Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

4k and Pantheon, Q? for devs too

• 2752 posts
    April 7, 2017 1:06 PM PDT

To be fair, I imagine even now the average person hovers between 30 and 50 fps when gaming. 

But I agree, 4k is kind of essential as the wave begins cresting. You can bet it is going to become a big selling point for games going forward. 

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    April 7, 2017 1:23 PM PDT

First, the game is far from done, not finally optimized, etc.

I run 1080p and 1440p at 30+ fps on a 3.1ghz i5 with GTX960 with 16 gigs system RAM, and 2 gigs video RAM.  People will newer machines are getting close to/around 60fps.

We do have one person on the team who runs in 4k with a 6700k, 32 gigs of ddr4, and dual gtx1080s at 30+ fps.  

What does that really mean *now*?  Well, we are being vigilant and making sure that, when done, the game will *not* require an uber machine.  In fact that's why I run this older machine.  But it will run at 4k with the right hardware.  Extrapolating and guessing as to what kind of machine it will take during beta or after release to achieve specific resolutions or framerates is really pre-mature however.

This post was edited by Aradune at April 7, 2017 1:24 PM PDT
    • 159 posts
    April 7, 2017 2:26 PM PDT

@Aradune, can that person host the next live stream in 4K, please? :D

• 123 posts
    April 7, 2017 2:45 PM PDT

I played EQ with less than 20fps and some friends were watching a wall while raiding, so 30fps won't bother me at all ^^.

I think the choice for each player is a matter of priority, maybe FPS players will find more important to get a 144Hz monitor with 100+fps, but for some players like me, the size of the screen and 4k are more important than a bit more smoothness when 100+fps.

Whatever it may be, I totally subscribe to the fact that the most important is to ensure that Pantheon is playable with a common machine, the well-being of the majority of players is the highest priority.

• 169 posts
    April 7, 2017 2:54 PM PDT
    Well if i recall correctly most humans can not tell the difference with anything over 40 fps. That being said i believe that running 4k res at 30-45 fps is fine for now with future optimization coming.
    A more important question for me is if they are going to optimize for the new ryzen processors
    • 109 posts
    April 7, 2017 6:16 PM PDT

Let's not get confused with the difference between supporting 3840x2160 versus creating 4k graphic models and environments.  My 980ti plays most games at close to 60fps in 4k because these games weren't tailored for that resolution.  Games that were developed with 1920x1080 in mind actually look great in 4k as well (bonus!).  I have no doubt that Brad plans to support tons of resolutions and that's good enough for me, the high res textures can wait until the cows come up as far as I'm concerned.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    April 7, 2017 6:27 PM PDT

Frostyglitch said:

Let's not get confused with the difference between supporting 3840x2160 versus creating 4k graphic models and environments.  My 980ti plays most games at close to 60fps in 4k because these games weren't tailored for that resolution.  Games that were developed with 1920x1080 in mind actually look great in 4k as well (bonus!).  I have no doubt that Brad plans to support tons of resolutions and that's good enough for me, the high res textures can wait until the cows come up as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed.  Check out the 4k screenshots we always put up and I think you'll see we're planning for high rez in the long term, using larger textures, detail, etc.

Make sure you click on the little 4k icon to bring up the big screen:  http://www.pantheonmmo.com/media/images/

• 3237 posts
    April 7, 2017 7:44 PM PDT

Those are some amazing pictures, especially in full screen.  Wow.

• 2886 posts
    April 7, 2017 7:46 PM PDT

daemonios said:

lol that's not really feasible on twitch unfortunately. twitch puts limits on streaming bitrates to preserve bandwidth. so the framerate would likely be terrible. not to mention most people wouldn't even be able to view it in that res. so sadly it wouldn't be worth it.

Edit: I'm glad my suspicions were correct that 4K screenshots does indeed mean that the game is being optimized for that res.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 7, 2017 7:50 PM PDT
    • 109 posts
    April 7, 2017 9:15 PM PDT

Aradune said:

Frostyglitch said:

Agreed.  Check out the 4k screenshots we always put up and I think you'll see we're planning for high rez in the long term, using larger textures, detail, etc.

