Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Question about perception..

• 6 posts
    June 24, 2016 9:33 AM PDT

I really like this system.  Can't wait to see more examples of it.  I was wondering if perception is something that can be leveled or levels with you?  For example, with higher perception, you may want to revisit previous zones and discover something new there due to higher perception.  Or, is it going to be that no matter what your level is, if you are in the right place you will get the perception cue from the environment that something interesting is nearby?

• VR Staff
    • 246 posts
    June 24, 2016 9:44 AM PDT

The plan is to be able to increase in your perception level. We may find in testing that it's too cumbersome to do it that way, or the content workload is unwieldy, but we'd like it to be something you are rewarded for using and increasing in. 

• 6 posts
    June 24, 2016 1:02 PM PDT

That sounds great.  I'm really excited about this system.  I think this can add such a fun dynamic experience to the game.  Looking forward to seeing how it shakes out.  Thanks for the input.

• 316 posts
    June 24, 2016 9:07 PM PDT
    I wonder - any plans to connect perception with a state, like intelligence, for example? That way, a mage (wizard) might perceive more and be that much more valuable to have in a group? Or maybe certain classes could perceive certain things better than others - some weapon for warriors, some spiritual nexus for shamans, some trap for rogues, for example? I would prefer Wizards to perceive more than any other due to their especially keen, well, perception, but I'm biased toward Wizard badassery.

Thanks for any response!
    • 1778 posts
    June 24, 2016 9:45 PM PDT

Amsai spots a wild Istuulamae!

• 132 posts
    June 24, 2016 10:49 PM PDT

Istuulamae said:

The plan is to be able to increase in your perception level. We may find in testing that it's too cumbersome to do it that way, or the content workload is unwieldy, but we'd like it to be something you are rewarded for using and increasing in. 

I also loved the perception system after seeing it in game. Great idea. I have a thought or maybe a question or two about the system, specifically with "leveling" it.

Since Everyone will need to use it (if they want to find keys or quests etc.) is there really a Need to "level" it?

If there is a need to "level" perception, can you give me a hypothetical example of how the perception would be differnt to a player with a low level perception vs a high level perception?

Would the high level perception just be way more specific?

If a higher level perception "give more details" or more specific, wouldn't it just make a great system - "dumbed down/easier" for players with higher perception? 

Wouldn't it just be easier for everyone to have a set amount of perception so that everyone would have an equal opportunity to "follow the perception" clue or not?

I don't want to feel like I am missing out of quests just because I have a lower perception than player B. 

I feel like sometimes game makers need to ask themselves, is there really a reason for feature X? 

You spoke of rewarding those for using and increasing it - isn't the reward what you get for following the perception clue vs ignoring it and moving on? 

Just random thoughts. Again, I have Zero idea about game making, but I work for apple and their motto is: "There are a thousand No's, for every Yes"

Apple likes to ask, does this feature enrich a customers experience or life. If not, it's an immediate No. 

As a game maker maybe sometimes that same question could be applied?

Does this game feature "Enrich" the game or immersion factor or feel of the game if we add a "leveling' aspect to it? 

I am not saying you guys need to be apple, lol, nor am I saying you should always say No before you finally say yes. I just feel like sometimes, simple is better than complex. 

This post was edited by Medjai at June 24, 2016 10:58 PM PDT
    • 613 posts
    June 27, 2016 10:05 AM PDT

I guess I need more information on how this works.  The FAQ was a bit light on details but I am sure more will come out as we get closer to Alpha.  I was interesting to see in practice in the game on the stream. 

Is there more information on the site that I have missed?

Ox

• 104 posts
    December 9, 2016 7:20 PM PST

I was a little disappointed in the demonstration of the Perception system in today's stream. When they walked by this one NPC standing outside it basically gave a quest to go find a guy by a cave. I really hope that the Perception system develops into more than just an automatic quest giving system.

• 334 posts
    December 9, 2016 8:07 PM PST

I think a huge thing with the perception system needs to be that it's not always optimal to "embrace" your intuition. If there's no reason to not embrace your intuition, it's just a differently flavored "accept quest" prompt.

• 578 posts
    December 9, 2016 10:48 PM PST

Aena said:

I was a little disappointed in the demonstration of the Perception system in today's stream. When they walked by this one NPC standing outside it basically gave a quest to go find a guy by a cave. I really hope that the Perception system develops into more than just an automatic quest giving system.

The perception system is basically a more organic way of doing quests. Instead of the big blinking arrow above an NPCs head telling you that NPC has a quest to give, the perception system will steer you towards people and places of import. People in real life don't have big indicators above their heads signaling to you that you can interact with them and that's what I believe they are going for here.

One of the examples the devs gave before was this; the scenario is you and your group are walking down a path through a forest going about your business when one of the members who has a specific level/type of perception gets a message 'you smell smoke and notice a castle ruins off the path to the North'. I don't remember it word for word but this was the gist of it. The group then decides if they want to go check out the ruins and if so they could possibly come across an NPC who has a quest to give you. It's a system that creates quests in a more organic way instead of placing NPCs all over with big icons above their heads.

If you look at today's stream, yeah, it comes off as a glorified means of doing a quest. Even though there was no big green icon above her head, ultimately you still talked to her and she still gave you a quest. But if you look at all the possibilities such as today's stream plus my example above and all the other ways they could 'nudge' players into quests I think it has potential to be a more organic way of doing quests.

• 5 posts
    December 9, 2016 11:01 PM PST

Aena said:

But that's basically the point of it; I also don't know why I'm replying when the guy above me said it better. Just makes for a slightly more immersive questing experience, perhaps more social as well

• 21 posts
    January 15, 2017 5:34 PM PST

One thing I am hoping for still is that if I you find 'quest-part-c' in a random drop or tripped-over-it-while-running-for-your-life

That you can pick up the trail from that point and go to 'quest-part-d' with a better perception value than the item your holding. If your perception value is worse then the quest-part your holding maybe it will send you back to the intial quest giver

Or just give 'mystirious' hints until your perception is improved enough for you to get a read on the item you've had in your bank/inventory since level 3 because you found a level 26 quest-part