Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Game Servers

• 9115 posts
    December 21, 2015 4:54 AM PST

What do you look for when choosing a server to play on that may end up being your home for the next few years? :)

• 384 posts
    December 21, 2015 5:11 AM PST

I always choose an RP server. Even though I'm not a huge RPer, I've found the community is usually better. 

• 91 posts
    December 21, 2015 5:13 AM PST

PvE/RP Server. Optional some sort of "Premium Server" (like Legends, EQ), to get rid of the Kids and have some fun-events with the GMs there :P. Also the server should be dedicated for EU/Germany,if there'll anything like that. If not (EU/German), players needs to coordinate (on the official forum, for ex.) their pref. Server. So i have a bunch of german speaking friends with me, to etablish a guild.

* PvE/RP

* German- (EU) Server

* Maybe some sort of "Premium Server"

• 9115 posts
    December 21, 2015 5:46 AM PST

Malsirian said:

I always choose an RP server. Even though I'm not a huge RPer, I've found the community is usually better. 

I always have a character on an RP server too and have similar experiences, I also tend to care for my RP characters more and play more slowly  and enjoy everything around me compared to when I push to level or rush on a normal server with friends/guildies, it;s good to have that downtime and soak all of the Lore and immersion up sometimes :)

• 9115 posts
    December 21, 2015 5:48 AM PST

lyrina said:

PvE/RP Server. Optional some sort of "Premium Server" (like Legends, EQ), to get rid of the Kids and have some fun-events with the GMs there :P. Also the server should be dedicated for EU/Germany,if there'll anything like that. If not (EU/German), players needs to coordinate (on the official forum, for ex.) their pref. Server. So i have a bunch of german speaking friends with me, to etablish a guild.

* PvE/RP

* German- (EU) Server

* Maybe some sort of "Premium Server"

Yeah, nice Lyrina, solid points for choosing a server, I must say location can play a very big part in performance which affects your gaming experience quite a bit, so getting that right first up is pretty important unless people don;t mind lag and just enjoy being on other servers, which is fine too :) 

• 72 posts
    December 21, 2015 6:23 AM PST

Server selection for me always involves these 3 things:

1) PVE or PVP

2) Time Zone (East Coast vs. Central vs. West Coast /// European vs. American) 

3) Unique Server setting (Like EQ's Firiona Vie)

However, while all of those play a role, the biggest and usually most overlooked factor is how much information we're provided about the servers before launch. MMORPG releases have come and gone without providing its players any server information and it's made me look back at their releases with a negative outlook... When this happens, the morning of release, my guild mates and I are all going crazy deciding on a server so we can get started right away. 10 of us might pick a PVE East Coast server but find out 20 of our guildmates started later on a West Coast PVP server...

Well looks like the first 10 of us are rerolling... That is incredibly frustrating and something that can easily be fixed with a little communication :D

- Furor

This post was edited by Furor at December 21, 2015 6:25 AM PST
    • 15 posts
    December 21, 2015 6:26 AM PST

Popularity and setting.

I tend to roll on highly populated PvP servers so if I finish the PvE content there's always something to carry on with. :)

• 9115 posts
    December 21, 2015 6:35 AM PST

Furor said:

Server selection for me always involves these 3 things:

1) PVE or PVP

2) Time Zone (East Coast vs. Central vs. West Coast /// European vs. American) 

3) Unique Server setting (Like EQ's Firiona Vie)

However, while all of those play a role, the biggest and usually most overlooked factor is how much information we're provided about the servers before launch. MMORPG releases have come and gone without providing its players any server information and it's made me look back at their releases with a negative outlook... When this happens, the morning of release, my guild mates and I are all going crazy deciding on a server so we can get started right away. 10 of us might pick a PVE East Coast server but find out 20 of our guildmates started later on a West Coast PVP server...

Well looks like the first 10 of us are rerolling... That is incredibly frustrating and something that can easily be fixed with a little communication :D

- Furor

Absolutely, most "decent" games provide at least a description of the server in their forums or the server selection menu itself and the guild thing just comes down to guild communication lol, I have been there before man and it sucks! lol

• 9115 posts
    December 21, 2015 6:36 AM PST

Kaelang said:

Popularity and setting.

I tend to roll on highly populated PvP servers so if I finish the PvE content there's always something to carry on with. :)

Yeah, nice Kaelang, that is a smart move :)

• 62 posts
    December 21, 2015 6:43 AM PST

I tend to play at odd hours so for Pantheon, I would pick the most populated server to increase my chance of finding groups late at night or early mornings. For other games, I just go with whatever the game defaults to, it doesn't matter much since I can probably solo all the way to max level.

• 668 posts
    December 21, 2015 6:49 AM PST

I tend to select PvE servers that my friends have chosen or I have chosen first.  To me, it is all random luck which players you will encounter and establish relationships with as well as what history will take place.

