Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

UNITY 5 question

• 144 posts
    March 8, 2016 5:21 AM PST

Hey all,

My question about unity 5 is this.  How do you make a hole in the terrain so you can create a dungeon entrance.  I have been playing around with Unityalmost since the start of patheon.  Its only a hobby to me.  I am ready to start working on my first dungeon and outside of buying a prebuild asset dungeon I am not figuring out how to make a hole in the terrain.

Is it possible?  Is it a script.  I am a bit lost on this one.

Thanks

~Chaam

• 9 posts
    March 8, 2016 5:46 AM PST

There are a couple of ways to do this. In the editor where you can make terrain, you will see the tools to raise and lower your terrain. So, if your max height and depth are say -100 and +100 then when you start digging into your terrain with the tool then you will bottom out at -100. So you need to test and decide what parameters you will need to "dig out" the terrain so you can make that dungeon entrance.

Another way, is to just make everything on the same level, like just start making it on the base plane that unity starts with.

• 163 posts
    March 8, 2016 8:52 AM PST

I don't think that you'll be able to accomplish what you want without using 3D assets. Unity terrains are meant to be eddited vertically, not really horizonatally. You could get something done with very advanced shader scripts, but using/making 3D assets is the easier and more versitile way to do it.

John gave me a piece of advice on this. He said to learn to make your own 3D assets, it'll be much more rewarding in your environment building when you do.

This post was edited by Gadgets at March 8, 2016 8:55 AM PST
    • 671 posts
    March 8, 2016 9:28 AM PST

Chaam said:

Hey all,

My question about unity 5 is this.  How do you make a hole in the terrain so you can create a dungeon entrance.  I have been playing around with Unityalmost since the start of patheon.  Its only a hobby to me.  I am ready to start working on my first dungeon and outside of buying a prebuild asset dungeon I am not figuring out how to make a hole in the terrain.

Thanks

~Chaam

Hye bro, glad to see you posting.

I too have been playing with Unity and a matter of fact, I have payed ($$) for a few friends to take Unity classes for me, as I thought most of us would already be helping on the Pantheon build. But for some reason, the developer forums are non-active and there are no support from Visionary Realms, like there is from Lord British & Shroud fo the Avatar.

I had set aside a good chunk of personal time this winter for Pantheon project, only for it to be squandered away on these horrid forums. I have easily wasted $10k on 2 (high end) world building rigs... that now sit because there is no Developer forums, and no direction from Visionary Realm. (Overzealous..?)

I am also sitting on more $$ to donate, once we get a full commitment from Visinary Realms... that we can participate in design, or quest/mob ideas, etc.  But as it stands, months wasted and total silence. I was hoping Visionary Realms will have a weekend, where we can head out to texas and see first hand the process and builds, so we can get to work. I have several enounters drafted up, just waiting to show my hand.

Damn Monty got us all involved when making that Staff, then his shows dried up and he never got into world building, or other types creative content.

Sorry Chaam, I know nothing of the toolsets in Unity, I have been studying the engine itself and what it can do. I am not a painter, or drawer..

• 9115 posts
    March 8, 2016 4:21 PM PST

Hieromonk said:

Chaam said:

Hey all,

Thanks

~Chaam

I too have been playing with Unity and a matter of fact, I have payed ($$) for a few friends to take Unity classes for me, as I thought most of us would already be helping on the Pantheon build. But for some reason, the developer forums are non-active and there are no support from Visionary Realms, like there is from Lord British & Shroud fo the Avatar.

I had set aside a good chunk of personal time this winter for Pantheon project, only for it to be squandered away on these horrid forums. I have easily wasted $10k on 2 (high end) world building rigs... that now sit because there is no Developer forums, and no direction from Visionary Realm. (Overzealous..?)

