Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

32 vs 64 Bit Game Client

• 130 posts
    April 7, 2016 8:44 AM PDT

Rachael said:

I wonder how many people with 32bit windows just didn't understand and installed it on a 64bit system. It boggles my mind that anyone would actually still be running a 32bit system for gaming :O

Or you do understand but install the 32bit version instead.  Been there, done that, wondered why all my RAM wasn't registering in the task manager.

• 793 posts
    April 7, 2016 9:16 AM PDT

Vade said:

Rachael said:

I wonder how many people with 32bit windows just didn't understand and installed it on a 64bit system. It boggles my mind that anyone would actually still be running a 32bit system for gaming :O

Or you do understand but install the 32bit version instead.  Been there, done that, wondered why all my RAM wasn't registering in the task manager.

Beleive it or not, there are store bought systems still being built with 32 bit. I get people bring in their brand new PC/Laptop for me to setup for access (because apparently typing an IP in remote Desktop Client is overly difficult. /rollseyes) And they have a 32-bit home version on them even though they have a 64bit CPU

This post was edited by Fulton at April 7, 2016 9:16 AM PDT
    • 1468 posts
    April 7, 2016 10:11 AM PDT

Fulton said:

Vade said:

Rachael said:

Beleive it or not, there are store bought systems still being built with 32 bit. I get people bring in their brand new PC/Laptop for me to setup for access (because apparently typing an IP in remote Desktop Client is overly difficult. /rollseyes) And they have a 32-bit home version on them even though they have a 64bit CPU

Microsoft should just stop selling 32 bit versions of Windows. Every Intel / AMD CPU released since about 2008 has been 64 bit. There is literally no need for a 32 bit version of Windows any more.

This post was edited by Cromulent at April 7, 2016 10:11 AM PDT
    • 801 posts
    April 7, 2016 10:50 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

Fulton said:

Vade said:

Rachael said:

Microsoft should just stop selling 32 bit versions of Windows. Every Intel / AMD CPU released since about 2008 has been 64 bit. There is literally no need for a 32 bit version of Windows any more.

I have to stop you there and your thinking.

Industries still need 32 bit developed and we need microsoft to continue to keep supporting Dos based apps. They do not require multi cpu support, or high end systems. Microsoft is not thinking correctly. They should have a team of design people to continue to support those people and the industries out there. CNC machine can throw off just 1/16th for a simple cpu thread process. It will jump if trying to fudge a very old system to a new transfer.

32 is not suppose to be for the "new" home based systems.

Its not microsoft its people like dell, hp, lenovo, etc that are using mirror tools to have recovery partitions available in 32 bit mode. It is setup as a Fat 32 if you care to check some of these drives.

Its the software they are using that does this. I know we used to use the old microsoft xp setup software. Companies migrated to 3rd party apps to support those larger firms.

There is no reason to not be setup on 64 today, except for those special needs where 32 bit is suppose to be used. Those are usually dos based, or special manufacturing systems just for that reason. It was never suppose to be in the "home based" industry after 64 bit was safe to run. Developers will tell you this, they had to move fast to support 64 bit. Until then everyone over 7 years ago used 32 bit.

I only wish we had another Software company designing a business O/s to seperate the microsoft golden handhold they have on the world. We need to have industries left alone. Not everyone can simply upgrade a million dollar operation every 5 years.

BTW you have the choice of 32 bit or 64 bit with OEM setup. Your Licence works with both, its the person setting up your system that is ******* your prebuild.

Its not microsoft.