Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Melee or Magic?

• 51 posts
    April 4, 2016 9:36 AM PDT

Prefer playing a tank, so up close and personal.

• 793 posts
    April 4, 2016 9:38 AM PDT

My primary is always a Paladin, I often make a secondary Shadow Night (The Paladin's evil twin brother :) ), which gets played when I'm awaiting friends or something.

At some point I begin making other alts to try them, I have tried many. I tend not to enjoy the caster roles much myself, I can't help but end up melee'ing mobs with a robe on. :)

I have enjoyed the Druid and Ranger classes as well, which one or the other tend to be my highest alt.

• 1714 posts
    April 4, 2016 9:57 AM PDT

Someone once said "if there's no magic, there's no magic" or something along that line. And normally, I would agree. But in a game like this I want to be survivable. I want to be in the thick of things especially in dungeons and raids. I will trade power for durability and play a class that can pull and tank. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at April 4, 2016 9:58 AM PDT
    • 157 posts
    April 4, 2016 10:05 AM PDT

I enjoy both tanking and healing, so I guess I like both.  One thing that concerns me is the heavy gear dependency of the melee classes.  Many people are often dissuaded from playing melee, especially tank classes (and this is especially true for first characters) due to the class’s very heavy gear dependency.  It has always seemed a little lopsided when my tanking character needs to continually upgrade his equipment, while the casters in the back are in their underroos. 

• 148 posts
    April 4, 2016 10:12 AM PDT

My main in EQ was a Ranger, I liked have both melee and spells. Later on in other games I've switched to being a healer. I've tried pure melee dps and tank but they didnt fit to well

• 116 posts
    April 4, 2016 10:14 AM PDT

I usually prefer melee characters, there's something i like about being on the front line. However, depending on how retro Pantheon is going to be, I might roll a caster if melees are on kick ponies without bind/gate. I'm not sure I want to re-live the lack of skills & utilities associated with melee characters of old.

• 1714 posts
    April 4, 2016 10:23 AM PDT

xtnpd said:

I enjoy both tanking and healing, so I guess I like both.  One thing that concerns me is the heavy gear dependency of the melee classes.  Many people are often dissuaded from playing melee, especially tank classes (and this is especially true for first characters) due to the class’s very heavy gear dependency.  It has always seemed a little lopsided when my tanking character needs to continually upgrade his equipment, while the casters in the back are in their underroos. 

The flip side of this is that casters will lament not having those game changing items nearly as often as melee. Another 200 mana is nice, but doesn't necessarily increase your POWER. Whereas a new weapon upgrade for a melee class can be a huge jump. 

• 128 posts
    April 4, 2016 10:30 AM PDT

Kayo said:

Dropping bombs from a distance. And by bombs I mean "poison laced sharp objects." And by "sharp objects"....

...arrows, I mean arrows.

Magic is for unicorns, and hippies ... 

I am a unicorn, i knew it all along!

• 22 posts
    April 4, 2016 10:38 AM PDT

This is how I go about every MMO and I'm sure I will be considered a bit weird. My favourite classes in EQ was monk and cleric. With that said I've always started out with a melee, when I pick a class and race I never re-roll that class again nor do I roll an alt until I've reached max level and done quite some exploration and raiding with my main. I learn other classes by observing them in action and of course by talking with my fellow players to learn about their classes a bit more. When I'm done with that I will roll my first alt, a healer class of course, then rinse repeat. Usually I invest so much time in my characters that it's hard to roll another alt, but if I do it will certainly be an offensive caster next. :)

This post was edited by Koras at April 4, 2016 10:50 AM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    April 4, 2016 10:47 AM PDT
    Difficult choice. I have played Tanks, Rogues and Support classes. My fav class from any MMO was FFXIs Ninja (hybrid melee/magic tank). So I with many would probably lean more toward hybrid. But from a purely aesthetic angle I like melee more. Ultimately it depends on the role and how the class is designed. It needs to be interesting and I prefer mechanically difficult classes (i.e. Ninja).

So based on current expectations none of the tanks are doing it for me. Too straight forward.

Rogue could be a possibility but it depends on utility. From what Ive read and understand Pantheons Rogue is likeky to be pretty much a badass straight up dps. But if it has a path for more debuffing/utility than dps it might be for me.

The class Im most looking forward to though is Bard. Which I hope is realeased as soon as it can be. And is as fun as it is complex. Obviously a solid hybrid.

Lastly Im also entertaining the idea of any possible substitutes for Bard. So I will be paying close attention to some of the Magic class reveals to see if anything sounds like a badass buffer/debuffer.

Sorry Kilsin if my answer is all over the place, but yet again I just dont have enough info. Once I get more info on existing classes Ill be able to narrow it down more. But right now its less melee vs magic and more role and class design.
    • 1714 posts
    April 4, 2016 10:50 AM PDT

Koras said:

This is how I go about every MMO and I'm sure I will be considered a bit weird. My favourite classes in EQ was monk and cleric. With that said I've always started out with a melee, when I pick a class and race I never re-roll that class again nor do I roll an alt until I've reached max level and done quite some exploration and raiding with my main. I learn other classes by observing them in action and of course by talking with my fellow players to learn about their classes a bit more. When I'm done with that I will roll my first alt, a healer class of course, then rinse repeat. Usually I invest so much time in my characters that it's hard to roll another alt, but if I do it will certainly be a offensive caster next. :)

Not weird, unless I'm also weird. So definitely weird. But you're not alone. 

