Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Tolkien (spoilers)

• 93 posts
    March 10, 2016 11:51 AM PST

I read the Hobbit as a child and absolutely fell in love with that world, and the book. The way Tolkien described things was just so clear and lively. I experienced the same sort of immersion with his books that I experienced in EverQuest. I never got around to reading the rest of his books; while waiting for Pantheon I decided to start now. I just started the Hobbit again, and will be working my way through the Lord of the Rings trilogy. You can feel the cold rain and winds of the Misty Mountains, the anxiety and fear in Bilbo's soul when he riddled for his life in a pitch black cave with Gollum, the triumph and sorrow in the songs of the dwarves regarding their home in the Lonely Mountain.

Does anyone have any recommendations on books that provide that same feeling of immersion and fantasy? I was told by some friends that the Dark Tower series by Stephen King was pretty good. This is just a thread to discuss the beauty of Tolkien's work, and fantasy. I'd like to hear others opinions about his books and if you experienced a similar feeling from them. No spoilers please!

Far over the misty mountains cold
    To dungeons deep and caverns old
    We must away ere break of day
    To seek the pale enchanted gold.

• 194 posts
    March 10, 2016 12:05 PM PST
    I really loved The Gunslinger. I read the next few in the series but then waited around a few years for book 4. I tried getting back into it, but couldnt. I'm not sure if I'd just forgotten too much of the story, or if the later books just lost the feel that the early ones had.
    • 428 posts
    March 10, 2016 12:18 PM PST

I love the wheel of time series.  The first book is slow but the other 12 I love.

The shannara Series by Terry Brooks

The Magic of Recluse I loved.  Little slow in some parts but great world.

I am a Huge R.L salvatore/Drizzt fan.

Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind

Midkemia Seris by Raymond Fiest

The Dragon Bone chair by Tad williams 

This post was edited by Kalgore at March 10, 2016 12:20 PM PST
    • 194 posts
    March 10, 2016 12:49 PM PST
    Goes without saying, but George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" is incredible as well. Who knows when we'll see the next book though.
    • 311 posts
    March 10, 2016 10:31 PM PST

Don't forget Dragonlance, Margret Weiss and Tracy Hickman, Also Dragonlance "The Legend of Huma, Kaz the Minataur" by Richard Knaak. Also huge fan of forgotten realms, R.L. Salvatore Drizzit. Another good set of books if you like Halo game they have books on those The fall of Reach, The flood. Wheel of time is good too agree that the books are slower but still good haven't read the new ones from his son though. Like George Martin also just read the Game of Thrones books. With all those books if you're an avided reader should keep you very busy for awhile.

• 578 posts
    March 11, 2016 1:36 AM PST

Not sure if you are into sci-fi but the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown is REALLY good. I'm not the biggest sci-fi fan but this series has really captured me. If I could describe it in any way I'd say it's sort of a modern day Star Wars. It's a HUGE sprawling epic that revolves around the story of a young man trying to break the chains that bind his people to slavery under the surface of Mars. They are fed lies and are led to believe that Mars is uninhabitable and so their work which is drilling and mining for resources is for the betterment of the world when in reality it is just a form of slavery. I don't know if you will 'feel the cold rain and winds of the Misty Mountains, or the anxiety and fear in Bilbo's soul' but there are so many different characters great and small, so many rich areas and worlds they travel to, and a lot of action that is all done well.

Other series I liked recently have been Daughter of Smoke and Bone which is about bad ass angels that tattoo bars on their hands and arms to account for all of the chimeras they kill. And my guilty pleasure that I really love is The Arcana Chronicles which starts off with the Poison Princess. It's YA but a very violent read set in a dystopia and revolves around an ancient war game played by 20 some kids who represent the 20 some tarot cards.

I've read the first Game of Thrones book and it was very good. And I've read the Gunslinger's first book and it was alright. I never made it to book 2 though. Someday.

• 378 posts
    March 11, 2016 1:39 AM PST

All Raymond Fiest stuff, you need to start from the start with Magician and you won't put it down

David Eddings, Anything he has done ;)

The Swords Trilogy, by Michael Moorcock

• 384 posts
    March 11, 2016 6:44 AM PST

Many great recommendations so far!

If you've not read The Name of the Wind or The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, what are you waiting for? =) Really good.

Brandon Sanderson also has some excellent novels, The Mistborn trilogy, The Way of Kings are a couple that come to mind. He also wrapped up the Wheel of Time series after Jordan died.

Have you ever read anything by McKiernan? Classic high fantasy stuff. I haven't read all of the The Mithgar Series but I really enjoyed The Iron Tower and Dragondoom.

Anyway, have fun exploring! This reminds me that I need to read more! =)

• 428 posts
    March 11, 2016 11:13 AM PST

Zandil said:

All Raymond Fiest stuff, you need to start from the start with Magician and you won't put it down

David Eddings, Anything he has done ;)

The Swords Trilogy, by Michael Moorcock

I forgot David Eddings.  Some great books right there.  most of pretty short but amazing job done

• 109 posts
    March 12, 2016 10:03 AM PST

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Malazan-Book-Fallen-ebook/dp/B00HL0MA3W

$84 dollars, with all the books included you are looking at 10's of thousands of pages of what is imo the greatest fantasy ever written. No exaggeration there. This set is the tops, do not miss it and thank me 6 months down the road when you are done.