Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Have you ever felt the wrath of a GM?

• 279 posts
    March 20, 2016 4:49 PM PDT

In EQ for a while at the docks in North Ro there was a high level gnome npc that you could attack and he wouldn't fight back. So I was attacking him to level up my blunt weapon skill. Then out of nowhere I go flying high speed across the zone, smacking into a dune and dieing. If I remember it correctly the text said something like GM_***** slaps you. Anyway he just said STOP THAT and so I did and ended up losing xp for my sins.

In TERA there was a tree near a quest NPC pretty deep into a zone where you could walk through the whole tree and stand inside of it. So I would wait inside hidden from view for the lower level questers to come get their quest. While they were talking to the npc I'd dash out and slaughter them :P. After doing this for a while I was surprised myself to see a person come inside my tree with a different colored name I think and quickly figured out they were a GM and the gig was up. Well what else was I to do but stun him with a backflip kick and run away...he killed me after just a few steps of running though. He gave me a warning to not uses glitches but had no problems with slaying other players so long as I stay out of that tree.

I'll try to behave in Pantheon!

How about you?

This post was edited by Pantz at March 21, 2016 6:55 AM PDT
    • 263 posts
    March 21, 2016 12:22 AM PDT

No i never felt the wrath of a GM, but a GM has felt my wrath before and this more than once ;).

Back in the days of EQ2 i went over the GMs head because he was not willing to help me out, so i called up my internal contact back then and i could see the hit points he recieved.

• 624 posts
    March 21, 2016 8:36 AM PDT

Only uncovered 'glitches' (some might say exploits) for bug reports.  Never felt the need to

Pantz said:

wait inside hidden from view for the lower level questers to come get their quest. While they were talking to the npc I'd dash out and slaughter them :P.

Only had positive experiences with GMs.

• 308 posts
    March 22, 2016 1:27 PM PDT

Yes, i got chewed out by a GM-Admin in EQ early during Plane of Power when they had the experience bug; you experience bar filled and if you died you were reverted to 60 level.  The GM who logged my account in to fix it left my character in GM-Admin status (i wish i could find the screenshot of it) so i did what any honest self respecting person did, i sent him a tell directly.  He went ape$#@! on me saying he could ban me for sending him a directly tell, that players weren't allow to send them tells, etc.  I was floored, so i did what any self respecting person would do following that interaction, i went around plane of tranquility and tested the /kill command on NPCs.  Needless to say, after a few minutes he asked how i could see him in the first place (guess he was hidden) and i said something along the lines of 'well, i was trying to tell you that you or someone else left my account as a GM-Admin until you threatened to ban me'.  I never got an apology, just a 'oh log out and i will take care of it.'  The really interesting part of it was the tells i was getting from players asking me to fix their problems........

• 219 posts
    March 22, 2016 1:40 PM PDT

I have only had positive interactions with GM's. I do however, belive that GMs in MMORPGS should be given more leeway to interact with players. Once a long time ago when I played MUDS we had a very active GM force and they would show up while you were out hunting and talk with you or sometimes play very awesome tricks on you. They would turn me into NPCs or kill my character and resurect me with no penalty. These are just a couple examples. I just remember how awesome it felt to have a GM "hang out with me or us". I think more MMOs should embrace this and give players some fun interactions. Oh yea the GM quests in MUDS used to be the best and they always kept it inline with the lore. I would sit at my desk laughing during the whole quest line. They sure did spice things up.

Pyde Pyper

• 279 posts
    March 22, 2016 6:39 PM PDT

Reht said:

Yes, i got chewed out by a GM-Admin in EQ early during Plane of Power when they had the experience bug; you experience bar filled and if you died you were reverted to 60 level.  The GM who logged my account in to fix it left my character in GM-Admin status (i wish i could find the screenshot of it) so i did what any honest self respecting person did, i sent him a tell directly.  He went ape$#@! on me saying he could ban me for sending him a directly tell, that players weren't allow to send them tells, etc.  I was floored, so i did what any self respecting person would do following that interaction, i went around plane of tranquility and tested the /kill command on NPCs.  Needless to say, after a few minutes he asked how i could see him in the first place (guess he was hidden) and i said something along the lines of 'well, i was trying to tell you that you or someone else left my account as a GM-Admin until you threatened to ban me'.  I never got an apology, just a 'oh log out and i will take care of it.'  The really interesting part of it was the tells i was getting from players asking me to fix their problems........

Oops haha. You could have been so much more evil with all that power. They're lucky you're an honest self respecting person.

