Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Money System

• 170 posts
    September 2, 2016 7:41 PM PDT

Does anyone else miss CP, SP,GP & PP where 100 cp = 1sp and 100 sp = 1 gp and 100 gp = 1 pp? I think it made encumbrance matter. You didn't just worry about what your weapon and armor weight but also the stuff in your bags and then the cash you carried. And their were quest where you had to do hundreds of gold not just 5 pp anyone remember jboots. I just think it would be great if they had these four and maybe even a fifth in an expansion or different things per continent and you'd have to go to the bank and exchange them.

• 28 posts
    September 2, 2016 11:30 PM PDT

Hi Abacda,

We currently have CP, SP, GP, and PP, with each being the same value you mentioned. A fifth currency could possibly be realized down the track.

Currency is automatically balanced, so if you have 90cp and collect an additional 50cp you will automatically have 1sp 40cp.

We have thought about quests like the JBoots quest, and the encumbrance the 1000GP gave. We could potentially achieve the same result by having a "Bag of Gold" item which can only be placed in a primary inventory slot, and not inside a weight reducing bag.

I hope this helps!

• 763 posts
    September 3, 2016 7:03 AM PDT

Sarudan said:

... snip ... Currency is automatically balanced, ... snip ...

The only downsides (apart from the obvious anti-immersion arguement) to this are removing mechanism players 'have to sort out' to get round this problem.

In a non-automatic system, anyone camping mobs in an area for a while will inevitable build up a large amount of lower-denomination coins. since the weights are (typically) equal, this equates to a large weight of copper and silver that is only worth a few gold or even plat. In EQ1, players thus started up a business of going to well populated zones and acting as money changers. This was particularly evident in Rathe Mountains and South Karana iirc. If, on the other hand, money is not to have weight, then this would also fall away (even without non-auto conversion).

I would even be happy with :

*multiple* currencies!

non-automated conversion,

money changers,

local banking,

local NPCs (unless foreign) all paid/paying exclusively in local currency!

But thats because I like to make problems for people hehe

Sarudan the monk was happy.

He had finally got to town. Having spent 3 days earning the 400 gold whilst trekking here for the sole trainer who could teach him that great new round-house kick he needed, he was tired. But at least he had the 400 gold ... well about 40 gold, the rest was all silver and such and weighed a ton!

'What do you mean this isn't 400 city gold?' he shouted. 'Fine, let me get it changed.'

'Hang on 7.5% tax to change it from silver and copper to gold? Ah, I see. 5% to convert to City coinage and 2.5% to change it to gold. So how much do i get then?'

'What?! 371 city gold? Are you having a laugh?'

'Oh well - i can alway get the rest from the bank. What? It isn't connected to the other banking institutions? .. and I would have to setup a Bank account anyway... and pay my city taxes ...'

Sarudan the monk was not happy.

• 28 posts
    September 3, 2016 7:47 AM PDT

Bare in mind that the current currency setup isn't final by any means, and could change by the time we release.

Complex currency systems can consume a lot of development resources and also require a lot of time to balance correctly, and at the moment our focus is on the core game play. That doesn't mean currency won't be revisited in the future though.

• 1778 posts
    September 3, 2016 9:12 AM PDT

I will say that although Im not super resistant to the idea of complex currency situations. I do think their is a cut off point on immersion and that not everything needs to go there. Everyone in a while I get a little freaked by the shear volume of "immersion" suggestions. I think there can be too much of a good thing. If an MMO has too many mechanics then it can feel too gamified. But the same is true with immersion, too much would just make it a simulator. So sometimes I like to make posts and remind people to dial it back a bit. I want to play the game and not the UI, I want to play the game and not spreadsheets in Terminus, I want to play the game and not the immersion micro-management simulator. But a good ballance of immersion, social interaction, and mechanics would be great.

• 763 posts
    September 3, 2016 9:19 AM PDT

@Sarudan,

Having worked in IT, am all too familiar with the 'too little time/resources' chasing the 'too many features/things to do' hehe. Certainly don't envy you *that* part!

My posting was more of a 'what might this feature look like in-game' illustration ...

so when you guys sit down at some point, months down the line, debating features, time contraints, whether you can justify putting in customizable door-knobs for player housing no matter how much Brad likes them etc

... so you will have some searchable posting on the topic.

I am mindful that these are Development forums and keep that foremost in my mind, rather than just posting a laundry-list of features I consider 'must haves'. thus whether I personally like a feature or not, I will always try to look at the big-picture and ask myself 'what would be the impact?'.

PS : Always nice to see you guys keep a certain flexibility in hand!

• 170 posts
    September 3, 2016 4:23 PM PDT

Sarudan, thank you for replying. I am glad that the 100X = 1Y is in their and their are four currencies not just gold and you have 900,000 on you and it has no weight like in some MMOs. I also understand that making encumberence takes away resources. I am just glad its being talked about.

Evoras I get what you are saying that you want a game not a virtual job. I don't either but I felt and looking at the forums think others felt EQ1 had a great balance of stuff. It was most definately a game but small things like having food/water and not too many arrows for pulling and not too much cash on you or you were slowed before you even got started.

I started as a Troll Shaman in Grobb and from levels 1-20 when ever I had a chance I would earn money from other players than needs a bank in front of Guk and were KoS to Grobb. I would take all there coin and cast a str buff on myself then run in and exchange it and bring it back to them. They would tip me and I would make a good income. I also learned every languauge in game and would stand between Innothule swamp and Feerott at the zone line teaching languages and SoWing for tips. 

It gave a lowbie Troll a way to make money until I was in my twenties and camping Treants in South Karana the Hill Giants in Rathe Mountains. In game economy was awesome and made us interact. I made a lifelong barbarian friend doing the banking in the swamp we played together for years after meeting that way.

Now Black Desert is a Job and other MMOs aren't feature rich enough to hold my interest so I most definately understand your concerns. Thanks to all who replied and I trust VR will get it right.