• 644 posts
    April 4, 2016 11:02 AM PDT

Krixus said:

Koras said:

This is how I go about every MMO and I'm sure I will be considered a bit weird. My favourite classes in EQ was monk and cleric. With that said I've always started out with a melee, when I pick a class and race I never re-roll that class again nor do I roll an alt until I've reached max level and done quite some exploration and raiding with my main. I learn other classes by observing them in action and of course by talking with my fellow players to learn about their classes a bit more. When I'm done with that I will roll my first alt, a healer class of course, then rinse repeat. Usually I invest so much time in my characters that it's hard to roll another alt, but if I do it will certainly be a offensive caster next. :)

Not weird, unless I'm also weird. So definitely weird. But you're not alone. 

No, not at all.     I always have an affinity for wood-elf druids (Lothlorien roots, I guess) so I start out with them.  When I saw how awesome an enchanter was I made an enchanter and loved it.  Same with Mage.  I usually admire a class then play it.  Unless I want to do things differently or made some stupid starting mistake, I never re-roll the same.  

• 11 posts
    April 4, 2016 11:56 AM PDT

Rattenmann said:

Kayo said:

Dropping bombs from a distance. And by bombs I mean "poison laced sharp objects." And by "sharp objects"....

...arrows, I mean arrows.

Magic is for unicorns, and hippies ... 

I am a unicorn, i knew it all along!

Fellow unicorn reporting in! Although, the true necro playstyle is more like a Sado-masochist unicorn partaking in chemical and biological warfare with reckless abandon. 

This post was edited by Bronky at April 4, 2016 11:58 AM PDT
    • 556 posts
    April 4, 2016 12:32 PM PDT

xtnpd said:

The red portion I feel is totally wrong here. Playing a tank as a first class is better since everyone knows you won't be geared. Once alts start rolling people start having higher expectations. It's always been easier imo for the first to be the tank if you plan to roll both. Plus, tanks normally get groups quick

• 1714 posts
    April 4, 2016 12:42 PM PDT

Enitzu said:

xtnpd said:

The red portion I feel is totally wrong here. Playing a tank as a first class is better since everyone knows you won't be geared. Once alts start rolling people start having higher expectations. It's always been easier imo for the first to be the tank if you plan to roll both. Plus, tanks normally get groups quick

Eh, it's a valid point. Melee classes are much more likely to be a twink than a caster. Get your druid/mage to max level and then roll a melee class you can buff/twink/etc. 

• 74 posts
    April 4, 2016 12:52 PM PDT

I reject the premise!

Make a caster that needs to be in close without being some melee tank mage thing.

With that said, I'm magic...at a distance and preferably close to a healer...but also behind the healer.

• 65 posts
    April 4, 2016 12:55 PM PDT

I'm a tank all day.  I like to be the guy in charge of staying between the rest of my friends and emanate death!

• 57 posts
    April 4, 2016 1:02 PM PDT

Lakland said:

A bit of both, and that is why I prefer to play a Ranger. I like to melee and used ranged (bow or cast). I like the ultility that the class offers.

If I had to choose just one, it would melee over casting though. There's nothing like being in the thick of it.

+1 here

• 176 posts
    April 4, 2016 2:50 PM PDT

I always play the melee tank. I had a Shadow Knight in EQ also which was a lot of fun but I prefer the Warrior.

• 9115 posts
    April 4, 2016 3:11 PM PDT

Nice, such a great mix of classes, it really is good to see! :)

• 21 posts
    April 4, 2016 3:35 PM PDT

Ranged all the way. My first love is a ranged healer. I also have enjoyed a ranged caster and a ranged support class. Ranged and magic makes me happy ^^

• 2138 posts
    April 4, 2016 5:11 PM PDT

I liked the caster class, but I always felt I needed to impress- you know- to make friends and to get groupage and hopefully get some folks regularly so that I could "ask" every once in a while for somethig I wanted/quested that was outside the normal doings.

so this time I might try a melee, or melee hybrid with majority on melee.

• 2419 posts
    April 4, 2016 6:11 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

What is your preferred choice, up close and personal or dropping bombs from a distance? :)

When I solo, I'm a root-rotter at heart.  As a Shaman, you pull with Malo, cast slow followed by Root. Drop your top Disease and Poison dots and watch for root to break.  Depending up the area, I could keep 5 mobs in camp rooted and their HPs ticking down.  As each died another was entering my camp.  It was diffcult but a LOT of fun.

But when I two-boxed either my Troll SK or my Troll Beastlord with my Shaman, pets were positioned so that where my melee engaged the target (again pulled with Malo and Slow) the pets would be attacking from the rear.  Slap on some DoTs on the mob and HoTs on the tank and watch the AA xp pour in.  :)

This post was edited by Vandraad at April 4, 2016 6:13 PM PDT
    • 16 posts
    April 4, 2016 6:29 PM PDT

I usually play clerics Or Paladins. I prefer being at a distance though. Warlock from vanilla wow was fun with all the various debuffs. The most fun I ever had raiding though was as a Vanilla WoW Paladin. I was a jack of all trades keeping buffs up on everyone and spot healing while meleeing some to keep buffs up.  

• 18 posts
    April 4, 2016 7:13 PM PDT

I love to tank, blocking AoE's with my face is always a great time!  So, up close and personal it is!