• 279 posts
    March 22, 2016 6:44 PM PDT

Pyde said:

I have only had positive interactions with GM's. I do however, belive that GMs in MMORPGS should be given more leeway to interact with players. Once a long time ago when I played MUDS we had a very active GM force and they would show up while you were out hunting and talk with you or sometimes play very awesome tricks on you. They would turn me into NPCs or kill my character and resurect me with no penalty. These are just a couple examples. I just remember how awesome it felt to have a GM "hang out with me or us". I think more MMOs should embrace this and give players some fun interactions. Oh yea the GM quests in MUDS used to be the best and they always kept it inline with the lore. I would sit at my desk laughing during the whole quest line. They sure did spice things up.

Pyde Pyper

Oh yah it's great when they interact . I remember something in EQ where one was controlling a Treant and killing those who attacked it. I think some higher levels were able to kill it in the end. Then in EQOA on went into Freeport as a giant ANT with millions of health. Everyone was attacking it and chasing it around the city while it was killing those who attacked. It was complete chaos. c

• 130 posts
    March 23, 2016 6:48 PM PDT

Never had much experience with GM's, but did hear a story from some people I knew who played on Test.  Some GM took control of Trakanon and chased players around, allegedly.

• 1468 posts
    March 24, 2016 3:50 AM PDT

I've never had any interaction with a GM at all :(. I feel like I've missed out on all the fun. I seem to remember going to a GM event once but that was about it.

• March 24, 2016 7:25 AM PDT

We must have had good GM's on Quellious, because they seemed to be pretty much on top of cheating and exploits, but they gave the benefit of doubt if it was your first time.  The only time I ever encountered a GM and was told "Don't do that anymore", was in a group in Overthere, right at the ramp to Skyfire.  We were pulling to the ramp from the road because we were pushing the limits of what we could kill and wanted an escape route.  Well, we found that mobs would turn into the ramp wall on their death march/run and just run against the wall instead of out into other mobs.  I know better now, but way back then I didn't even realize it was an exploit.  Yea, we didn't do it anymore.

Our GM's ( i think other servers did so as well) would do things like spawn Faydedar in Lake of Ill Omen during halloween.  Wow, the bodies piled up haha!  Or taking control of that vampire(?) in Mistmoore and running amok.  I remember a GM aviak in South Ro.  I also remember a GM showing up right next to me one night while I was trying to kill a krag elder in  Butcherblock mnts.  He watched and I almost died, but ended up winning the battle.  He said, "Nice fight!  Good Job!",  and left after a short conversation.  haha!   I think it might have had something to do with me applying as an apprentice guide, but it was funny.

They also did an amazing job at the in-character weddings.

All of my experiences with GM's were good memories.  I wouldn't mind helping out to create those type of memories in Pantheon.

• 9115 posts
    March 24, 2016 5:33 PM PDT

I am pretty biased but I have to say that VG had some of the best GMs I have ever had the pleasure of meeting!

The first encounter I had was in VG while playing on my max level Psionicist (when level 50 was cap), I had found that by using a combination of mezzes I could bug any mob out in the game, make them stand in the same spot and not attack or chase me unless I stood right up in their face, after doing this a few times and learning how to reproduce it 100% I called for a GM and had the one and only GM Ceythos (Corey LeFever) who was pretty impressed with the enormity of the bug and that I could repro it for him with 100% success rate, he proceeded to thank me and give me 5x Ceythos Lizard on a Stick treats which turned you into a really awesome looking lizard/monitor for a limited time, the next patch it was fixed and that was my first of many GM encounters in VG lol ;)

• 279 posts
    March 27, 2016 5:12 PM PDT

What a bunch of goody two-shoes. I see what's going on here. Let Pantz sell himself down the river while you keep your spots in the front of the testing line. I get it. :P

• 2419 posts
    March 27, 2016 6:52 PM PDT

I got suspended for 3 days after I was caught leveling up by attacking the invisible (and usually untargetable) 'pain and suffering' NPC that was in Paineel.  I learned to target him by holding and item in your hand and walk around clicking like you're trying to initiate a trade. He wouldn't defend and would instantly respawn.

I got threatened with a suspension for using 1) Gravity Flux in City of Mist to launch groupmates up to the upper level platforms so you could avoid the locked door, 2) using pathing to find locations to engage NPCs where by making minor movements the NPCs can't decide which path to take and so never actually attack you, 3) using Eye of Zomm and geometry bugs to pull raid bosses from their spawn to zonelines without moving..worked great for Avatar of War, King Tormaxx, Velketor, 4) using Shrink and/or Grow to exploit geometry bugs to get behind zonewalls though this was only useful in some zones.