Make sure you click on the little 4k icon to bring up the big screen:  http://www.pantheonmmo.com/media/images/

Alright you've got my attention now, that's going to be a rather epic experience.  Alpha is looking ever closer.

This post was edited by Frostyglitch at April 14, 2017 5:22 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    April 7, 2017 9:23 PM PDT

Megaera said: Well if i recall correctly most humans can not tell the difference with anything over 40 fps. That being said i believe that running 4k res at 30-45 fps is fine for now with future optimization coming. A more important question for me is if they are going to optimize for the new ryzen processors

That is actually a myth that for some reason a lot of people believe, here is a video that explains it a little better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhSHeYT2U70

Basically, the higher the frame rate, the smoother and better things will look to the human eye, the lower the frame rate, the more jagged and choppy they will appear. We use 60 FPS as a standard to measure in games a lot because it is widely considered the best middle ground for the average user in most games, to achieve a steady 60 FPS will be a much more enjoyable experience on our eyes for most people.

The higher the resolution the smaller the pixels and the sharper and more clear the picture looks, so to pair that up with higher frame rates will make the viewing of a game much more visually pleasing, so a lot of people try to find a good balance between graphics and GPU power, for MMOPRGs to run at 60 FPS at 1080p or 1440p would be a great result to consistently achieve, any higher and you are probably going to need several high-end graphics cards and a very fast and stable internet connection to maintain that FPS at 4k and above, something not a lot of people can do just yet but I am sure we are not far away with how fast technology is progressing.

I am not an expert by any means but I hope that helps people understand it a little better. :)

• 159 posts
    April 7, 2017 11:42 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

daemonios said:

lol that's not really feasible on twitch unfortunately. twitch puts limits on streaming bitrates to preserve bandwidth. so the framerate would likely be terrible. not to mention most people wouldn't even be able to view it in that res. so sadly it wouldn't be worth it.

Yeah, I thought as much, was just half-kidding/wishful thinking. As I said myself, I don't even have a 4K setup right now.

• 126 posts
    April 8, 2017 12:13 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

The higher the resolution the smaller the pixels 

Sorry for picking just this small point out (which was why I dug this thread out). I actually forgot that Pantheon did these beautiful screenshots in 4k! So I shouldn't fret about all the non-3D pixel things which turn also really really tiny in 4k, like hotbars or the option windows or chat, persona, loot and other windows? You know I don't get any junger and my eyesight isnt't like that of an eagle any more :D

Is the UI ready to be shown also in 4k? No pressing, I am just wondering :)

• 9115 posts
    April 8, 2017 3:59 AM PDT

Duffy said:

Kilsin said:

The higher the resolution the smaller the pixels 

Sorry for picking just this small point out (which was why I dug this thread out). I actually forgot that Pantheon did these beautiful screenshots in 4k! So I shouldn't fret about all the non-3D pixel things which turn also really really tiny in 4k, like hotbars or the option windows or chat, persona, loot and other windows? You know I don't get any junger and my eyesight isnt't like that of an eagle any more :D

Is the UI ready to be shown also in 4k? No pressing, I am just wondering :)

You will be able to resize and move our UI around so even in 4k you can make it whatever size you like (within some limits of course) but yes, the higher the resolution the smaller things get. :)

• 1468 posts
    April 8, 2017 6:04 AM PDT

I'm highly tempted to get a 4k monitor for Pantheon. I'll be buying a new computer in May and will make the decision as to whether not I'll get a 4k monitor with it. Only problem is that decent 4k monitors are pretty bloody expensive so I'll have to save up some cash to be able to afford one.

• 99 posts
    April 8, 2017 6:39 AM PDT
    4k response time makes me cringe. Went with a 1ms response 144hz 2k my self i hate bottle necking.
    • 1468 posts
    April 8, 2017 7:38 AM PDT

Wobels said: 4k response time makes me cringe. Went with a 1ms response 144hz 2k my self i hate bottle necking.

