Bow" or something, lol. What is the general thoughts on titles etc. With progeny, will we have a family surname or will it be a more Scandinavian thing like Chenzemeson? Is there a female version of this (forgive me, I'm English)? Have these already been asked? What is the meaning of Pantheon life? is it 42?

Well I know in Scandinavian areas, at least in my family's history, that it would be "Dotter" as in Svensdotter. 

• 902 posts
    October 6, 2016 11:53 AM PDT

Frogz0r said:

chenzeme said:

Well I know in Scandinavian areas, at least in my family's history, that it would be "Dotter" as in Svensdotter. 

Cool! Thanks for the enlightenment. :-)

• 249 posts
    October 6, 2016 1:44 PM PDT
    Kilsin Trainmaker
    • 839 posts
    October 6, 2016 3:32 PM PDT

Ashvaild said: Kilsin Trainmaker

Kilsin Tha' Tankengine

• 86 posts
    October 6, 2016 4:32 PM PDT

I hope that being forced to choose a surname doesn't go live, I would prefer to leave the option open.  Also will names have to be at least 4 letters?

This post was edited by onvi at October 9, 2016 12:59 PM PDT
    • 902 posts
    October 7, 2016 10:20 AM PDT

My fave name was a Sarnak of mine. Shish Kebab and yes, he was a warrior. :) Ah... those were the days.

How about some prefixes so if you cause lots of trains, then you get a title of Fearful or Panicky or a suffix of the Aghast. Or if you cut down a forest you get Logger or Feller or Woodbane (although that sounds too much like an old cigerette brand). Or if you pull to the goup lots, you get Dragger or Hauler or Yanker. If you fall a lot, how about Tumbler or Plunger :-) (Not really serious here, but it would be nice to have stupidness titles).

This post was edited by chenzeme at October 7, 2016 10:28 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    October 7, 2016 4:56 PM PDT

Ashvaild said: Kilsin Trainmaker

Hokanu said:

Kilsin Tha' Tankengine

Lol, both catchy names that I will have to keep up my sleeve for alts :D

• 780 posts
    December 28, 2016 8:43 PM PST

Hopefully not commiting another 'thread necro' offense.  This thread was linked to from another thread that was closed and I wanted to post my opinion.  I definitely love the idea of surnames.  I don't think enough games use them.  I would prefer to have them be unlocked by level (like in EverQuest) or by quest, but if they have to be chosen at character creation, I'm okay with that also.  Much better than just not having them in the game.

• 1618 posts
    December 29, 2016 2:33 PM PST

I like having to reach a level to get a surname. Feels like a milestone earned. And gives me time to figure one out.

• 134 posts
    December 29, 2016 8:07 PM PST

I love Surnames. EQ had them and it was awesome. FFXIV has them at creation and I love it.

I'm up for any form of this.

• 17 posts
    December 31, 2016 7:47 AM PST

Surnames are such a pointless waste of screen space..

• 120 posts
    December 31, 2016 7:51 AM PST

I love and hate Surnames. Originally when I played FF14 where they were required from creation I hated them because sending tells to people were annoying have to type 2 names and got tired of people using very popular names like Cloud Strife. Would see like 100000 versions of Cloud Strife. Obviously that will still exist regardless, but surnames aloud for more since many of the version of the first name would already be taken. However, I did love the fact that basically any name you wanted you never had to worry about being taken.

• 6 posts
    December 31, 2016 8:10 AM PST

Please make sure special characters and extra capital letters so something like "Sol'Reaper" can be done without having to do a GM petition like in EQ

• 144 posts
    December 31, 2016 9:56 AM PST

Agee with Delvesh, would love to see the custom name ability without having to take up the time of a guide or GM

I do like the option of not taking a surname as well like in EQ, though I think if you do the progeny thing, at that point a surname would be needed?

Edit - might be cool for the ppl that hate seeing surnames to have the option to turn off/on surnames in game for raiding etc

This post was edited by Portalgun at December 31, 2016 9:58 AM PST
    • 780 posts
    December 31, 2016 10:20 AM PST

Eh, I had to talk to a GM to set up a surname in EverQuest and it was not a big deal.  If they can set it up so that those characters can only be used reasonably, then sure, make it easier for everyone.  Otherwise, I think it will be fine the old way, especially since we'll have GMs and a full guide program.  People definitely need an option not to display surnames, of course.