Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Gaming in the 2010s

• 170 posts
    January 28, 2016 7:25 AM PST

*NOT TRYING TO OFFEND ANYONE JUST MY OBSERVATIONS*

What is with today’s gamers? It seems that everything has to be available to everyone, just show up, log in and Walla! You have everything everyone else has. You are max level in less than 3 months, you have all the same raid gear because you showed up and now you are off to the new flavor of the month.

What I liked about Everquest & Vanguard was you had to earn things. In Everquest especially. You had to worry about gear space, banking, encumbrance, travel, eating, gaining back health and mana, etc. everything wasn't a race it wasn't go go go. Why can't a game be difficult, require skill, be lucky, and definitely be free to play so they have to make it Buy to Win so they have the income to add content.

I really am hoping this is the successor to Everquest and Vanguard where reputation mattered, you couldn't be an a$$hat or you'd be shamed on the forums and never get another group or raid invite. A game with mystery, random GM events like getting Rubicite drops in Cazic, Killing Mortificator and the Totemic Helm actually dropping. Things that made you feel special if you eaned it. Why can't it be possible for you to get that rare spawn and get that rare drop but like in Everquest it might take checking the same spawn spot for months to get it?

I remember playing Everquest and it being months before I was able to even do Lower Guk and I was a Troll it was in my starter area. I had to go out travel and level for a year before I could come home to my Innothule swamp and actually go into lower guk and yell camp check?

As a casual gamer because of Family and Work I don't have the ability to be hardcore, but I'd like my game to be immersive. I want to travel to another continent and camp something for weeks to get a drop and then travel to a new spot to get my next drop.

If I am the oddity that thinks some games should be difficult and have danger can I make one request and one request only? Please at least give us a hardcore server rule set if nothing else that way you can appeal to masses for funding and game sales but appeal to those of us that want travel to be slow, leveling to be hard and dangerous.

Thanks VR I have faith I might not get all I want in this game but I'm sure it will be better than the latest crop of MMOs. 

• 2419 posts
    January 28, 2016 9:56 AM PST

Early game developers, especially in the MMO genre, made games they wanted to play so they filled them with ideas, concepts and mechanics which they liked.  Corporate interests, once it was realized the market potential for MMOs could be in the tens of millions made games that would appeal to everyone.  Give everyone as many options as possible to do what they want when they want it. That quickly became the default expectation of the playerbase, that I, the player, should be able to do what I want how I want when I want.

• 63 posts
    January 28, 2016 11:41 AM PST

Yeah, it's the whole "the customer is always right" thing. If someone doesn't like your game, they'll leave, drive down key business metrics, and corrective action will be taken to prevent more people from walking away. The idea that Pantheon will be a boutique game catering to a niche audience is applaudable, I just still remember the heartburn Vanguard gave me back in college. I sold all my buddies on that game and I ended up buying more than a few rounds of drinks to make up for it.

I'm optimistic that Pantheon will be all that and a bag of chips. I mean, I'd rather be disappointed after giving something a try than surprised that I've been missing out on something great.

• 2419 posts
    January 28, 2016 3:09 PM PST

Talvaris said:

Yeah, it's the whole "the customer is always right" thing. If someone doesn't like your game, they'll leave, drive down key business metrics, and corrective action will be taken to prevent more people from walking away. The idea that Pantheon will be a boutique game catering to a niche audience is applaudable, I just still remember the heartburn Vanguard gave me back in college. I sold all my buddies on that game and I ended up buying more than a few rounds of drinks to make up for it.

I'm optimistic that Pantheon will be all that and a bag of chips. I mean, I'd rather be disappointed after giving something a try than surprised that I've been missing out on something great.

Vanguard's issues weren't that it was target market was too small to support it but that it was poorly implemented in so many ways.  Conceptually Vanguard was brilliant.  It failed because of technical problems.  Technically Pantheon should have a solid foundation from Unity.  It's success really rides upon the acceptance of the concept.