• 9115 posts
    March 28, 2016 2:58 AM PDT

Pantz said:

What a bunch of goody two-shoes. I see what's going on here. Let Pantz sell himself down the river while you keep your spots in the front of the testing line. I get it. :P

It was a trap Pantz, now you're on my list lol ;) 

• 20 posts
    March 28, 2016 6:06 AM PDT

No I havent felt the wrath of a GM personally, but I have had one feel the wrath of me. I was playing and adventure in D&D online and encountered a situation that one of the quest npc's we had to kill went incorporial and hid in a wall. We couldnt reach the npc at all and when we tried to draw the npc out of hiding it failed. So I paged a GM to assist us, at first said gm was hesitant to assist us to the point of almost suggesting we leave the instance and reset it. At that point I became livid and asked for thier supervisor, within seconds the next thing I know the npc is dead and gone because the barriers to the room dropped. Thier next few words were about as much as have a nice day. The following day patch notes were submitted to make the quest npcs for that instance from ghosts to skeletons so they couldnt go incorporial anymore.

• 47 posts
    March 29, 2016 3:17 AM PDT

I got turned into a chicken. No explaination. No warning, simply running through a zone and...cluck...

• 428 posts
    March 29, 2016 8:20 AM PDT

Haha on a pvp server we had been fighting over a contested raid mob for hours.  everyone was training mobs attacking the raid force must have been at least 300 people split fairly even fighting to gain the upper hand and kill the contested. but there wasnt enough to block and pull.  I ended up training a bunch of epic trash on the raid pulling it at some point wiping them and we set up to attack.  GM pops in and shouts out wanna see something funny? and he one shots the contested mob :(

• 10 posts
    April 6, 2016 8:09 PM PDT

I came up against a bored GM one time.  Followed me around a forest in VG for a while, turning me into random animals.  I think from memory he made me act out each animal before letting me go. XD

• 801 posts
    April 7, 2016 6:48 PM PDT

Natakeu said:

have a nice day.

Id tell you really what that means to deal with the public.... but i will let you figure it out. Believe me most likely the GM wasnt nice.

• 263 posts
    April 8, 2016 2:34 AM PDT

Pantz said:

In TERA there was a tree near a quest NPC pretty deep into a zone where you could walk through the whole tree and stand inside of it. So I would wait inside hidden from view for the lower level questers to come get their quest. While they were talking to the npc I'd dash out and slaughter them :P. After doing this for a while I was surprised myself to see a person come inside my tree with a different colored name I think and quickly figured out they were a GM and the gig was up. Well what else was I to do but stun him with a backflip kick and run away...he killed me after just a few steps of running though. He gave me a warning to not uses glitches but had no problems with slaying other players so long as I stay out of that tree.

How about you?

That is SPECIAL right there folks! Where else are you gonna get storys like this. Pantz that is Epic while mean it still cool and this it what drives games to become special within our hearts and why we thrieve memories like this years later.

You truely are quite a character Pantz! our upmost repect to you man. We the Voices /bow to you...A well played trick !

• 263 posts
    April 8, 2016 2:39 AM PDT

Pantz said:

Well Pantz i wasn`t always good either but i made sure not to get caught! Or i always had someone else i could point towards and shift the blame;P See you just need a ("Bag of Tricks 12hour - this potion gives you an advantage towards GMs, It lets you charm your way out of trouble" Potion)

I asume you never got to find one of these rare potions!

• 15 posts
    April 9, 2016 4:06 PM PDT

A long time ago a friend in high school gave me software on a CD-RW that had MacroQuest on it.

Y'all know what happened next. Lost that account. :(

Had TONS of fun with it though while it lasted! I was too young to understand the implications it was causing too. Won't do that again!

• VR Staff
    • 529 posts
    April 12, 2016 2:50 PM PDT
    Never. GMs have always been my saving grace. I do seem to get into trouble with forum mods occasionally. Not sure why, Im usually pretty well behaved.
    • 9115 posts
    April 12, 2016 6:54 PM PDT

Truly said: Never. GMs have always been my saving grace. I do seem to get into trouble with forum mods occasionally. Not sure why, Im usually pretty well behaved.

Right, that's it! You just made my list, Truly! ;)

• VR Staff
    • 529 posts
    April 13, 2016 7:42 AM PDT
    No worries Kilsin. Totally on my best behavior.

Sorta.
    Maybe.
    We'll see.