Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Target tagging

• 781 posts
    July 5, 2016 2:13 PM PDT

Zahlhedren said:

I hope they go with something more dramatic for mez. The square box above the head isn't very immersive. How about an aura that appears around the head or float up in the air ala Linda Blair in The Excorcist.

I could totally go for this ! :) 

• 88 posts
    July 6, 2016 5:34 AM PDT

Allow players to mark targets (that have the capability via group/raid options). For those who care about the "immersion-breaking" aspect, give an option to not have the markings display on their client. Done and Done.

• 231 posts
    July 6, 2016 7:20 AM PDT

Raive said:

Allow players to mark targets (that have the capability via group/raid options). For those who care about the "immersion-breaking" aspect, give an option to not have the markings display on their client. Done and Done.

I'm sorry Raive, but that's way too friendly to all players for it to happen. We need more of an argumentative post. ;)

• 28 posts
    July 6, 2016 9:17 AM PDT

The thing is when we hear target tagging everyone automatically things numbers or stars or other huge icons floating above a mobs head (even me when I first brought up this topic) however, after reading through some of the responses I think that the devs along with some here on the forums can come up with a way to make this less...intrusive.

I like the stars floating, perhaps having a mob glow just a tiny bit when the tank smacks it or something of the like.

• 74 posts
    July 6, 2016 11:48 AM PDT

Alic said:

I like the stars floating, perhaps having a mob glow just a tiny bit when the tank smacks it or something of the like.

I thought of auras too, but I think the main problem is color blindness. This is why most labeling systems have a shape and color different from any other combination.

I'm not sure there's a streamlined version of tagging that takes this into account and doesn't just put x number of stars on the target/player/ground.

Frankly, i always like the giant orange squirrel from Rift since I was always the person that people followed for movement. And im waiting for a poop emoji to make its way into an mmorpg tag system.

• 70 posts
    July 6, 2016 12:29 PM PDT

The overwhelming sense I get form reading some of these posts is that everyone is expected to be a uber player, know every single class, what their roles are, what to do when in every situation, and if you cant' do that, /kick.

That's not a very friendly community.  Just saying.

• 88 posts
    July 6, 2016 1:17 PM PDT

hackerssuck said:

The overwhelming sense I get form reading some of these posts is that everyone is expected to be a uber player, know every single class, what their roles are, what to do when in every situation, and if you cant' do that, /kick.

People valuing old-fashion vs QoL.

• 999 posts
    July 6, 2016 5:51 PM PDT

Raive said:

hackerssuck said:

Or, you could use /assist tank - hardly masochistic and it doesn't need shiny circles.

• 88 posts
    July 6, 2016 6:08 PM PDT

Raidan said:

Raive said:

hackerssuck said:

Or, you could use /assist tank - hardly masochistic and it doesn't need shiny circles.

So its bad to give player options? Its bad to give players who have a task in front of them non-intrusive tools that they may like and may not interfere with their own or others gameplay? God forbid there are raid encounters where there's a ton of movement and tons of target swapping and just to keep their focus on a certain target a player may be like "this may make my life a tad bit simpler". God forbid all that, its just too dam casual. And you do know what's funny, some of those same people who have that mind set of "oh just assist the tank" are the VERY ones prone to making those mistakes but choose to that route. I've seen those people in raid be so stubborn on doing things ONE WAY and never open up to other solutions (that could possibly be better). People confuse me at times.

• 999 posts
    July 6, 2016 6:17 PM PDT

@Raive

A tool that provides a competitive advantage isn't an option - it's a requirement.  An option would be seeing floating damage numbers above a person or via a chat box.  Having a glowing target tag would be a requirement for all competitive guilds whether they like them or not.  It has nothing to do with being casual (for me) - I just don't like forced options.  I've played plenty of games with the glowing /raid assists - I just believe they're unnecessary.

• 88 posts
    July 6, 2016 6:24 PM PDT

I guess our definition of "competitive advantage" are vastly different. I too have raided with both markers and without. They aren't necessary, but I see absolutely zero harm with allowing my raiders to setup whatever suits them best. And mind you, markers for mobs are far from being anything competitive.

• 231 posts
    July 6, 2016 8:38 PM PDT

If what makes/breaks a guild from being competitive is whether or not they use the markers, they really aren't that competitive to begin with. People are posting along the lines of if you can't use /assist etc properly then you don't know how to play well. If being able to use /assist and all that is enough, then not using the markers should not reduce that guild's capabilities.

If a player knows the guild/raid's plan well then they don't need the markers and/or the split second it takes for the tank to change targets and players to hit assist shouldn't be a deciding factor of a victory. The markers make things clearer obviously, but it should not make/break a kill. When stuff goes wrong in a pull or event you could even say markers are a disadvantage. Plenty of times, especially while learning an event, a pull goes wrong or someone breaks mez or whatever and the mob order gets changed on the fly which kills the usefulness of markers until they're redone (which stops one person from doing stuff) or kill order is reestablished.

So not having them for that reason doesn't make a lot of sense. Use them if you want, don't if you don't want to. It's a simple concept.

edit: just realized I pretty much repeated Raive, but with more words... so I agree with Raive

This post was edited by tanwedar at July 6, 2016 8:46 PM PDT
    • 613 posts
    July 7, 2016 10:39 AM PDT

In the early days I thought the tag system was a UI mod for EQ.  I don’t remember it being in pre Luclin.  Oh how did we ever survive that?  /snicker.

I think they are useful to a point.  If the groups are communicating they won’t be needed (Ox utopian view). I can remember many raids that we did not use them. I think when I got into WoW is when I really noticed the trend that “you needed them” was started. Along with DPS meters and gear checking and blah blah blah…

IF there was a way to make them lees obtrusive I saw put them in there.

Ox

• 213 posts
    February 1, 2017 9:25 PM PST

Target symbols need to be a thing.  I honestly think they should have been implemented in the very first EQ, but back then Everquest was breaking new ground and many things like targeting symbols importance were not realized until after the fact.  

We are in a new age here and this is one of those things where going back on the old way of doing things doesnt make a whole lot of sense because there is a better way, and honestly I think it takes a good group/raid leader to mark the targets in the order they need to be killed in.  

• 334 posts
    February 1, 2017 9:30 PM PST

I'm wondering if there's a good way we could implement this system into the game which feels coherent and like it fits into the world, rather than being an obvious fourth-wall breaker like giant circles/squares/crosses?

Perhaps an item that can be purchased which players can use to mark creatures with an aura of some type that's visible to other party/raid members?

• 780 posts
    February 1, 2017 9:53 PM PST

Well, this was so important in WoW because you had the whole 'everyone can CC one thing' thing going on.  Sheep moon.  Trap diamond.  Sap square.  Kill circle.  I can see it being useful in a game like PRF, but not to that same extent.  I personally don't care if there are numbers or shapes or whatever that group leaders or raid leaders can use, but if you want to keep it in character, I guess you give some class different colors of Faerie Fire spells that don't aggro mobs.  Then (if the leader wasn't one of these classes) the leader would have someone with those spells assist him and mark his target with whatever color he wants.  I really don't have a good answer for the color blindness.  I don't know much about that, but I believe there are still colors that can usually be seen?  If so, they can use these colors for the Faerie Fire spells.