I am also sitting on more $$ to donate, once we get a full commitment from Visinary Realms... that we can participate in design, or quest/mob ideas, etc.  But as it stands, months wasted and total silence. I was hoping Visionary Realms will have a weekend, where we can head out to texas and see first hand the process and builds, so we can get to work. I have several enounters drafted up, just waiting to show my hand.

Damn Monty got us all involved when making that Staff, then his shows dried up and he never got into world building, or other types creative content.

Sorry Chaam, I know nothing of the toolsets in Unity, I have been studying the engine itself and what it can do. I am not a painter, or drawer..

Pantheon and SotA are two completely different games with different goals and development processes, to claim that you or anyone else was going to help build the game directly in the Unity engine is a fabrication hieromonk, you are getting SotA and PRF mixed up as that is what SotA offered, not us mate.

The assistance the dev team required was purely verbal and text-based in the form of ideas, suggestions, discussions, feedback etc. which was not only carried out, gathered and used for the last 2 years but it helped us immensely to get Pantheon to where it is today and we thank our community for that, they will be able to see a lot of what they suggested and gave feedback on in our upcoming twitch stream!

Only the very high-end tier of pledges gave you the ability to help design items/quests/boss mobs etc. and in the latest pledge revamp, we removed a lot of them due to the game already being at a stage that we could no longer offer new pledges that included those options, we still have the $10k option to help design a dungeon or raid with our design team, so if you have that kind of money spare and wish to design, please feel free to grab the Ascendant's Pledge and get started.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/join/pledge/

Monty has his hands very full with world building and design, among other things and what he has been working on and is working on currently cannot be streamed live, but recently he has started streaming again with things that we can show to the public, so be sure to follow him and adjust your setting to get notifications for when he goes live, so you don't miss any of it! :)

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at March 8, 2016 4:50 PM PST
    • 1095 posts
    March 8, 2016 4:40 PM PST

Hieromonk said:

Chaam said:

Hey all,

Thanks

~Chaam

You have got to be on something haha.

You can't sersouly think you were going to help build the game.

Can't wait to be in game with you man lol. I wanna play on your server.

This post was edited by Aich at March 8, 2016 4:41 PM PST
    • 1095 posts
    March 8, 2016 4:44 PM PST

Kilsin said:

we still have the $10k option to help design a dungeon or raid with our design team, so if you have that kind of money spare and wish to design, please feel free to grab the Ascendant's Pledge and get started.

So, for those of us with this, (me), Get started on what? Should I have access to different sub forums?

• 9115 posts
    March 8, 2016 4:51 PM PST

Aich said:

Kilsin said:

we still have the $10k option to help design a dungeon or raid with our design team, so if you have that kind of money spare and wish to design, please feel free to grab the Ascendant's Pledge and get started.

So, for those of us with this, (me), Get started on what? Should I have access to different sub forums?

No man, by get started I mean take the first step and purchase the pledge! lol ;) 

When we get into testing and overcome a few hurdles we will start the process for adding things like this from pledges but nothing is set to a specific time frame yet.

• 1095 posts
    March 8, 2016 4:52 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Aich said:

Kilsin said:

No man, by get started I mean take the first step and purchase the pledge! lol ;) 

When we get into testing and overcome a few hurdles we will start the process for adding things like this from pledges but nothing is set to a specific time frame yet.

Cool. Thanks :)

• 9115 posts
    March 8, 2016 5:49 PM PST

Aich said:

Kilsin said:

Aich said:

Kilsin said:

Cool. Thanks :)

You're welcome :)

• 144 posts
    March 8, 2016 6:15 PM PST

Thanks for the positive feed back, and I am sorry if it went off track.  I play with unity as a hobby.  It may be directly related to how much I wanted to see Protf succeed.  Then along came Monty,  that dude is an artist.  I also love to watch it when he streams or does time lapse.

Thanks Monty

~Chaam

• 163 posts
    March 9, 2016 7:28 AM PST

Would love to see some screenshots of your progress if you ever decide to share.