Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

This is what you'll be able to do with the Unity engine in 2016

• 1468 posts
    March 18, 2016 10:29 PM PDT

I just saw a tweet from the Unity developers about what you'll be able to do with Unity in 2016 (the engine that Pantheon is built on). I thought it looked really impressive. If Pantheon can do anything like this I'll be absolutely amazed!

http://unity3d.com/pages/adam

• 176 posts
    March 19, 2016 2:39 AM PDT

That was sick! I will take half this good and be happy.

• 1468 posts
    March 19, 2016 2:46 AM PDT

Jamie said:

To be honest I'd be perfectly happy with the visuals in the Twitch stream. It looked pretty darn good to me but if they can improve it even more I certainly won't complain! But then I don't really play that many graphically intensive games so maybe I am just easily pleased.

I was just impressed with what the Unity engine could do. I always thought of it as being a little bit sub-par but I have been proven wrong with that video.

• 67 posts
    March 19, 2016 8:05 AM PDT

That's very impressive! Unity's coming a long way in a pretty short amount of time (at least it seems that way). Looks like they're starting to push into UE4 and Crytech's ballpark.

The photo-realism is very impressive.

As for Pantheon looking that way... I dunno. I admire photo-realism from a "wow look what can be done in real-time now. We're a long way from the Atari 2600" point-of-view.

When it comes to worlds to get completely immersed and lost in, though, I'm really partial to a more stylized, less photo-realistic approach. I prefer solid art design and direction over pixel shaders any day, all day long.

To me, even for a pre-pre Alpha, this looks gorgeous, and I can't wait to explore it.

This post was edited by Wolfsong at March 19, 2016 8:06 AM PDT
    • 124 posts
    March 20, 2016 8:24 AM PDT

Uhm... telling by that dudes re-action, I'd really rather not ...

• 11 posts
    April 2, 2016 7:34 PM PDT

Cromulent said:

Jamie said:

To be honest I'd be perfectly happy with the visuals in the Twitch stream. It looked pretty darn good to me but if they can improve it even more I certainly won't complain! But then I don't really play that many graphically intensive games so maybe I am just easily pleased.

I was just impressed with what the Unity engine could do. I always thought of it as being a little bit sub-par but I have been proven wrong with that video.

I was super suprised with what I saw in the Twitch stream. For a game in 'pre-'pre-alpha to look like that...obviously some very dedicated and talented people at VR. I backed the same day ;)

• 453 posts
    April 3, 2016 12:30 PM PDT

Bronky said:

I was super suprised with what I saw in the Twitch stream. For a game in 'pre-'pre-alpha to look like that...obviously some very dedicated and talented people at VR. I backed the same day ;)

/agree