Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Will Alpha/Beta testing be available to Linux users?

• 109 posts
    August 31, 2018 11:05 AM PDT

I have a love hate relationship when it comes to Linux but either way we'd gain a pretty signifigant player base if support was added.  That being said development has already been set back / started over once and we've pushed back alpha testing on Windows into 2019 as it is so I'd have to agree at least get one operating system 100% gold before even thinking about any other platforms.

This post was edited by Frostyglitch at August 31, 2018 11:27 AM PDT
    • 30 posts
    August 31, 2018 11:24 AM PDT

I only use Linux for desktop computers, but I'd say do not bring it to Linux unless it's an easy build.  Linux maybe a new set of players you could gather in, but the time to tweak a client could require too many resources at VR.  The solution would be to make sure your code very interoperable to transpose the different platforms, or to open source the client.  My guesss is they have neither and are directly writing for Windows PC gamers and will deal with the nightmare later to tap into the million player bases of other platforms.

Current estimates of WoW players is 5 Million.  Current install base of Forntie is 125 Million and most are on mobile devices, like only 40Million using PC/Mac/PS4/XBOX.

Pantheon needs to be a killer game to coax players from WoW.  By not aiming to add mobile players, is going to hurt.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at August 31, 2018 6:22 PM PDT
    • 844 posts
    August 31, 2018 3:06 PM PDT

rencil said:

Current estimates of WoW players is 5 Million.  Current install base of Forntie is 125 Million and most are on mobile devices, like only 40Million using PC/Mac/PS4/XBOX.

Pantheon needs to be a killer game to coax players from WoW.  By not aiming to add mobile players, is going to hurt.

VR is not chasing WoW players, or Fortnight players. Chasing someone elses players is not a recipe for success unless you are Blizzard and make a profession from stealing other studios ideas.

VR is making the game they want. They believe there is enough interest to support it. They know it is a niche game.

Given they they are using Unity means the potential of porting to a mobile platform is always a possibility, although highly unlikely for a persistent MMO. If they did launch with larger than expected success, maybe and it's a big maybe, they would explore porting to other platforms. And if they did, that would need to be a new team specialized in mobile or whatever they might go to.

• 1303 posts
    August 31, 2018 3:36 PM PDT

rencil said:

I very specifically do not want Pantheon to try to be a WoW killer. I want it to be built with a very specific target audience in mind, and build something incredibly compelling for that audience. I do not want to see VR do what so many other games have done that torpedo'd their product, which was trying to be all things for all people in hopes of taking vast numbers of WoW subscribers.

This notion translates to trying to be on every platform, or building toward the lowest common denominator of the capabilities of mobiles. 

This post was edited by Feyshtey at August 31, 2018 3:38 PM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    August 31, 2018 4:37 PM PDT

Feyshtey said:

rencil said:

I very specifically do not want Pantheon to try to be a WoW killer. I want it to be built with a very specific target audience in mind, and build something incredibly compelling for that audience. I do not want to see VR do what so many other games have done that torpedo'd their product, which was trying to be all things for all people in hopes of taking vast numbers of WoW subscribers.

This notion translates to trying to be on every platform, or building toward the lowest common denominator of the capabilities of mobiles. 

Agreed,  I have never seen anything from VR that indicates they want to be a Wow killer...if anything kills Wow..it will be because they have run out of things/ideas to steal from other games on the market..(as it has been over the years since they launched in 2004 hehe)   I want Pantheon to be its unique self...a little old school, but with some innovative ideas unique to the VR team.  I am seeing some of that as time goes along.    They have come a long way from the Kickstarter days.  :)

Cana

• 844 posts
    August 31, 2018 5:47 PM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

Feyshtey said:

rencil said:

Agreed,  I have never seen anything from VR that indicates they want to be a Wow killer...if anything kills Wow..it will be because they have run out of things/ideas to steal from other games on the market..(as it has been over the years since they launched in 2004 hehe)   I want Pantheon to be its unique self...a little old school, but with some innovative ideas unique to the VR team.  I am seeing some of that as time goes along.    They have come a long way from the Kickstarter days.  :)

Cana

For a game to be a wow killer it would have to be so carebear easy, they would just mail you are card saying 'you won'.