• 1778 posts
    December 21, 2015 6:57 AM PST

Good server physical location (sometimes those pings just kill me), if possible. If PvE, Ill be looking for a high population server. If PvP, same deal. 

I have a couple of friends that will come on board later, and we will get on the same server together.

• 79 posts
    December 21, 2015 8:20 AM PST

I answered this on Facebook as well but the first thing I look for is typically just location/latency if that info is available. I haven't joined a lot of games after they've been around for a while so I don't typically do a lot of research into the servers themselves. If I have any friends on existing servers, I will go there. If I am joining fresh, I will try to find a server that has a reputation for a friendly community but you usually don't know that until you've already invested some time on one. I've certainly found that older servers typically have stronger communities and more lasting players. Any time I've joined new servers they usually end up loaded with power gamers and cast-offs to control the high-end content and not much else.

• 2419 posts
    December 21, 2015 9:14 AM PST

Kilsin said:

What do you look for when choosing a server to play on that may end up being your home for the next few years? :)

If I am in a guild before the game starts, it will be on whatever server the guild chooses.  But if it is up to me, it would be a PVE server, possibily special ruleset (depending on the rules) and as close to west coast USA as possible.

• 154 posts
    December 21, 2015 2:17 PM PST

I used to look for smaller population servers and ones that were in the same timezone. I think this time I will go for more populated servers though because I think in general the larger population server "level curve" during the first few months tend to result in at least some people at lower level who are moving slow where as the smaller population servers that could become an issue.

• 1714 posts
    December 21, 2015 5:07 PM PST

Short of what Furor said, but population would be one of the only indicators to me. 

• 75 posts
    December 21, 2015 5:28 PM PST

Oceanic :) lol - 
    critical issue for me (in Aus) latency, can be significant difference between west cost and east coast and EU.

I want a highly populated server but not necessarily max population.

I want to be able to coordinate with my guild prior to launch so that we end up in the same place - too many time have games not given enough advice about servers prior to launch and then in the mad dash to get on people get split...annoying

RP/PVE for reasons mentioned above 

• 106 posts
    December 21, 2015 6:48 PM PST
    Does server location have that much affect on a game these days? I get over seas being an issue but is it an issue in the 48 states? Been a while since I have gamed.
    • 2138 posts
    December 21, 2015 7:15 PM PST

I prefer the RP, PvE server. A game like this I like to spend alot of time in, on one character, and explore all the possibilities. It is this kind of Server I would stick with, especially pursuing all the "horizontal" possibilities that Arradune mentioned in another post.

• 9115 posts
    December 21, 2015 7:15 PM PST

Narben4 said:

Oceanic :) lol - 
    critical issue for me (in Aus) latency, can be significant difference between west cost and east coast and EU.

I want a highly populated server but not necessarily max population.

I want to be able to coordinate with my guild prior to launch so that we end up in the same place - too many time have games not given enough advice about servers prior to launch and then in the mad dash to get on people get split...annoying

RP/PVE for reasons mentioned above 

Yeah, I feel your pain mate it can be really tough for us :)

• 9115 posts
    December 21, 2015 7:17 PM PST

Nice replies folks!

I am especially liking all of the RP love across these forums, Twitter and Facebook, if this kind of attention keeps up we will most likely have some really cool RP servers with different rulesets :)

• 75 posts
    December 21, 2015 11:39 PM PST

Simples said: Does server location have that much affect on a game these days? I get over seas being an issue but is it an issue in the 48 states? Been a while since I have gamed.

i have gamed across many MMOs - latency makes a difference.  US based servers have often meant that instead of playing the game, i was anticipating the game.  I was often moving prior to boss mechanics "just incase it was at me".  While it may not appear much 240ms ping is a big deal in progression content.

Recently us Australia based folk have received some love - SWTOR and WoW to name a couple, i believe Wow still has oceanic servers but SWTOR stopped them.  Playing a server with 20ms ping was ridiculously nice, and removed the anticipation factor - if boss targetted me i could move, no random moves more focussed on playing.

Depending in internet connection the issue magnified.

unlikely that there would be much difference from State to State in the US.

• 79 posts
    December 22, 2015 8:02 AM PST

Ruleset, ping, names I want available, population.

Easy. :)

• 122 posts
    December 22, 2015 8:13 AM PST

Honestly, in the past I always just looked for decently populated (but not over populated) with a good server loc. I like the RP idea though. I do usually have an RP server toon, but it's never been my main. I agree the communities tend to be better there, so maybe I'll start there this time.

• 116 posts
    December 22, 2015 10:16 AM PST

I will be going for a standard PvE server with a name I find appealing. I would prefer not to see a West/East coast division since it evens out population a bit around peak time. I made some nice west coast friends back in WoW than I wouldn't have prior to removing that division.