Doesn't bother me. I'd rather go with a pro IPS 4k monitor running at 60Hz than a god awful TN panel monitor with poor viewing angles. The monitors I'm looking at are 4 - 5ms response times which are absolutely fine. Plus the fact that most computers can only just manage 60fps at 4k with a single card graphics solution.

I'll be getting a 1080Ti to go along with my 4k monitor I think.

• 2886 posts
    April 8, 2017 9:19 AM PDT

daemonios said:

Bazgrim said:

daemonios said:

Yeah, I thought as much, was just half-kidding/wishful thinking. As I said myself, I don't even have a 4K setup right now.

haha I figured you were. But I like to clear things up for the part of you that wasn't kidding :P and for the many people reading out there that can't interpret sarcasm via text lol.

• 1281 posts
    April 8, 2017 12:32 PM PDT

When I got my IPS monitor I hooked it up and had my old TN display and new IPS panel mirrored. It was notably better IQ on the IPS panel. The only reason I would go back to a TN panel is if I moved to 120hz.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at April 8, 2017 12:32 PM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    April 8, 2017 4:01 PM PDT

Cromulent said:

Wobels said: 4k response time makes me cringe. Went with a 1ms response 144hz 2k my self i hate bottle necking.

Doesn't bother me. I'd rather go with a pro IPS 4k monitor running at 60Hz than a god awful TN panel monitor with poor viewing angles. The monitors I'm looking at are 4 - 5ms response times which are absolutely fine. Plus the fact that most computers can only just manage 60fps at 4k with a single card graphics solution.

I'll be getting a 1080Ti to go along with my 4k monitor I think.

You'll need a second if you're serious about maintaining even close to a consistent 60fps.

• 483 posts
    April 8, 2017 4:17 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Edit: I'm glad my suspicions were correct that 4K screenshots does indeed mean that the game is being optimized for that res.

Maybe they can have someone else that's not streaming record the gameplay, and post it on youtube on 4k. That's my dream, the game looks so good, but streaming it kind of cuts the quality.

• 9115 posts
    April 8, 2017 5:54 PM PDT

I did the same thing for the same reasons, I play FPS games too so response time is critical and I ended up grabbing a 27" ASUS ROG Swift 144 HZ 1ms as it better suits my games and playstyle, 4k looks great for screenshots and videos but playing a game a 60+ FPS will be tough, I personally would rather drop it to 1440p/2k and maintain a higher FPS but it is up to each individual and their preference for gaming :)

• 2886 posts
    April 8, 2017 8:50 PM PDT

jpedrote said:

Bazgrim said:

Maybe they can have someone else that's not streaming record the gameplay, and post it on youtube on 4k. That's my dream, the game looks so good, but streaming it kind of cuts the quality.

That's more doable, but they'd still need a super beefy CPU, capture card, and SSD. Which they may have, but 3+ hours of it is probably a bit much to ask for lol.

• 483 posts
    April 9, 2017 4:08 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

That's more doable, but they'd still need a super beefy CPU, capture card, and SSD. Which they may have, but 3+ hours of it is probably a bit much to ask for lol.

I don't know much about recording so I can't comment, but it would be sick to see the game in it's full glory :)

• 34 posts
    April 9, 2017 6:16 AM PDT

I recently upgraded to 4k on a 40" monitor using a 1080 Ti, and the experience is great in most games.  It can really chug at times in Mass Effect Andromeda, for example, but in most games I can keep framerates at 60 with some settings adjustments.  For what it's worth, I just finished a runthrough of The longest Journey, Dreamfall, and Dramfall Chapters.  Dreamfall Chapters is also made on the Unity engine (Unity 5 if I recall), and it stayed pretty much locked at 60 FPS everywhere except a few select areas that might drop to the low 50s.  Playable 4k framerates for Pantheon shouldn't be an issue for next generation hardware, which will be widely available at launch. 

Still though, Adaptive Sync technology at 144Hz is butter smooth on my 27" 1440p monitor, and that won't be doable on 4k for quite some time, I expect.